1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Name change for Steelers ...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Aug 9, 2020.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Henceforth they shall be known as the Pittsburgh KNEELERS! :clapping:

• Like Like x 1
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Take a break

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Dumb and look at me all in one post.

:facepalm:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The only team that should change their name in the Burgh is the Pirates and it should be changed to another city because they are an embarrassment.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    But if the Pirates suck for another 40 years, we can all be like Browns fans and brag about what great fans we are because we still love them..............but I doubt we would be dumb enough to actually believe they are good like Browns fans do.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Pretty soon your going to have to put patches on both the eyes of that tattoo avatar, if the Pirates keep this up.

They are a train wreck of awfulness, not sure if they are tanking to try to get a better pick or what.

But they don't even attempt to field their best line up. Terrible.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This will continue as long as Bob Nutting is the owner. We've had some people who think Art Rooney, Jr. isn't even trying to win. They should be looking at the Pirates to truly see how that is done. I'm amazed that they have made any decent trades since Nutting got control of the franchise. Everyone knows the Pirates will always overpay in talent as long as they can cut some payroll.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hopefully you will outlive their current ownership. The Chief was pretty bad at football before Dan came along.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    From what I'm led to believe, his daughters are waiting in the wing to continue the winning tradition. It cost $$$$$$ to win at MLB and I doubt any owner would spend.

Funny, how bad they are I would be devastated if they left the Burgh.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree about buying the world series. The best teams just buy out the competition.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How much of this is bad play by the team or just Shelton trying to get a feel for his club with no spring training? The major problem I see is that they have gone back to thd Bonds/Bonilla days or when Cutch was just starting out. Guys are swinging for the fences instead of putting the ball in play and advancing thd runner.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Every team had to adjust to the same situation. The Pirates are just lacking in talent. That's what happens when an organization constantly sells off top talent in moves driven by money.

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah but they have talent, I know what you are getting at. That the minute someone gets good they sell in order to maintain a low payroll that the league pays for. Yes everyone had the same challenges but the only reason i can see for Shelton to mix and match his lineup day after day is to find out what he has and to keep the fresh i suppose. By this point they should have guys that can pitch for an inning or two without blowing a 4 run lead. Anyway I think they need to stop playing homerun derby and start playing baseball.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a misconception, there are plenty of examples of small market teams winning the World Series.

Money buys you regular season wins, even a postseason birth but not the WS title.

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    You must be a Yankee fan Blast.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL I am! But they haven’t won **** in 11 years!

Houston, KC, Cardinals, Cubs, Marlins, Diamondbacks to name just some of them, they are hardly big market teams winning the World Series.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    They miss George. We all do.

20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Nationals, Royals, Marlins, D-Backs...........Granted, the big market teams have an edge but, if an owner wants to, he can buy a title.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, the sons don’t have it. Actually Hank just passed away too.

Reality is though, they didn’t become good again until George was suspended from baseball and Stick and Buck built the 90’s juggernaut. Then George started trying to buy championships and went all down hill after that except for 2009.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Then why don’t the Redsox and Yankees win every year?

The teams winning the WS proves this theory wrong.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    It's not like the owners aren't trying, they're just not very good at it yet.

Edit: or maybe anymore?

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Yankees did buy their last World Series in 2009. The Yankees entered the offseason. After a 13-year streak of making the playoffs was snapped in 2008, they entered the offseason with the highest payroll in MLB. They then signed by far the best free agent on the market, C.C. Sabathia. Every report had Sabathia wanting to go to the West Coast, but the Yankees won him over with an overwhelming financial offer. They then added the best position player in free agency that year, Mark Teixeira, and the second-best pitcher, A.J. Burnett. Teixeira led the 2009 team in OPS, home runs and RBI while providing outstanding defense at first base. Sabathia and Burnett were the top two starters in a rotation that had Andy Pettitte and not much else behind them.

Teams have to be in the playoffs to have the opportunity to win it all. The Yankees have missed the playoffs exactly four times in the last 25 years. They almost never lose a player they want to keep and they can always add help when necessary. The money doesn't guarantee championships, but it does give them a massive advantage over most of baseball.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There really isn't much talent on that roster. Bell is a good player off to a terrible start. You could probably say the same about Newman, but he's nothing special. Moran is a middling player who is cooling off after a big start. Polanco can play and Reynolds showed some ability last season, but that's about it. The lineup is week and they don't have a single reliable starting pitcher. I like Keller, but he's not there yet. Trevor Williams and his 4.37 career ERA is probably the most proven commodity they have in the rotation. They also have no closer.

It is a truly terrible roster. The Cole trade didn't get them nearly enough and the Archer trade was a complete disaster. Even if all they had given up was Meadows, it would have been a disaster, but they gave up Glasnow and an excellent minor league arm, Shane Baz. It was a deal driven by money. Archer had an affordable contract. He had been mediocre the previous season and wasn't much better the year they made the deal. Meanwhile Meadows was a top prospect who had already held his own at the major league level. It wasn't just a disaster, it was one that could have been easily avoided.