1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Giants MNF rating down 17%

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That is a good point. On the golf course I was talking about Joe Burrows and telling people they could see him on TNF and a lot of the younger guys said they had to switch to basic cable and no longer get the NFL channel.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yeah, I think a ton of people were on the cusp of getting rid of the NFL channel and the Sunday ticket because they were just too expensive and this sealed the deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This would be me this year. Thankfully my cable provider is giving a sports package that includes the NFL channel & redzone for only $5 more a month.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I ditched DirecTV and started streaming Hulu, etc... last September. It cut my TV entertainment bill in half. The rates for cable and satellite TV are ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I never said it would "kill" football. I said this is why ratings are down. I'd be willing to bet $ less kids watch the game and that's because they have other interests. For decades everyone said Soccer would never be popular in the US. Well they're wrong. I'm in the midwest and most high schools have soccer programs just as big as their football programs. Our particular HS has 4 soccer teams and 2 football teams. This is a big reason ratings are down. the facts support this.

All of your other points are exactly what I stated...so sounds to me like you agree. lol I listed points as to why ratings are down and they all have validity.

Your passion for football or the fact that you are so sensitive you can't deal with others expressing themselves for 60 seconds before a game is really irrelevant. With out the human players you don't have a game. The fact that you can't deal with a person kneeling or putting a name on a helmet is hilarious. I guess this is the world we live in now. I remember when football was tough and so where the fans. I also remember when blatant hypocrisy was frowned upon. Does it bother you when players and coaches go out of their way to let everyone know they are christian? What does that have to do with football right?

At one time (back when America was so great for a certain demographic) the national anthem before a sporting event was never a thing - unless it was an Olympic event or we were united in a war ... maybe we should go back to that so people like your self don't have a melt down. If you think about it , why the hell are we singing our anthem before a for profit corporation showcases their product? Should we do the pledge of allegiance right before black friday ? Do the pledge and sing the anthem ...then run into a walmart ....beat the hell out of your fellow Americans over an xbox...and then feel satisfied no one knelt before the mayhem?

Throughout history athletes made political statements. I can picture you people booing Jesse Owens in Munich.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What are you doing for Steelers games?

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Hulu Live. Local CBS station carries most 1pm and 4pm Steelers games. I've got ESPN and NBC (local) in the Hulu package for prime time games.

I don't have NFL Network and my local Fox station is hit or miss for Steelers home interconference games.... which there's 2 per year and this year it's: Redskins and Eagles... both at 1pm.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    well you guys must be right about everything because if i had written what you did i’d be getting a yellow flag for political speech, i guess it depends on which side your on. as for being alienated, i’d say there has been a substantial amount of alienation over the past 400 years. do yourself a favor and stop watching all sports a read a book on history and climb out of the bubble, it can suffocate you.

as for the NFL taking a hardcore stance, i’m pretty sure the military and police get there share of appreciation from the league. by the way, the police are not a race, it is a job that you can walk away from.

9. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    there is hope in the world!!! great post!!!!

10. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020

Your third paragraph nails it! Very well said.

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Well you guys must be right about everything because if I had written what you did I’d be getting a yellow flag for political speech. I guess it depends on which side your on. No. I would say there is a pretty substantial difference between how I worded my post, and the argumentative nature in which you worded yours.

As for being alienated, I’d say there has been a substantial amount of alienation over the past 400 years. Im not talking about the last 400 years. My question was purely hypothetical. In this current political climate, what if the NFL did the exact same things it is doing now, except in support of law enforcement? My point being is that it would leave a bad taste in your mouth, and any one else who feels the same way as you about these issues. The job of the NFL is to put on a competitive football league for it's customers, which would be us the fans of the league.

Do yourself a favor and stop watching all sports and read a book on history and climb out of the bubble. It can suffocate you.
    @We need a change , you will notice I took the time to capitalize your words and add some much needed punctuation to your post. Do yourself a favor and and at least use proper capitalization, and punctuation when you post. We all make spelling errors, typos, and use poor grammar from time to time. But when you don't even take the time to capitalize, and use punctuation it makes your posts a little hard to follow.

