1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Steelers going to be able to re-sign TJ Watt?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 28, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I think this is JJ reacting to Joey Bosa becoming the highest paid defensive player with guaranteed money, Bosa at 102 million and a total of 135 million.

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I already posted in the general NFL topic... This signing **** in our backyard

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The only thing that might prevent it is if TJ says pay me what fair and lets play ball. I will hold out hope but those type of men are few and far between. Also side point I saw Joe Burrows deal today and I thought the whole point of a rookie salary cap was to avoid paying top picks million of dollars upfront before they ever play a single down ala Sam Bradford. 36 million seems a bit steep.

4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    No one is paying a OLB 30 million, come on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    TJ can probably be had for 25 million. The market is set by position and I think Khalil Mack is the highest paid right now.

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He deserves it but unfortunately by then he will be like his brother jj, great player in a team going nowhere lol

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers will find the money to pay him, BUT at the cost of other good players
    that would need paid also.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The Steelers are not letting him walk out the door, no way.

What I expect they will do is what the Chiefs did with Mahomes on a lesser scale. Big extension to his current deal with an initial signing bonus spread over many years and then most of the money backloaded beyond 2022/23 when the cap will have hopefully settled again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They can franchise tag him twice, if needed :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    That didn't work out well for either party. Cap what a team can pay a player per year just don't low ball it.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I know you are have far more knowledge on how the Steelers work contracts and cap but I would think (and hope) they rethink their M.O. for the new decade. The fifth year option, then franchise tag (if not signed) just seems antiquated in the current environment. I know they felt they had to tag Bud, but really do not think there was any realistic chance to sign him. I know they are in Cap hell (potentially), but being proactive on TJ, Minkah, and possibly Bell is the key to having a top tier D for the decade IMHO.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think the franchise tag is their MO, they only fall to that when they are having trouble working out a deal (Bell, Bud) otherwise they usually lock up the players they want to keep with a year remaining on their contracts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Did the Steelers offer Bud a deal, other than the tag?

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope Watt is signed long term. Steelers need another 2 or 3 more players like him. He is generational....like Polamalu and Harrison. SDOT will be pissed for me saying that.

What a waste the entire 2010-2019 decade was for the Steelers. That decade is more depressing to think about considering the potential....than the damn Coronavirus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Because Popcorn sucks Ass

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What Blast stated. I believe the Rooney's have learned their lesson from letting a superstar Defensive Player walk in his prime in Rod Woodson. I seriously doubt the Rooney's want to take that trip down memory lane again.

As for paying T.J. Watt, that will not be an issue. Clearly there will be a five year deal here. Again, I doubt Pittsburgh wants players on the books like they had in the mid 2000s contracts. The key will be the money up front. Somewhere between $75 million to $77 million will have to the base. Guaranteed will have to approach Joey Bosa's level for sure. Total contract value though is where there can be issues.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers don't guarantee that type of money to non-QBs, that's why I think it could be a problem re-signing Watt. That was part of the problem with LeVeon contract offer.

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Agree they have not given high guaranteed money, but as I sad above that way of thinking may have to change, especially with a generational talent. It really is the conundrum many teams will face. You sign the QB to monster money and risk cap hell..and how many if those QB's are really worth that? Can't convince me Dak is worth Russel Wilson money..and he seems to want even more. Then you have that one other guy who IS worth that money..for TJ you just have to find a way...for me even at the expense of letting Cam walk. I am not saying it will come down to that, but if the choice is to resign an aging lineman with a couple of years left, or go against their own protocol and have the chance to wrap up TJ long term, then you have to go the latter.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The Steelers had also not traded a First Round pick since 1967 either prior to Minkah. If Pittsburgh is capable of bucking that trend, there is no reason to assume they will not buck this one. Besides, as I said, the Rooney's have learned their lesson via Rod Woodson.

I doubt they will let T.J. walk.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Implying that Minkah and Devin cannot be like T.J.?!

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I just remember Colbert saying they were intent on signing Bud long term but failed to get anything done buy the deadline. I don’t recall any reports of a contract offer.

23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bush and Fitz could be those kind of epic defenders. Watt has the resume. Jury is still out. We'll see.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That we will have to.

Minkah I believe in..... provided Keith Butler does not limit or impair him in any way. I already have been on record with Devin Bush. To me, he is a perennial All Pro caliber player.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I remember reading where Colbert said they wanted to have Bud in Pittsburgh for the rest of his career. If there was an offer, I wonder what it was.