1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Giants MNF rating down 17%

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The ratings will continue to drop and then the players will blame the fans...Saying, "This proves our point, that people are racist and don't care"

Actually IMO, and many of my friends...People just wanna watch Football and can't! I'm pretty sure EVERYONE knows what's going one with BLM and systematic racism in this country but...

It's overkill, too much...That's all the media is shoving down are throats! I was do pumped for NFL Football, I love it! But leading up to the games, pregame, during the games all I saw was...

" What will the players do, will they kneel? if so, how many? Will they stand? 2 Anthems now, Whole teams staying in the Lockeroom and not even honoring our National Anthem at all! CRIMINALS on their Helmets, when before guys got fined for honoring CANCER AWARENESS!

I'm a Football geek, fantasy player, just love it...But the first week it was all about getting this narrative forced upon us...

I also come from a Military Family, and know many Military Veterans, and unlike how social media is spinning it ..Everyone of them, To a T are saying " I'm done with the NFL ( all sports really ) because of the disrespect...Not sure where they keep finding these people that say" That's why I fought for this country, So they have the freedom to make that choice "

Work, Bars, Restaurants, everyday chit chat, people are pissed and so tired of it... NFL players keep playing this hard line, tough guy stuff...I don't think it's gonna end well for them

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    For once, I'm interested in Bengals/Browns. It's gonna be hilarious if Burrow out plays Mayfield.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll watch Steeler games but not many others.

Until after the elections, I’ve pretty much lost interest in watching TV.

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm giddy to see the Browns implode after 0-2. Why?
    1. The headhunting of Mason
    2. Garrett is a sack of sh!t that belongs on a 0-fer team if he must be allowed in the league.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Is the 100th anniversary of the start of the American Professional Football Association ...Sept 17, 1920 in Canton, Ohio....2 years later it would change its name to the National Football League.

Hence Sept 17 2020 Cincinnati at Cleveland.. right up the road from the football HOF in Canton Ohio.

Big celebration was to be at the HOF before covid.

HACK

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I own a restaurant. We do not discuss politics (if a customer makes a comment, we nod politely). We don't wear masks with anything but pretty patterns or our logo. Business is business, and politics is politics.

That being said, I prefer my football message boards the same way. I see another future locked thread.

• Like Like x 2
  7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Well said. There's plenty of appropriate online venues for political discussions. This forum should be about the Steelers and Steelers only. I'm very politically opinionated, but I don't want see politics in any form on a Steelers message board.

8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Same, but it's difficult for the subject not to creep into our football discussions when it is pervasive throughout football. The NFL made it about politics when it chose sides.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh I agree, but is discussing one possible reason for decreased ratings really political? Yes, the reason is political, but it's not as if anyone is debating it here.

For example, I listed my reason but have no interest in debating it with anyone. If others disagree with me, and I know some do, that's fine. This isn't the place for that discussion, but I see no issue with mentioning social justice reasons as one of the issues affecting sports.

10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I bet the QBs love it though... plus the O-lineman. No crowd noise to deal with.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You people do realize that politics has been at the forefront of football for well over 30 years right? The unfurl huge American flags from sideline to sideline and have players and coaches hold it. The annual pick for the national anthem singer at the Superbowl is almost as criticized as much as the halftime show. Flyover by local military air squadrons. TV producers writing 3 inch thick guides to producing NFL games which include wide shots of both team benches and close ups of players with their hands over their hearts mouthing along to the anthem. The New England Patriots winning of the SB after 9-11. The presentation of the flags by military color guard. That and more all ok with people before Kapernick began trying to bring racial inequality to a bigger stage. No one saying quit bringing politics and social justice into my entertainment. No one saying shut up and play quit waving you flag in my face. No one saying this turns me off and I don't want to watch the games anymore. However the national conversation happening now isn't for football right? They should just smile and cash their checks while waving the flag so we can get back to our politics free football.

:roflmao: God i love irony.

12. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    It wasn't exactly a marquee game. Watch the ratings for the chiefs and ravens in 2 weeks.

13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Couldn't agree more!!! The only game I watched was the MNF Steeler game, and was proud of how My Steelers handles the National Anthem. I hate racism and I believe in equal Justice for All BUT,—-BUT I don’t believe the narrative cops hate blacks, Whites are just guilty and privileged and BLM is an Organization that truly cares about its own people.

