1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 18, 2020.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'd love to be the dude chucking those pads at him. On an unrelated note, I heard that SDOT put in an application to be the guy who throws stuff at James Harrison. And there's apparently a long line forming to throw things at Ryan Switzer.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d pay money to see the outcome of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why can I see Ben and the boys sitting about a bonfire at his lake house and him telling them stories like "he broke my nose and blood was everywhere and then I threw it 30 yards to Hines and I laughed at them."

they guys: "wow they broke your nose" "wow" "that's so wrong, then what did you do?"

Ben: "Then i threw it Tone at the goal line and he planted his feet and broke the plane. the rest is just glory."

• Like Like x 1
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

The Board seems to be pretty quiet lately as I look at the data of who is posting and when. I guess many folks, like myself, have other concerns to deal with that take precedent over football. However, it is nice to escape from all of it every now and then by entering "Steeler World".

Given that, I really hope Ben has/is made a full recovery and can lead us. IMO, this is the most complete team we have had since the 70s. The Defense is set for the most part. I am still concerned about the NT position. I still want that big-body, middle clogging True NT that fits the mold of Casey Hampton. The facts do not lie. With Hargrave we were a little better than the top half in stopping the run. We could do so much better with the right type of NT in there. Hargrave was a DE admirably playing the NT position.

Unlike when Casey was here, we can now stop the pass, finally! Could you imagine if we had a top five run-stopping Defense again as well. Well, we could with the right NT. So before anyone starts up with that type of NT is obsolete, I ask for everyone to reconsider. As a matter of fact, over the past few months several Post Gazette writers have expressed the same concerns and have even stated in regards to being on board with my wish list.

I am not saying that the Post Gazette writers are the know-alls, however, this is what they do for a living. I am telling you folks, you get that True NT in there and the opposing offenses will truly have no where to go with the ball.

Most people who are against it usually state their case because it cannot be justified to invest in this type of NT due to a lack of snaps that person would get. I say, baloney. You do not have to invest a lot of money into such a player to make it cost effective. We have Big Dan and he is completely useless. We need an upgrade there and it does not have to be expensive. This is also where situational football dictates which type of NT will be on the field for which down(s). Mix and Match concept. It really is that simple. We can carry both types on the roster. We already have the Hargrave type and are set there. We have several people to take his spot when the right down dictates it.

We could have had an inexpensive Casey type in the later rounds but did not address it. Too bad for us I tell you. Very disappointing. I have said this numerous times as well. This type of NT is really becoming more of a necessity because the league is reverting back to the run game more and more. I have stated this numerous times because there are fewer and fewer quality QBs left in the league to make it a dominant passing league anymore.

Again, the Manning Brothers are gone as well as Luck. Ben, Brady, Brees and Rivers are all near on their ways out. Who is left that is elite? I will tell you who, IMO. There are just two, Mahomes and Wilson. That is it. All others besides those that I mentioned are starting QBs by default. Typically, they would just be back-ups. The last real quality draft class for QBs was that of Ben's in 2004.

We need to prepare for the run I tell you. If we do, again our Defense will be as near complete as far back as I can remember. Now, it is up to Ben. If he can return and stay healthy, I have to say watch out now! We have all the weapons on the Offense that we need. We just need time for them to build chemistry with Ben.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Who is gonna be the biggest clown on HOF day? Prescott or Roethlisberger? Both teams will be rusty....I'm already facepalming

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My bet is on Dak.

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Starters play in the hall of fame game?

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not that I know of!!

I doubt either play honestly. If I had to take one to play worse, I give it to Dak.

• Like Like x 1
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey bigbenhotness

Ben needs to play in that game and more than one quarter IMO. As a matter of fact, IMO, he should be playing in every pre-season game except possibly the last one along with the starting O-Line. Maybe a quarter per game? I am so fed up with our historically notorious "slow starts". I attribute a lot of this because of sitting the starters way too much during pre-season.

