1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers D wowzers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Sep 14, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Randy Fitchner did not fully trust Mason Rudolph. Given that, I doubt he was going to turn the script for Lamar Jackson. Add the fact that Pittsburgh did need a safety and Lamar was not the pick.

That said, I initially wanted Ronnie Harrison. I thought he was good enough to be a First Round pick. Given the fact that the Steelers brought the house to Alabama's Pro Day in 2018, it is hard for me to believe that Tomlin was squarely looking at RaShaan Evans; the Minkah trade being the prime example of this.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin admitted to hanging the secondary out to dry to limit Barkley. Melvin Gordon is a good RB, but he's not as good as Barkley. Steelers won't be selling out to stop Gordon like they did Barkley while exposing the middle of the field. I'd bet money that Fitzpatrick, Nelson and Haden have a better game vs Broncos than they did against the Giants.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That Giants team is not as horrible as you make them out to be. Far from it. If yesterday was any indication, I saw a Giants team that was out matched in talent but not overwhelmed handling adversity. For that matter, the NFC East just got a whole lot more interesting.

Andrew Thomas, Daniel Jones, SaQuon Barkley, Evan Engram, Dexter Lawrence, Leonard Williams (assuming they extend him) and Lorenzo Carter are all rock solid pieces. They need an impact, play making defensive back. Once they have that, the G-Men will become competitive again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

If anything, Pittsburghs secondary is likely to key in on Cortland Sutton if he returns. If not, Noah Fant. That guy is primed for a "Sophomore Surge".

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Their qb needs reps in the NFL, he looked green against the Titans. Edmunds, Bush on their te & Gordon should be our major problems.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    So our defense isn't good enough to stop an elite back running behind a pedestrian O line without selling out. Doesn't sound like a superbowl defense to me. It also doesn't sound like a superbowl coach.

Screw Tomlin and his experiments. He's a great motivational speaker pretending to be a NFL coach. What a poser.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The defense limited the Giants offense to 7 points, made game changing plays, and ultimately helped the team win with the game plan. I am not sure what you beef is at this point?

Time will tell if they will become a Superbowl caliber TEAM. It takes a TEAM to make it to the Superbowl. Whether you like it or not, admit it or not, Tomlin is a Superbowl caliber HC. Stop being a hater.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    When people debated who would fare better without the other, I said "one person doesn't make a team and one person leaving won't kill a team" There is no question how good Brady is/was but he was one cog in a fine tuned machine.

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    As has been wisely pointed out, Jones may have looked good because our focus was on Barkley. Tomlin's words were that he "put the secondary in harms way with the game plan"

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Daniel Jones had a 79 rating while Barkley had 6 yards. Old man Ben had a 117 rating and we won. What more do you guys want? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    New coach, off a 4-12 season. I think it's fair to say they are horrible.

12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Fixed

13. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    The defense limited an average offense to 7 points while our secondary got embarrassed. Our front 7, as I've stated already, was stellar. The NUMBERS paint your picture. The eye test, and logic, paint mine. My beef is that a complete, superbowl caliber, defense doesn't need to sell out to stop an elite running back running behind a pedestrian O line. My beef is with our Head Cheerleader thinking that a good gameplan is throwing your secondary under the bus.

You think that our secondary was happy about being put in that position? Being put in a position to fail? That gameplan, by all rights, could have easily cost us the game. Tomlin is a Superbowl caliber cheerleader, and I'll hate all I want, thank you very much.

I loved his unity speech. He's probably a great person, father, and husband. But he sucks as a head coach in the NFL. Disagree if you want. I don't really care. Neither of us are going to change the other's mind on this subject. Keep creaming all over the guy, makes no difference to me. You're entitled to your misguided opinion, and I'm entitled to mine.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The defense is not simply just selling out to stop SaQuon. They are selling out because SaQuon Barkley is the Giants Offense. Without him, the Giants Offense cannot do much of anything.

Daniel Jones has not matured yet to the point of carrying the team. Until he does, any team on New York's schedule will continue to stack 8+ in the box and sell out to stop the run. One major aspect that is common within any Super Bowl Defense;

Take your opponents strengths and nullify them. See to it that you continue to do so. Attack for 60 mins. Pittsburgh accomplished this.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For now.

