1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fournette wish list

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Aug 31, 2020.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Given the action on the newly minted FA Leonard Fourtnette, what's the market for a guy like James Connor should he be reLeased? A sack of potatoes?

He's got a year to prove himself. But unless Connor has a big, injury free year, the Steeles would be insane to offer him a 2nd contract.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The list of probable free agent running backs next off season is crazy, Fournette, Cook, Kamara, Jones, Hunt, Mack and others will likely all be available. The market is saturated

Conner loves playing for the Steelers and could end up staying in Pittsburgh on a very team friendly deal if he has a good season, I’m thinking $8m over three years with a very low hit the first two years. He is not going to have much of a market elsewhere

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Strange you would think that some team would have claimed him, Isnt claiming a player thats been waived cheaper than sighning a FA?

4. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    No. The Jags are trying to use his previous suspension and discipline issues to get out of paying him the $4m for 2020 but they will end up paying it most likely. I had a good idea that he wouldn’t get claimed because any team in the league could have had him yesterday for a seventh round pick.

He can sign anywhere he wants now at any price he can negotiate, even league minimum, and take that along with the $4m from Jax. It’s the best outcome for Fournette under the circumstances. He will get a job as soon as injuries start piling up around the league, if not sooner

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep and if the offers are low he could take a one year prove it deal. Anyone know if beastmode is playing this season because Fournette fits Pete Carroll's offense and what they did with Lynch. Also wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota took a chance on him if Cook is going to hold them hostage

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Signed with the bucs

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Of course, things swing in Fournette's direction if you choose their entire careers or just last season. What you just shared was a Conner fan manipulating the data in a misleading way.

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Terrible move for Fournette.

He signs a contract where about half his pay is based on incentives and will backup Jones, and have to split the backup role with McCoy.

I don't see Brady allowing the Bucs to run 30+ times a game to keep all these RBs happy.

It is a shame because it sounded like McCoy was having a good camp,

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Fournette was not good last year.I've seen several articles on this, that he was one of the least efficient RBs in the NFL in 2019 (he had a lot of yards just because of the number of his touch), so if he wouldn't have been a fourth overall pick and that he would not have been great against our soft defense in 2017, the hype would be much less.

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well I missed this entire thread. Oh well he signed with the bucs. They should be interesting to see this year.

Wish list is all it was. I knew he wouldn't last long.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt Fournette signed there to be a BU. Reports are there were several teams interested in signing him, he was likely told he’d be starting in Tampa.

Jones will find himself in the same boat he was in last season. Maybe even less snaps than that.

12. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Very good article on why Fournette is not good as his stats especially as a receiver and he is not good in pass protection

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    He is the backup for now.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I can see that to start the season because there is no time for Fournette to practice but once he is up to speed, he’ll end up taking the starting spot.

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Probably right, until Fournette's ankle fails him again. It's been an issue for him since college.

16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That’s not a bad landing spot. With all their weapons in the passing game and Brady under center he should have room to operate, something he didn’t have in Jacksonville.

Whether it works remains to be seen but the Bucs get a player with high upside and something to prove for virtually nothing and Fournette gets a second chance. Good move for both parties.

I think he has a realistic shot of sharing the carries there, if not winning the job outright.

17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I didn't want him anyway as I don't think he adds anything really but after reading and seeing his pass protection I want him even less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We are talking about a bell cow back with a lot of wear and tear on a BA team with Tom Brady as the new QB while trying to trade their two top TE's. Do we really think who the starter is? I mean seriously its Bombs Away BA

19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    And the Bucs will probably be a pass happy team and as in the article from my post 37 in this thread, Fournette is not good in the passing game.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Fournette also faced a loaded box nearly 50% of the time last year while Tampa faced a loaded box 21% of the time.

This could be a really good move for them if Fournette has his head on right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s consistent with my observations of him as well. Really good runner, but not a truly complete back.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So far, I've only seen a blog about his impact in the passing game. By all means, post one that supports your claim about him as a runner. It's not like he was Le'Veon Bell averaging 3.2 yards per rush. Fournette ran for 4.3 yards per attempt. That isn't just volume.

23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah much the same issues as the Steelers running back room faced last season, teams bringing their safeties down in to the box because they didn’t fear the pass. Tampa should be a more favourable setup. The ball will probably be in the air quite a bit there but he will still get opportunities.

The biggest knock I have heard on him as a runner is that his yards after contact are very low for somebody his size. He should be steamrolling safeties and slot corners with a 20lb - 40lb weight advantage but he tends to go down very easily once tackled.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh Shady will ne just fine, Tom Brady does not like to get hit, Shady will be on the receiving end of atleast
    50 of these dump offs.

25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Washington just cut Adrian Peterson...Why not Peterson with the steelers in this case?

He was in a much worst situation that Fournette was in the last 2 years and he was better as runner...

I don't want Peterson,but not much difference between current Peterson and Fournette.