1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Reid

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by We need a change, Sep 16, 2020.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Seems to me the Steelers did a pretty good job stuffing the run on Monday night. It was pass coverage that showed deficiencies.

It is too early to tell what Edmunds will be this season. I haven't given up on him. I could care less how many tackles my starting safety gets as long as he is solid in coverage, and makes the right reads once the ball is snapped. That's where Edmunds struggles, and Reid does as well.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2020-9-17_0-42-3.gif

• Like Like x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they both made 9 tackles last week.:cool:

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Cancer comes in many forms.

5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I am optimistic with Edmunds......I know.....that's pretty optimistic......but!

1. Fitz will make him better.
    2. We've only seen one game this year.
    3. Last week was NOT a good test because of the fact that we focused the game plan on Barkley leaving the secondary high and dry.

Think about this........how many games do you think Fitz will have where his name is never mentioned...... like last week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Thank God elections only happen once every four years!

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well if reports were true back when that happened he almost lost his job with the Steelers. I’d be willing to bet that if he wasn’t a Steeler at the time that we would have no interest in hiring him.
    Most NFL teams the majority of the time avoid signing guys who they know are going to be a distraction.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Whether you like it or not teams factor in a players character and potential distraction before handing out a contract.
    Sometimes the risk is worth the reward, but most times it’s not. These are things that a player needs to think about before making some of the decisions that they do.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    And some left on their own.

10. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    As long as everyone is staying on topic :blink: let's talk about Reid's stats compared to Edmunds

In 6 out of 7 of his years, Reid had between 41 and 77 combo tackles. That is worse than both of Edmunds' years.

Last year, Edmunds' was second for the Steelers in combo (105) and solo (71) tackles behind Bush. It is just the nature of the Steelers' defense that they never have 1 player put up monster stats. It is a team effort. Carolina had 3 players with more solo tackles than the Steelers' leader, but as a team Carolina had a lot less solo tackles (663 to 749).

Reid got those stats last year in a defense that was 32nd in run defense (by yards/attempt). The 2 likely options are he got those tackle stats because the rest of the Panthers' defense (outside of Kuechly) were terrible, or that Reid's contribution didn't meaningfully help their defense.

For people complaining that Edmunds is a 1st round pick, not all 1st round picks are equal. He was picked 28th. That is closer to the 2nd round than it is to a mid-1st round pick. Derwin James was 11 picks higher, but his tackle stats are only marginally better than Edmunds. A top 10 pick is worth twice as much as a 28 pick, and a top 3 pick is worth three times as much.

(I would agree that I want to see better play out of Edmunds. This is just to put some perspective on how "bad" he is.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Michael Brillhart

Michael Brillhart New Member

Sep 4, 2019
    If there was a safety we should have signed it was Tre Boston a couple years back. Good at his position, cheap, and wouldn't have had to waste a pick on Edmunds.

Although we might not have picked up Minkah had we done that but I wish they would move him to LB and get another safety to replace him.

12. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    so if Barkley caused a disagreement in the Giants locker room or caught a DUI or weed charge you wouldn’t want him? right

13. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    thank god pandemics are usually only every 100 years!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    your post is exactly why is started the discussion, a conversation about actual performance as a played

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I want to agree but the Vick signing makes me think twice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Fair enough. I was just responding to you as you intended. I think, based on the points I listed, that Eric Reid doesn't bring more than what we have in Edmunds strictly as a player. Whether or not he is a better player than Edmunds is debatable and that's what worries me. Too many negatives (new scheme fit, communication with Fitz would take time, horrible pass defender, age, contract demands) to take that kind of risk. If we were talking about someone like Earl Thomas this would be a different argument, but Reid is just another guy. Terrell Edmunds is basically just a younger, cheaper Reid. I think we should probably just stick with that.

17. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Reid won't get any better...he is what he is. Edmunds, though there's no guarantee, could still have that light bulb go on and get a lot better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I did say majority of the time not every time.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If he got charged with some type of drugs then I probably wouldn’t be interested. I don’t run the team though that would be the Steelers decision to make. I’m quite sure it would factor into the decision on whether or not they offered him a contract.
    The whole point is that right, wrong or indifferent teams consider all this extracurricular stuff before handing out contracts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dupree showed flashes when he was healthy those first four years. He was not as bad as Edmunds. Edmunds is invisible on his best days. He makes no big plays. The guy has 32 starts and only one interception. I don't like judging defensive backs solely on interceptions, but how does he end up with none last year with that pass rush? I don't see him doing much against the run and he is constantly getting beaten in coverage.

This isn't new. He didn't make many big plays in college, either. The upside just seems to be so limited. Nobody disputed that Dupree was a first-round talent. That simply isn't the case with Edmunds, who was a huge reach.

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Flashes? Maybe in his injury shortened second year... But he played 31 games during his 3rd and 4th seasons and managed 6 and 5.5 sacks respectively. People were upset that his 5th year option was picked up because he was "horrible and only got sacks against TE's and backups". I cant tell you how many times I saw "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" when seeing people post about Dupree. It can take some guys longer for the light to turn on. Especially with the Steelers propensity to take underclassmen with their first pick. I'm not saying that he will become the same level player Dupree is, but you cant write Edmunds off over his first two seasons. He's shown just as much as Dupree had through his first 33 games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Which is the more infuriating scenario?
    A 1st round talent performing like a 3rd rounder or a 3rd round talent not performing like a 1st rounder? Jesus, give the kid somewhat of a break. He didn't draft himself in the 1st round.

Say Terrell does finally line up his ducks in year 5. Who are you more disgusted with then?

23. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
  24. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011