1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive line injuries

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by turtle, Sep 14, 2020.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    the negative story line of week 1 for sure...

too early to speculate, but does Feiler move back to RT if Banner is done for a spell?

Former Steeler Jerald Hawkins is available as is C Patrick Morris if Hassauener has to cover somewhere else. Couple Ts like Jared Veldheer and Cordy Glenn but haven't followed their careers either.

Do we bring someone in?

2. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Does every team have someone each week go out for the year like the Steelers do every year? Man, this last few years its every week its someone.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would bring back Hawkins as backup. There is familiarity there. Regarding the plan you spoke Of, @SteelCity_NB spoke about that already in the GameDay Thread.

I would not be surprised if that is the current plan going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Derwin James.

Cam Newton (Carolina Panthers)

Jason Verrett.

T.Y Hilton.

Malik Hooker.

A couple more but these are the few that stand out to me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Zach Banner
    @ZBNFL

·
    30m

I love you Pittsburgh. I love this game. We won. That’s all that matters. I’m so pissed... But once again, I’m motivated...

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How long you think Decastro is out, that dude is never hurt? I heard it is a knee ... I wonder if it needs to be scoped?

I hope Stefan isn't out long, he is the lynch pin to the depth on our interior line.

Charlie Batch brought up an interesting option ... what about bringing back Ramon Foster?

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Cowboys seem to. They lost two starters.on Sunday. Just part of the game unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017

Ugh, I really hate this.

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Foster was 400 pounds and terrible when he was PLAYING...No Thanks!

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think they can manage IF there are no more injuries. If Banner is gone for the year then you have to move Feiler back to RT or put Chuks there and look at the waiver wire for your swing Tackle. Hawkins and Morris are not bad options, and Derain Gray is still on the PS.

Hard pass on Foster I don’t think he is in football shape and he had declined dramatically anyway. Read an interview with him recently where he said that he knew that he was done as last season went on. Body was not recovering well after games and he had lost a step etc and that was clear to see on the field. I’d prefer to give a young guy like Gray an opportunity if it comes to it.

Pity they lost Fred Johnson to Cinci during that injury crisis last year when they had to waive him. He would be a very nice depth piece right now.

11. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Dotson played okay toward the end of the game so he could be an option potentially. For now though looks like Chuks is gonna get his chance. Steelers got a huge break this week with Von Miller getting hurt. That definitely could have caused major issues especially with Chuks looking like he is gonna start this week.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I felt so bad for Banner last night!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If Banner is out for the year, my thoughts is move Fielier back to right tackle, move Steve to left guards but if he cant go Dotson to left guard. But Decastro needs to get back in at right guard. You may also need to get Hawkins back.

Just a side note, Fieller didn't look as good at left guard as he did at right tackle last year. he just looked a little out of place and lost at times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sure hope Ben becomes a quick release QB asap. Not sure how many hard hits his body can take.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I still say we should have moved Pouncey to guard years ago. I know crazy talk most say, but it is easier to replace a Center in today's NFL than it is a Guard.. Guards have more value IMO because they can be used more to pull and block in space than a center can.. Having 2 great pulling guards greatly helps the running game be balanced .Having great players at both Guard spots also helps the passing game as they can slide out to help protect the tackles and they can slide in and help protect the Center and the A gaps...

I would put Stefen or JC at Center and move Pouncey out to guard and move Fieller out to tackle..

Another huge plus is Pouncey could make the line calls and not have to worry about the snap or watching the QB for the foot snap count in the gun thus allowing him more time to see the late blitz and make the proper call..

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd be fine with Hawkins being brought back. I thought he was playing his best since he had got here when they traded him at that time. Gray is an option. :cool:

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Foster was terrible last season, it makes no sense to bring him back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    If the front office believes this team is a legit SB contender then they better make a trade for some o-line dept. Ben will be done very quickly if we can't protect him.

19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Chuks actually had a start two years ago against Denver and he actually really held his own against him quite well.

But Miller is no worry in this upcoming game.

20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Chuks is next man up at RT... if he struggles ...then you move Feiler back to RT and Dotson goes to G

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'm not worried about creating a starting 5 with the guys here. I'm worried about depth after that, esp if Wis is out long.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I was thinking of Morris today. So much negative talk when the Steelers 'let him get away" last year, then he gets cut lol. I have no problem bringing him back for even PS (I have not checked if he has signed with anyone else). Trying to trade for an OL (as some have suggested) is very dicey. It's is probably the hardest positions to just expect someone to plug and play. The line itself is a 5 man unit designed to work within a specific coherent way. You are not going to get much in a trade without giving up a lot, knowing the system is paramount. Hawkins and/or Morris could prove valuable and yet inexpensive assets.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He gets to tango against a ticked off Bradley Chubb. Chubb is not a "dime a dozen" pass rusher either.

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bring on Dotson, run Snell behind him.

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019