1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers D wowzers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Sep 14, 2020.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Gave up a 19 play drive, but allowed zero points. That has to be a first.

Barkley was dominated. One of the premier backs of the NFL, didn’t do much other than one big screen pass.

Johnson gave up, 3 points, defense bailed them out.

Very tick tack PI call on Haden, then threw a deep ball. They should of been punting.

10 points right there, and then a garbage time TD.

If our defense stays remotely healthy and plays like they did tonight, we are going to win some games this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Terrell Edmunds remains the weakest link. Assuming he can pick it up, even to be above average, we are talking about a possibly legendary unit. Otherwise, we can classify them as great.

Either way, a great defense is still a great defense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    They let the Giants convert too many 3rd downs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    They only let in 1 out of 3 in the red zone. They held them to less than 300 yards total and only gave up 29 yards rushing on 20 carries? I’ll take that any day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

True. Especially in the middle.

That said, Steven Nelson had his worst game as a Steeler. Hopefully he can put it behind him.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Who would not?!

• Like Like x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Daniel Jones can throw a good ball with time, the g men didn’t have much that makes you afraid at WR

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If this team can force Teams like ravens cowboys to throw we will be in good shape

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Have to give credit to this man for the G-Men:

Liked him coming out of the draft. Sure, he did not do as well against Dupree against the run. He did hold his own against him in the passing game. That guy is going to have a very bright future.

I had him as my number one Offensive Tackle in the 2020 Draft Class. I stand by that.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I thought so too, but Edmunds led the team in tackles tonight. That is at least something.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    They were targeting him a bit

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

That was New Yorks game plan. Challenge both Devin Bush and Terrell Edmunds in the middle. It faired pretty well; Edmunds being unable to keep up and Bush blowing an assignment for a Touchdown being the end result of it. Thankfully though, our Offense was just too strong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    If edmunds is the weak link I can live with that I guess. It’s up to butler to disguise him

14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Reading on giants subreddit how giants fans shouldn’t react because Steelers D are a top 1-3 defense and Steelers are a legit top 5-10 team lol

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Edmunds was around the ball quite a bit tonight. If he could just find that elusive step he is missing.

16. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    You know, I've often kind of wondered about this. I know someone has to make the tackles, but is it a good thing to lead the team? To me that means that your coverage wasn't good enough and the guy was able to make a play on you.
    I'd like to see a breakdown of tackles by run/pass.

17. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

You're going to see that a lot this year. You saw a lot of Edmunds around the ball but only seldom saw Fitzpatrick, why? The reason is they were playing zone and throwing at him exclusively. If you go back and watch you'll notice that if Edmunds was lined up on the right side that is where they were throwing and vice versa. Also, he isn't missing a step, he still can't diagnose plays and and get in proper position to disrupt or prevent the play from happening. He instead uses his athletic ability to react.

So what you see are completed passes with Edmunds either making the tackle or being near the play. If he plays like this the rest of the season they aren't going to pick up his 5th year option. Dupree was awesome but he was going against a rookie LT who never saw a pure speed rusher. Now if we see that in more games then it will really hurt to lose him but right now it looks like he finally turned a corner but I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Loved how they held the Giants to 3 at the GL after Dionte's drop early in the game. It was a great statement to start the game.

19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We shall see how the defense is against a better quality offense.

20. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Minkah, Edmunds and Nelson all had rough games and Pittsburgh only allowed 16 points with 6 of those coming in garbage time. This defense is elite, guys.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    yep, Edmunds never turns toward the ball in pass coverage, he may never get an NFL interception the way he plays. Did the same thing last year, teams will throw his way all year long. I watched him close last night and your right very slow in diagnosing plays, dosesn't get in good positions to make a play on the ball.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Edmunds still seemed to be out of position occasionally, bt....see below...

Tomlin said he put the secondary in harms way with the game plan to shut down Barkley at all costs......it worked but it allowed what "I" think was an inaccurate impression of the secondary. Think about it, we didn't hear Fitz's name at all last night.

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Exactly! At the same time though, I was somewhat impressed with Jones's QB play overall.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I remember one year the Steelers cut a LB who lead the team in tackles. The other teams ran straight at him for 6 yards a pop.

25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Sucks the raisins still have a better D and offense otherwise I’d feel really good about our team