Look, we cannot live in a bubble. Ben can get hurt stubbing his toe in the house. What does he typically play in the preseason? Two sets of downs for one game (usually Game #3). Disgusting as I say. Maybe if the team is so concerned about his health the O-Line especially will try even harder to protect him. One only knows, they need to redeem themselves after last season's miserable performances. Let Ben, and them as well, play one quarter per game for the entire pre-season with possibly excusing them all for the last game.

We only play sixteen games folks as we all know. How many times towards December are we reminiscing about blowing this game or that one early on. Sure, staying healthy is critical. However, with only sixteen games there is very little room for error. I hate when we are revisiting a week #1 or week #2 loss because of our notorious "slow starts". How many times do we have to see that movie play itself out? Then we are all doing the mathematical probabilities in December to see if we can even get a freaking Wild Card because of our trash play early on. Just Disgusting. It is even worse when we are not in control of our playoff destiny. I am very fed up with it. Why can't we ever start out 5-0. Why can't we go 16-0. Teams in all sports win 16 in a row all the time. I know football is a different animal than MLB, NBA and NHL. I say, so what. Stay focused and win out the regular season. Winning is so much more fun than losing and I bet that our beloved Steelers feel the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Gotta give Carlos a shot. He is the size of casey. He had stats similar to casey. Let's see him before we decide he's not the guy. :cool:

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Big Snacks don't grow on trees, Casey will be hard to duplicate.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe he turns out to be a Joel Steed instead. Still a pretty good fit. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnace.

Yes, Like you stated: "Instead of everyone butting heads over this, should just worked together and move past it as quickly as possible".
    However, there always has to be the one D-Bag that has to go against the grain for the intent and purpose of being a "Rebel without a cause". It is called " I am entitled syndrome". It is more like "selfishness" and D-Bagness. I am so p-oed with people like this. For crying out loud. The first identified cases of the Coronavirus were a little more than two months ago. It was nine people in Washington State. Now, look at where it is at in this Country. However, as soon as the "gates were opened" a week or two ago in various states for a Phase 1 re-opening, some people acted like it was 1999 all over again. No Social Distancing, no masks. A sense of invincibility and again entitlement.

It is not like most folks had to stay home altogether during that two month period. I have gone to parks, taken long walks, spent quality time with my fiancé and step daughter and her children. We have had barbecues in the backyard, they have had water balloon fights I have been training my step-grandson for basketball ever since his season ended nearly three months ago. My fiancé and I have been home-schooling him. There is plenty that can be done that does not come with a price tag or having to "be in the crowd". That will come again with due time. Some folks act as if has been two years and not two months. They just have to be those selfish social butterflies unfortunately.

Again, as you stated: "I wear a mask for other people, I don’t relish the idea of possibly killing someone". You get it. Some folks do not understand that one could have contracted the Virus, never showed symptoms and can STILL pass it on to someone else. Duh! Again, misinformed, uneducated and above all else selfish. In the end, I wish everyone well wherever you may stand on this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    At this point in his career, I'm not worried about his elbow...

I'm more worried about his stamina and recovery... We saw Brady the past 2 years start hot and then taper off as the season goes on...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    His receivers were garbage according to Marsha. I agree with you though.

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011

tenor (7).gif

Yikes its on folks. Revenge!

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011

Just to get us fired up. Ride with Ben good or bad it's what we do.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben was at charity food distribution today with his wife and Vance McDonald and his wife. If he was looking trim a month or so ago he is college skinny now.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    How did Ben lose all that weight that some members here put on him last fall?

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    No carbs.

• Like Like x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    His arms shrank too then again for a big guy he looks like he doesn’t work out lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Working out with Switzer won't add much muscels. :lolol:

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    They better get serious about finding Ben's replacement, who is still not on the roster. It sure as hell isn't Rudolph. I'll be a monkey's bare assed uncle if it is. I dont see how Ben even tries to come back if he gets injured again. We dont even know how the elbow is going to hold up in real game action.

24. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    From Big Ben to Bony Ben.