1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephon Tuitt gets it

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Boomer, Jul 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Lol im prty sure you know what i meant

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tuitt went to Notre Dame, I don't think he's a dumb guy just because his post wasn't well written.

3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't think these athletes or musicians or screen stars should recite their political/social dogma on "company time". Many of them have the ways, means and connections to fund their own mediums in order to share their opinions. I'd prefer they keep it to themselves especially when one is paying to see them perform, but it appears that cow is well out of the barn. So, if I'm watching on TV, I keep the sound on mute right until the run up of the opening kick off. To me, anything being discussed that isn't pertinent to the game is just noise, whether I agree with it or not.

• Like Like x 1
  4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

really fell off after opening day. In general, both leagues aren't getting the audience one might expect from a nation that's been deprived of entertainment for months

[​IMG]

Ryan Glasspiegel
    @sportsrapport
    Replying to @sportsrapport
    To be fair since I compared MLB vs NBA return night 1, here is night 2 MLB (last Friday, ESPN) Mets-Braves (4p) - 922K Brewers-Cubs(7p) - 1.0M Angels-As (10p) - 797K NBA (last night ESPN) Celtics-Bucks

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelerrule6.

I never stated that Mr. Tuitt was "dumb". There are instances of those that have poor written expression skills but are great orators. Nonetheless, poor written expression skills usually go hand-in-hand with other academic deficiencies. It is a fact. I am telling you this as an Educator.

Now, writing is just one form of intelligence. There are geniuses that have poor written expression skills but will "Wow" you with their other "Intellectual Strengths". I have written on this Board many times about the Theory of Multiple Intelligences. Read up on it if you would like as I have provided a link below.

Theory of Multiple Intelligences

However, there are many horror stories of great athletes that are given "free passes" in the classroom due to their athletic abilities. Trust me, as a TEACHER and COACH for over 40 years, I have seen it first hand. The prestige of the Educational Institution sometimes has no bearing of academic achievement. As long as these athletes are "serving their purpose" to these schools, administration will sometimes turn a blind-eye to academic deficiencies as long as these athletes fill the stadiums and can generate wins and money.

I would bet most of us here on The Board have heard of such horror stories. However, I have witnessed them first-hand. Then when the athlete's has fulfilled his/her purpose to the Educational Institution, after four years (usually the time frame) they move into mainstream society where some (probably most) are not prepared for life after sports. Remember, only an elite few make it to the upper echelon level of competition which is professional sports. The rest have to come back down to Earth and are treated just like the rest of mainstream society; which I would bet again pertains to most of us here on The Board.

Here in mainstream society, those that did not make it to the professional level of sports get a rude awakening. They are no longer given preferential treatment by the mainstream powers to be. They are just part of "the crowd" now with no real life skills beyond sports. Unmarketable in some cases with very little to fall back on to become a productive member of society. Where I grew up I have seen, and continue too see on a daily basis, many "Playground Legends" that once were those elite few on campus where now their glory days remain. For some of them, that is all that they have left to hang onto now. Unfortunately, the remnants of their past athletic achievements serve them no purpose now.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Just dumb for posting it.

7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

I hope all is well my friend. You know that you are one of my "Go To" people on "The Board". Always a pleasure.

Your quote: "Just dumb for posting it".

Yes, yes, yes and yes. In defense of Mr. Tuitt, I would bet that he feels the frustration that some feel. That being the few that are taking his position by standing for the Anthem. It takes guts to go against what seems to be the grain in this case. At least from what I have seen from most professional athletes. Good for him to stand behind his convictions.

However, and again, although his tweet was technically posted off of the "work clock" it cannot be separated from his job. The reason being, as I posted, is because when he does decide to "demonstrate" his position it will be when he is "on the clock" which will be on the field of play right before kick-off. It seems the N.F.L. is okay with Standing or Kneeling or staying in the locker room until it is time to play or whatever else is acceptable. Mr. Tuitt really did not need to post even if it was okay by his employer.

