1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Assessment of Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Sep 15, 2020.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    How do you guys think he looked besides looking rusty and slow? lol

anyone notice any hidden injuries? I noticed he was shaking his hand like when it falls asleep and also a slight Leg limp but nothing crazy. Anyone notice anything else?

I think it’s safe to say he may suffer an injury even minor during the season. I hope he can last. What do you think his ceiling can be?

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He looked like an old man that just got up in the morning with holding his knee & trying to wake his hand up.

His passing looked good though. Still has the timing down also. Not scared to run for the first with his old man body either.

Our leader looked like he can take us far.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The Gunslinger days may be gone.

His passes seemed to have more air/float to them and he didn't seem to be that hard to bring down.

The old Ben would have put up 40 on this defense. Where were the 30 yd passes on 3rd and 2?

Best news for Ben is that a toothless Denver Broncos defense is up next.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rusty,

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Rusty, but I think he will improve as the season goes on. His experience and ability to read a defence alone makes him so valuable over his replacements however. It’s great to have him back.

Big worry is his protection given all the injuries in the OLine

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He’s firing those back shoulder passes. As long as the WRs step up and realize it’s not Duck throwing ducks, he’ll be fine.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I thought he looked pretty good except for those overthrows.

Definately rusty in the first but then got into a groove. Read the defense well, had good pocket awareness, and him running was awesome. He forgot to hit the speedburst button though. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I think he played really good. He threw 3 TD’s no INT’s. He made some good timing throws to guys like Johnson and it looks like he has a ton of weapons to throw too. I look for Claypool to be used a lot more as we move forward here especially with the deep ball. He is gonna be really good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought he looked great considering he hasn't played in a year. There was a little rust, but honestly, less than I expected. He did throw 3 TDs and had a decent little run. I think he's still got something left in the tank.

• Like Like x 2
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    When I saw him limping a bit in first quarter I almost turned the TV off. No way I can go through another season like last year.

He is going to take some hard hits for sure. No way around that. If he can give us 12-14 games we should make Playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    If a 117 QBR is rusty, then I’m a happy man.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Roethlisberger exceeded my expectations. The first quarter sucked, but offense started to roll in 2nd quarter and half. Snell needs to remain the starter at RB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    To say he looked rusty after the lay-off is accurate but also very pre-mature, anyone would be rusty after that lay-off. They said it had been 624 days since his last TD pass.

I think the fact that he gained momentum and poise is exactly what I wanted to see and I expect him to get un-rusty pretty quick:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I got really nervous on twitter the media was saying Mason was warming up on the sideline, I thought Ben was injured again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think he got his mojo over the course of the 1st half. I was really pissed at him for the dumb red zone sack, but that’s part of what you get with a guy like Ben who doesn’t like giving up on a play. The gunslinger giveth and taketh away. Otherwise he played smart and solid.

Overall a very encouraging Week 1 from Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Just goes to show the value of Twitter:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Me too, but thankfully he knows he can depend on the D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Ben has always started out slow. He has never looked like a HOFer the 1st 2-3 games of a season. If what we saw last night was Bad Ben then this year is going to be special

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    No preseason (not that he played much anyway), limited practices due to covid, year off from football...... I think he looked fine and made good decisions...... mind you it was only the Giants, but we'll see as weeks go by. I think he looked better than Brady, Manning, and Rivers.... who are all similar age range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Brees didn't have anything on him.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree, Ben looked very good!

Brady = One player doesn't make a team.

Rivers = Most over-rated player in the NFL

Manning = Which one?

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Other than that I thought he looked Rusty and slow.

He always looks slow. The rust started coming off. He’s like watching the Tin Man.

23. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He zipped one or two passes that had some steam on them, though I think both were dropped. Several passes where he threw before the receivers made their break - with that type of trust and timing, I thought not only he but the passing offense was pretty stellar for a first game. We should be a pass first, run second offense from here on.

24. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Even during Ben's prime he usually looks bad for the first few games of the season. This has to be one of his better season openers so pretty happy.

He did look like he was in some pain which has me concerned. I hope Tomlin goes out of his way to protect him. I noticed when Ben was walking his left arm was limp like it was dead. Maybe it was just my imagination but it did look like he was in some pain and was protecting his left shoulder? Maybe my imagination? Today might be rough for Big Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yes he was holding in some pain and yes we should be concerned. I think I will take closer look at body language, this was his first game off injury and could just be he’s not conditioned yet