As for the NFL taking a hardcore stance, I’m pretty sure the military and police get there share of appreciation from the league. By the way, the police are not a race. It is a job that you can walk away from. Being a Police Officer is indeed a choice. It is also a choice to be a criminal.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  12. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    did he commit a crime? that you know of? or has he been accused? Our system of government allows for citizens to receive due process. Due process is not a bullet to the back of a juvenile. Save the police lecture because i did the job for 25 years.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How far are you going back? I have been standing for the national anthem at home Steeler games for 51 years. And I doubt they started just because Mac and I showed up that day.

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Who? Antwon Rose? I haven't brought him up even once. But since you did, Antwon Rose would have received due process had he made better choices. Being involved in a drive by homicide and then fleeing the police is a sure fire way to get shot at by the police regardless of your skin color. Had he not resisted arrest, he would have had his due process / chance to prove his innocence in a court of law.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think most NFL fans are happy to see players honor a police officer or veteran who lost their life in the line of duty. But most fans don’t support players honoring criminals.
    I’m not gonna get into all the politics of it, but I think that’s the gist of it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This. It’s been a thing in NASCAR as long as I can remember also. I think what may have happened though is they started requiring the players to be on the field during the playing of the national anthem and televising it?

17. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Took longer than I thought for someone with a differing opinion than theirs to call someone a racist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Allright folks. Let's tone this thing down a bit. Talking about whether or not controversial non-football activities will affect fan interest is arguably football-related. However, some of this (on both sides of divide) has gone well beyond football-related discussion.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Could be. Maybe they also never televised that part?

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey HeinzMustard

Even though the Bengals did not win, I think Burrow did outplay Mayfield from a statistical standpoint. I am glad after the way they played like crud against the rats the other day. I was hoping for a Brown's win as I just despise the rats. They were a complete joke in that game; especially as they have been hyped up so much, again, in the pre-season. They really did not play all that great against the Bengals either IMO. Sure they scored over 30 points and they gave up just about as much. They suck.

Again, each year, there is a media lovefest for the Browns. Add them in the crap-pile with the cowturds, rats, cheats, now the succaneers since they got tommy boy. I have only once seen the Steelers on any sports channel as I channel surfed throughout this past pre-season. The odds are I should have seen them more than the one time that I did. One time while I was surfing, the cowturrds were on three major sports' networks at the same time.

Sticking with the the cowturds, finally, something was said about the unjust attention that they get from the media year after year. It was the guys from Pardon The Interruption. They admitted to the audience that it is them and the other sports' networks that continue year after year to drool over them when they have accomplished nothing in such a longtime. That it is unjustified. Then I asked myself: "Then why do you two keeping talking about them?" I guess they have no control over the topics of discussion is what I concluded. I think they just conduct the show with some or little input as to what material is to be presented.

What I have noticed in regards to the Steelers over the years is that when they are a news story it always seems to be something bad or controversial in nature. Trust me, I watch enough TV to have noticed this and that we do not get anywhere our equal exposure time. We will have to win the Super Bowl to get our props. A task that I believe we are built for.

Go Steelers!

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Let’s keep this on topic. It’s safe to say we all want Steelers to be good this year and no need for politics to divide us, regardless where anyone stands.

• Like Like x 2
  22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey HeinzMustard.

I agree with you on all points. Here is one of the things that really has turned me off to a degree over the years. Passing plays in which the intended receiver did not make the catch. Then he turns back to the referee and signals the wanting for a flag by repetitively throwing his hand/arm up and down in the air. Too me, it seems like it works quite frequently. I do not recall seeing this type of behavior from former greats like Swann, Stallworth, Lipps and Ward to name a few. Just "disgusting" as I say around here.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Viewers could not turn the volume of the terrible ESPN announcers off and listen to the homer golden voice of suspended Bill Hillgrove! That has to account for some of this.

24. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I must have missed when the Steelers honored a criminal.

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I am guessing the family of the drive-by victim didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.