1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Players Opting out of 2020

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Was one of them Rypien?

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It was before Rypien. 1982 and '87. They only missed 1 game in '87 though (I think), 8 or 9 in '82 (I think). I might have that backwards, I'll check.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016

4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I think they still have a ring, the experience and bragging rights. It's a wherever the chips may fall scenario. We can all hacksaw away at different periods of sports in order to justify opinions/points etc... The new era starting awhile back is far more forgiving and less constructive criticism/critical thinking. So in short, many of us will continue to feel like we justifiably ***** about certain accomplishments and the others will do the same... However Many of them with less ammo/common sense/but hybrid emotion hahahahahahaha

5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Are the players allowed to return at a later date?

If in December/January the Pandemic status is basically over can the payers return to their team for the Playoffs?

I can see MLB players opting out of games in Miami right now! Yeah, you guys have fun on that road trip to Miami, I am going to stay home with my family this week.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Three of those games in 1987 were played with rosters full of replacement players while most of the regular players were on strike.

Washington put together a fantastic scab roster and won all three of the games with replacement players. The Redskins then pulled out two very close playoff games before obliterating the Broncos in the Super Bowl. I remember thinking they were insanely lucky leading up to that game, though it could be that I was living in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. at the time and I was thoroughly sick of the team, its fans and that damn fight song.

The 1995 Steelers reminded me of that team. Both had strong defenses. Neither could find a consistent running game. Both had very average quarterbacks who were elevated by offensive lines that were fantastic in pass protection and strong groups of receivers. Both also had Hall of Fame cornerbacks, though the Steelers got only a few plays out of Woodson that year due to the torn ACL.

Rypien's championship team was four years later, the 1991 season.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Matt Lacosse TE the 8th patriot player to opt out in 2020:

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That's a good question! I'm guessing that you will see a lot of people change their mind after early November.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    As is the case with voluntary opt-outs, if a player receives a new diagnosis of any of the 15 conditions covered by the “medically high risk” category after the deadline passes, he can seek to opt-out. Also, once a player opts out, he cannot change his mind and request reinstatement.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't know what the source of that is, and as rock solid as that source may be, there is nothing to say that the rules can't change......as they have 27 times since this all started.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Enough with the political BS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I just don't see how we're going to end up with an actual "season" this season. The NFL is panicking and trying to move the opt-out deadline up to stop the current trickle of lost players from turning into a mass exodus.

And even if there ends up being a championship to conclude this year's representation of competition, it won't be a Lombardi. There will be an asterisk. They will give out participation plaques instead of rings for the winners. And when they ask the mvp what he's going to do now, he's going to yell, "I'M GOING TO SELF QUARANTINE!"

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    tanking for next years draft?

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I remember the striking players picketing the practice facilities and stadiums with signs and chants. It was surreal.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I just meant it would be cold and more like football weather:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Me too. Then they got beat up in a bar fight and the replacements ended up singing "I will survive" in jail until their coach showed up. Surreal.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Yeah, that's how I read it. :rolleyes:

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    who knows, I was still playing with Stars Wars figures back then....I remember the 87 one better but was still too young to think about it. New players all across the league always step up to replace an injured starter so I guess it could be viewed in the same light.

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
  20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t see why there would be an asterisk next to the Lombardi. The number of players opting out is absolutely tiny in the grand scheme of things, you lose more to injury at OTA’s and minicamp most years. Unless there is a big run of opt outs coming up to the deadline I don’t see the huge issue. The Pats have been hit hard but apart from Hightower and Chung they didn’t lose any key starters, and the Pats were in a reboot year anyway and probably not realistic Superbowl contenders.

During the season it is up to each team to enforce the guidelines set out by the league, players, staff and their families need to restrict movements and do everything they can to ensure that they don’t contract the virus during the season. That’s not a huge ask for four months considering the money these guys earn. That, coupled with rigorous testing of players and staff could / should be enough to ensure that a credible season is played out.

If players and staff don’t buy in and they carry on as if there is no virus then yes, the season could descend in to farce. It doesn’t have to happen that way though.

21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    No other sport has as much player on player contact, we'll see what happens when they start practicing in pads and if they make it to the regular season the league cant install distancing to keep players separated on the field of play, i'm highly skeptical that there will be any kind of season this year.....

22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Guidelines are only being set now though. Like I said, if the league wants a season there needs to be full buy in, players need to live in a type of family bubble from here until the end of the season where they dramatically restrict movements, lower their social contacts, and thereby their risk of getting the virus. In all honesty they should be going to practice / games and then home. I realise it’s inconvenient and not much fun but it’s the only way it’ll work. Anybody that doesn’t want to do it should opt out for the season quite frankly.

I don’t think players have been doing that up to now, hence the cases being uncovered, but there is six weeks to go before the season. There is still time to get this right if the will is there.

As for the player on player contact, if the implement restrictions properly and test rigorously there shouldn’t be anybody on the field of play with the virus to pass on.

If the league, teams and players don’t want to do this properly they should just abandon the season now. JMO

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nobody puts an asterisk for Washington winning the Super Bowl after the strike shortened 1982 season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    How does that apply here?

The players are not sick, their families are not currently sick. How would this apply to the 15 conditions; What are the 15 conditions and is Covid one of them?

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I believe that was a reference to the other conditions that create a higher risk of contracting COVID-19 or suffering more severe symptoms. These are things such as obesity, a compromised immune system, respiratory issues such as asthma and hypertension.