The fact is, as I stated, the World will come to take notice of his position on this issue anyway; once the game becomes broadcasted and the cameras point to him. For me as a teacher, if I posted like he did, I am pretty sure I would be called out by my boss. As I stated, it just goes with the territory with certain occupations; whether one likes it or not.

In the end, maybe it helped him to vent. In the end, I am down with Mr. Tuitt because he is being honorable first and a Steeler second.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm sorry, but that is NOT what this country is about. This country is about your right to have your opinion, it's not about taking advantage of your good fortune to impose your wishes on others.

Imagine that, for whatever reason, you or I got the opportunity to be on national TV and we chose that opportunity to fight our cause.........DEAD WRONG!

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Let's hope he doesn't cave like Brees did.

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Tell your buddies. Shout it from your front lawn.
    Not a good idea to tell your employer what your going to do, doesn't end well. To publish it on the internet is inviting controversy & distraction. Media vultures will eat this up.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Hey STEELWINDS, you as well are often a breath of fresh air!

However, in the USA, that is 100% dependent on which side of a given difference of opinion you happen to post.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah well Tuitt isn't on the team to show off his writing skills, he's there to play football :shrug:.

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm pretty sure college football players go to college for football, not because they got a scholastic scholarship.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with your general premise but I don’t think it’s all encompassing. A five star recruit going to say Florida State might very well just be there for football. A kid going to say North Dakota State probably realizes the value of getting an education while on scholarship.

Some take basket weaving, some get engineering degrees.

But the NFL does appear to have more basket weavers than engineers.

On a side note I remember a football player years ago who took basket weaving at the University of New Mexico. Class was graded on a curve. The other 6 students were Navajos.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You can’t be a dummy and get into Norte Dame. I don’t think a scholarship gets you in either without a certain grade point average.

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Most of them are looking to keep their 15 minutes of fame going. They spout off about subjects that they have absolutely no clue about as they are living far more comfortably compared to the average citizen. The funny thing is that they oppose capitalism while thriving thru it. Their heads are so high in clouds they can't even admit that it is what propelled them to the top in the first place.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    NDSU is a farm college most of the nonskill players are farmers they take their ag courses and polish up on the production and consumption of barley and hops. The skill guys are typically recruited from bigger cities and get pretty good scholarships but lets not kid ourselves they are there for football not the animal husbandry curriculum. The Bison's impressive win streak has led to more NFL scouts taking notice, that and Wentz's early success.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Now not growing up in or around State College im not sure about the real story behind the story but it always impressed me that Joe Pa had academic standards for his players, high ones at that. Made sure that they understood football was a stepping stone but an education was the on ramp. Im sure that story has some exceptions to it, most college programs do. Town i grew up in let 3 hockey players plead not guilty to being minors in a bar, didn't even test them or firld soberity test. Just put them in the car, nighg in jail and let them off with community service.

19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This post reminded me of Rahtard Fumblehall and his BS political rants. What a douche.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Joe Pa’s graduation rate for football players was higher than Harvard’s.

21. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I disagree. I think if you believe in a cause then you take whatever opportunities that present themselves to advance your cause. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing that.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yes, you have the right. But you don't disrespect the golden opportunity by taking your cause to a privileged platform without making a fool of yourself by indicating that your cause is more important than the privilege you were given.

If you do that, you may never see that privilege again just like Kaepernick.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe he should have paid a little more attention to what his coaches were doing.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Freedom of speech is one of the most important foundations of this country. An employer can set requirements for employees while they are in their workplace, so the NFL can get away with telling players not to kneel during the anthem, but that isn't going to happen this year. Assuming we have a season, players are going to be taking a knee and they have every right to do it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    They can take a knee, but they have lost my support for their cause. I'm sure many millions of americans feel the same way. It's too bad because it was a cause worth getting behind without disrespecting millions of fellow americans that they coexist with. Great idea getting behind what needs to change, terrible execution on how to do it. Didn't Kaepernick teach them anything?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.