1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steven Nelson got his ass kicked Monday night

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 16, 2020.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    But no one wants to talk about that right? Too busy picking on the newest whipping boy Edmunds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Nelson for me is the least of the team's concerns. I do agree though that Monday Night was his worst outing as a Steeler. That said, I have confidence he rebounds Sunday against Denver.

Terrell however, is another proverbial can of worms all together.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t want to talk about it

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think any of them played very well or very bad. I think what they are asked to do with so much blitzing going on leaves them vulnerable. Just like Vince still covering Barkley on several plays. It all harkens back to butler and how he's putting them in tough situations. Trying to stop a few things opens up other things. NY exploited those other things.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Nelson has proven that he has the ability to play. Edmunds, not so much.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Where were the others as Edmunds was all over the field making tackles? Haden had a terrible game. Where was mr. Wonderful Fitzpatrick with his two tackles on the night? Scheme caused this to look worse then it should have been. Edmunds shouldn't at all be blamed for this.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Problem is edmunds has yet to look good any game. Haden, Nelson, Fitzpatrick have shown they can play more often than not. Still waiting for edmunds to make a clutch play, or stop, or just do anything lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Their plan was to stop Saquon, and make Danny Boy beat them with his arm. That meant 7 guys in the box and 4 guys on islands. Sometimes 8 and 3.
    They stopped Saquon, and outside of one throw after a ticky tack PI penalty, Danny couldn't do it. Not blaming anyone in the defensive backfield for anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We easily won and the D played great.

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Nelson gave up as many touchdowns on MNF as he did the whole entire year last year.

I chalk it up as a bad game, Daniel Jones made some good plays though too.

But you can see where the Steelers defense emphasis was, destroy Barkley at all costs.

You can argue with the game plan it worked pretty well.

Throw out a muffed punt return ( 3 points) and a so-so call at best PI on Haden (they would of punted)
    That was 10 points. Steelers probably hold G men to 7 points.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The 1st touchdown was actually Haden's fault. He was suppose to cover over the top. They called an under. Minkah comes up and Haden is suppose to drop back over top.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Minkah Fitzpatrick only gave up two passes on three attempts for eight yards per Pro Football Reference. I am good with that. For that matter, much like SaQuon Barkley, Joe Judge's commitment was to ensure that Daniel Jones does not throw anywhere near the vicinity of Minkah. Going in that neighborhood often spells disaster.

By comparison, Terrell Edmunds was targeted seven times. Of those seven times, five passes were given up to the tune of 60 yards. Considering Daniel Jones hit his targets nearly 72% of the time when he targeted Terrell, I would have done the same thing. Never mind Daniel Jones though. Drew Lock is going to likely do the same.

However, Evan Engram was just the beginning. Noah Fant is becoming a star in the making. I would not be shocked if Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur goes after Terrell Edmunds again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Edmunds played in the box a lot, made a lot of tackles, and was fine. He is not nearly as bad as a lot of people like to claim. His big issue is that he does not make plays on the ball. Hopefully he can step up that aspect of his game but he is generally in the right position and a good tackler. We can and have done a lot worse at the position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Edmunds is a great athlete, I will give him that. He can stay with guys and run them down fairly easily.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin said their gameplan was to stop Barkley, the secondary was put in some bad spots because of it, on that long TD Nelson gave up I think Haden was supposed to help deep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It was a great throw + Haden being a step slow there

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Not his best outing. Let's hope he rebounds.

19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    "Some men are gonna pick up a paycheck this week and have to leave some money on the desk. They're gonna have to go hungry a little. This is Varsity. You have to eat big. Can't be bringing Home salad money."
    can't you just hear it? Hahahahahahaha!

20. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree. I thought he was terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I agree. Terrell is a great athlete who has loads of potential. The biggest question has never been his athletic gifts.

The question is now that can he become more than just a stable force?! Can he make plays?! So far, the answer is no.

22. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    On the offensive PI call he was at least beginning to look back for the ball when he was grabbed. That would have been a possible INT.

23. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    If it continues to happen, then it's a big deal... but the dude was solid as hell last season. Edmunds is an issue that continues to be an issue.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not giving up on Edmunds but if he is on the same buggy and cart that Bud took to get here, he’s running out of time.

25. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I think if they move Edmonds to Inside Linebacker he would be in the pro bowl in two years and would be better than Williams