1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Arm

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Certainly liked seeing the deep ball to Claypool yesterday but with all the screens and dink and dunk play calling I wonder if the team is hiding something or just easing him back in. He’s going to have to throw down field much more at some point.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hopefully just easing him. But without OTAs, timing on long stuff isn’t good and can
    Lead to interceptions. Hopefully we get stretched a little more Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben scares me & it's not his arm. Best shape of his life, body language of my grandpa.

• Like Like x 2
  4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did anyone ever consider that they're trying to get the ball out quickly because of a young and weak oline?

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I thought this as well. Gone are the days of scrambling and bombing

6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Different QB coach so some nuts and bolts things are a little different. His arm strength passes my admittedly amature eye test. I also take Ben at his word when he says his elbow is pain free.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree that his arm is beginning to get into shape. That said, I hope a consistent Rushing Attack takes shape soon. Better to use that arm in moderation as opposed to chucking it 40+ times a game.

I do not think he will last if that is done.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I think we can all admit that we collectively held our breath the first couple of offensive series' yesterday because of the overall inexperience of the right side. I was very pleased with both Okorafor and Dotson. The need to keep Ben healthy and clean is paramount if this team has any hope of reaching the promised land.

9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    As Tomlin will be Tomlin, Ben will be Ben. We will not be seeing the James Conner rushing for 2k as Terrell Davis did for Elway. I personally think the offense has more flow when they are in four wide sets. Conner seems to run better when the offense is spread more so than tight.

10. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I dont think they are hiding anything, but easing him back into it may be part of it.

I also read an article on Steelers Depot last week about how denvers defense is unique the way their secondary plays and doesnt give up alot of big plays. Here is the link:

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/09/matchup-to-watch-steelers-vs-broncos/

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This, Conner does run better when the offense is spread more. I can usually tell when we are going to run the ball when in tight formation, if I can do it so can the opposition. Running 4 or 5 times in a row at the beginning of games is just crazy. We run better when Ben throws a couple in a row and it opens up the running lanes some. But Tomlin will be Tomlin.

On a side note we are one of the worst scoring teams in starting series of games.

12. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Probably easing back in. He didn't look like there were any issues last game. You can normally tell if something critical is happening. Probably just light rust.

13. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I would think they are easing him back. It would be reckless to have him throwing full bore right away.

The irregular way teams have had to prepare for the season probably factored into it as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    his arm strength is fine his accuracy and timing are terrible.

15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That thread title scared the hell out of me. I thought something happened.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe because Conner isn't capable of putting up numbers like Davis did :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not worried about Ben's arm, he has a stronger arm after surgery than all those other old QBs Brady, Brees, Rivers.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I understand the injuries and inexperience of the line, but nor using our new FB more and not designing plays to the RB's strengths are just mind boggling. Is this the design, or Ben just reverting to old habits feeling he has to throw? I know it's a fine line, but get some consistency and get the run game going. 50 or 60 yards rushing going into the last minute of play just won't cut it. The Ravens did not have a 100 yard runner Houston, yet had 230 team yards (54 by Jackson). Not saying we are going to get that many yards, but we need to average 150 team per game to get where we want to go IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Never really had surgical accuracy. He has a rapport with JuJu, somewhat with DJ. Needs more time with Claypool and Ebron. I'm just happy the zip is there and he is pain free. Not sure how far the ball traveled on the Claypool TD, but it was at least 45, 50 yards(?) and he made that throw effortlessly.

20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

His deep ball has never really been an issue. He just frequently throws high, behind, or both on quick slants etc.

21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Just watching the game replay now. 55 yards. More impressive was an earlier throw to JUJU that was a laser.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Really hope the offense looks more in sync this week. Getting DD back and now 2 games under our belts really no excuses to be sloppy. I don’t believe Houston’s D is anything to write home about although they have probably played the 2 best teams in football.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    If they can contain Watson it's a W. We have some speed on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Agree Roonatic keeping Watson in the pocket and making him throw will be the key. We let him get outside and be a dual threat they way our secondary is playing could get ugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Our secondary will be in trouble on the broken plays. Can't expect them to cover forever. Watson is pretty good at not forcing throws.