I watch sports to get away from the news, work stress, home issues And the everyday pressures of life!!! Politicize sports has ruined it for me and I hope they rank and go broke OR do a reboot and Focus on The Game and the Fans.

I knew nothing of Antwon until I saw the reports of his name on the helmets. So the Steelers are supporting and defending a guy who tries to MURDER someone and gets killed by a cop while resisting arrest.... yeah, Rooney, you’re losing me. Looks like AV said not on my helmet and I see Pouncey said he was changing it too.... hopefully This will be rectified !!

Go Steelers
    Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I for one didn't/don't agree with the marketing of our armed forces, in football or anywhere else. Honoring our flag I don't have a problem with. I also understand that the flag has different meaning for different people.

15. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    There’s a difference in Patriotism And Politicizing......

How many players in the past been fined for A name on their shoe or John 3:16 eyeblack or PFJ wrist bands??!!

Now we have two anthems, a black one and a national one. The Ravens ALL stood for the black one AND All Kneeled for the National one.....

Once a time, long ago the National Anthem was played and all the players were in the locker room, then they stormed the field! The Military paid the NFL and asked to have the players line up on the sidelines for the National Anthem to help build Patriotism so recruitment would be easier. That has its own issues but at least it isn’t defending criminals and Criminalizing Police Officers and shaming white people.

Just wish we could enjoy the game of a couple hours. Players are NOT my Moral Compass!!!

Cajun

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    sadly it is Steeler related with AV breaking ranks and now Pouncey joining him against the Steelers decision to support a criminal to show how they support social justice.... sounds crazy, never thought we’d ever get to point where I choose a good book over football on Sunday afternoons!!

cajun

17. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I agree with the overall NFL product being poor. Whenever the Steelers have a big play, the first thing I do is anxiously wait to see if there's a penalty that calls it back.

18. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Its not just sports. Corporations are doing the same thing. It can’t be escaped anymore. Most people are over all this crap already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It is down because everyone is cutting cable, fake news!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Who? LOL.

21. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    ratings are down because:

A: there's plenty of other sport options out there... kids don't play football like they used to. Soccer and lacrosse are huge in our area schools. It's been that way for a long time.
    B: the quality of the game is bad. Less athletes playing...less talent. The difference between college and pros is smaller than ever.
    C: New rules. Less violence makes the NFL significantly harder to watch. The only reason to sit through the endless commercials and stoppages is to see the violence. That's illegal now.
    D: Officiating... people have had it with the horrible officiating. This is probably the biggest reason I only watch the steelers games for the last 4-5 years. I'm ultra competitive and when the rules and officials dictate the games with bad flags or no flags when they should be called...what's the point of watching? Some games are so bad you have to wonder if the fix is in. How many wins have been stolen from us?
    E: Patriots cheating... when you have a dynasty built on cheating...and really nothing was done to punish them... screw it. If you are a fan of a team that never wins...why even bother watching?

....ok maybe there's a few ultra sensitive nut jobs out there that can't deal with players actually having opinions different from their own.... I'd say many of those people are flat out racists but either way it's a small percentage of childish adults that are largely brainwashed into being miserable pricks. I say screw them anyway...you don't want those fans...they scare others away from becoming fans.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    This. The league is more concerned with manufacturing hero's (reminds me of Disney tv or popsinger farming) than the integrity of a honest game.

23. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    If I walked into a bar and the bartender tried pushing Trump or Biden down my throat I'd leave and go to another bar. If I listen to music I don't need Robert Plant telling me what to think. If I hire a hooker I don't want to hear her thoughts on religion. Likewise, if I turn on a football game I don't need to be lectured by a bunch of multimillionaires on social issues. Hey Goodell, it's not that complicated! Stay in your lane or watch the league crash.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You don't want her screaming "OH GOD"?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I disagree:
    1. No sport will ever kill football in the USA
    2. The quality of the game has steadily digressed.
    3. The rules have been a cluster **** for a long time.
    4. The officiating has been a cluster **** for a long time.
    5. The Patriots have been cheating for a long time.
    And I never lost my passion for football. This social injustice BS has already made me refuse to tune into any game until ten minutes after kickoff, and I am only going to watch a handful of games other than Steelers games. The owners may die by their own sword.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.