Give them another year. They will be heard of again assuming Daniel Jones improves. If he does not, well...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Personally, I want/wanted to see a defense ready to compete for a superbowl against any team. Last year, I said numerous times that our pass rush was hiding deficiencies in our secondary and that if the ends didn't get home and disrupt timing, that the secondary would be exposed. I thought/hoped that our secondary would be better with Minkah and co. having last season and this off season to prepare/gel. The pandemic kept a lot of that from happening, granted. But I thought/hoped that a defense without much change would be able to put it together quicker.

If Tomlin handcuffed our secondary, then I should direct vitriol towards him instead of indicting the secondary. So I'm concerned, moving forward, that the secondary is going to be a liability either by their own lack of ability or by the lack of competent coaching. Way too much riding on this season for another Tomlin failed experiment at coaching.

17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    In 2019 pass defense Steelers were:

3rd in ypg
    4th in qb rating
    6th in cmp %
    7th in avg yards gained

If that’s not good then I don’t know what is

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Me and you both.

Only a handful of teams can stuff SaQuon like Pittsburgh did. That performance was a Defensive Football Clinic for Week 1 of this season. No other Defense came even close to that level of domiannce.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    First game, no pre, and to be honest the entire scheme to stop the run really left the CB's vulnerable. Not worried about Nelson at this point. Agreed Edmunds is the weak link, yet watching Moats podcast he thinks Edmunds is doing far better than the fans. Oh well, giving up only 17 pts to most any team in this era is a good night, especially when you stop them from inside the 5 two times and they only come away with 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One thing is certain. Something isn't quite right with you. Especially when considering that you have a high level of hate in your heart. Being overly emotional/hateful generally doesn't allow someone to be rationally or think logically. So you are right in that you are going to paint the picture that you want regardless of final out come of the game. In your mind it's like the Steelers loss the game. Strange very strange indeed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Garbage time td as well so we held them to 10. Still, you have to count that as if they scored and converted an onside and scored again we would be singing a different tune lol

22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Your statement looks good on paper...in reality, not so much.

Daniel Jones picked apart our secondary. He has matured more than you say. And it's more than obvious that teams will gameplan to stop the opponent's strengths. But there's a difference between game-planning and selling out. Selling out is NEVER a good option. Handcuffing half your defense is NOT good coaching. The guys on the other side of the ball are professionals as well.

And as far as your assessment of Superbowl defenses goes, one-dimensional teams are rare in the big game. A defense that has to sell out to stop the opposing offense is likely to put the pressure squarely on its offense to win the game.

23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    In the NFL it’s not as simple as saying “our defense is great we should crush this crappy offense automatically!”

There are so many variables and things that can change during a game, for instance like that PI call vs Haden that allowed the giants to almost score but got an int instead.

numbers go up and down and usually a good to great defense you’ll see the points/yards allowed trajectory go down vs other teams.

great defenses are allowed to get blown up every now and then, coaching is a big factor as well and sometimes you get out coached.

bad defenses have the same issues week in and week out. Our defense has been stellar and clutch for 2019 and now 2020.

don’t expect shutouts In today’s nfl is what I’m saying. It can be done just don’t use that as a standard

24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We did sell out and forced Daniel to beat us and he was, but our defense tightens up in the red zone and they also adjusted as well. Jones had a 79 rating after it was said and done. Bellichick nullifies your best weapon and it seems our coaching staff was doing that. I still don’t see the issue

25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Read what I said. Please. For the love of God. Please.

I said that our pass rush was hiding deficiencies in our secondary and that if the ends didn't get home and disrupt timing, that the secondary would be exposed. What was the strength of our defense last year? It was our pass rush. It was the best in the league at disrupting the pass. The times it failed to get home, our secondary was exposed. But it didn't happen much, so the numbers paint a prettier picture than what was really happening. Was it good enough? Yes. Was I happy with the overall performance? Yes. Was I concerned about the completeness and limitations of the defense? Also yes.

And game one of this season showed exactly what I was concerned about. When we were not able to disrupt the pass, our secondary was exposed. And we will see much much better offensive lines with feature backs and better qb's. If we have to sell out against better offensive lines with a more polished signal caller, our offense will have to win those games because our secondary will get lit up.

• Agree Agree x 1