1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers rated best defensive line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jul 21, 2020.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Nor do I. Pro Football Focus uses some very unusual and weird metrics and analytics. Granted, that does not make feel unappreciated of the work they do. Just an unusual system; bias involved as well sadly.

That said, I still consider the "Gold Rush" 49ers to be the best of the best. Javon Kinlaw could have not arrived into a better position if he tried.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Why don’t you agree? Who is better?

Assuming they stay healthy they have the best D-Line on paper and there is a chance they will have the best front seven too if Devin Bust takes a step forward. They have led the league in sacks three years running. It is the major strength of the team in my opinion and I wouldn’t swap what they have for any other unit in the league.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep. Steelers have very strong positional players, but as a cohesive unit I dont think they can stand as the best right now

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Defensive line has some question marks. Front seven is different though. Pittsburgh to me does possess the best front seven in Football. As far as Defensive Line?! Different story.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Well the article says defensive line but I’m seeing backers in there too lol. Front 7 yeah Steelers are easily top 5.

7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Steelers will have the best front 7 IF

Tuitt stays healthy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Pound for pound, I believe Pittsburgh has the best Overall Defense in Football. In terms of positions though, there really is not a single area in which they flat out dominate in. Some might say Linebacking Corps but Tampa Bay and Minnesota have something to say about it. Lavonte David and Devin White are legit Hell Raisers while Shaq Barrett and JPP rain down pain on the edges. Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr are still, in my opinion, the best Off Ball Linebacking Duo in football. Heck, even Chicago deserves a mention here as RoQuan Smith has performed well relative to his draft status and Khalil Mack is a future HOF player.

I can also see an argument being made for the secondary but the likes of Baltimore, New Orleans, Los Angeles Chargers (Derwin James everyone), New England, Buffalo, Green Bay and even Minnesota despite their losses can still view for that top slot. Defensive line for me is still Sam Fran.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it’s between the Steelers and 49’ers (including 3-4 OLBs). Health is key. A lot of people are down on Tuitt because of the durability factor, but he’s a really good player when healthy. He and Heyward are both Top 10 D linemen in my view. Heyward Top 5. Watt is a Top 2 or 3 edge, and Dupree has proven to be good enough to take advantage of having those 3 studs occupying opponents’ attention.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    It's definitely an exciting time being a Steeler fan and seeing a legit defense for the first time in a while. I've said it numerous times already, but our defense is poised to make more noise this season as a more complete unit. Minkah, imho, is stirring this drink. We haven't had a field general in the secondary since Troy. TJ and Bud had the year they did because the secondary held up. This season, the secondary will have a full training camp and preseason (whatever that looks like) under their belt. I'm ready for Renegade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    The thing with the Steelers is those teams that have a better secondary than the Steelers I feel Steelers have a better front 7. Those teams that have a better front 7 I feel Steelers have a better secondary than them. Pittsburgh led in sacks and interceptions for a reason, along with being top 5 in every statistical category with virtually no offense.
    Run defense can be exploited though, surprisingly they were like 3rd in yards per attempt.

watch out for ravens they shored up the D line

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Steelers scheme is pretty awesome. Should be factored in with how good the players are. Only reason I like the 3-4 is the blitz packages.

• Like Like x 1
  13. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Soooo, yall are saying we will have the Steel Curtain again instead of Reynolds wrap?

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Steel Curtain esque. Keep in mind that such a high volume of turnovers is very difficult to sustain. I expect the defense to still have a high Turnover Margin but to the levels we saw in 2019.

15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    The only big question mark I see is Tuitts injury history. I think they are a solid unit and with Wormley, Highsmith and Alualu also on the roster they have reliable rotation / replacement players as well.

49ers have lost Buckner and may have that SB hangover, Kinlaw is an unknown factor at this point in his career. It’s probably very close between the Steelers and 49ers In terms of best defensive line but with Buckner gone I think you would have to give the nod to Pittsburgh right now. It may be a different story by week eight.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yes, you are correct about Tuitt. Tuitt's injury history is a concern. However, that is not the only one. Chris Wormley is good. Can he supplant Javon Hargrave's production is another story.

Regarding San Fran and Javon Kinlaw, I doubt there will be much of a drop off. South Carolina Head Coach Will Muschamp runs a system similar to what Robert Saleh employs in San Fran. There are some notable differences, such as Will's primary focus on more man coverage principles. Also the fact that his defense was more primarily a two gapping 3-4 scheme with some one gapping duties along the interior of the line. However, none of that is a factor.

Javon Kinlaw is about as ready a player for a scheme is Robert Saleh as any other Interior Defensive Lineman in that draft they could have selected. Derrick Brown was more suited to two gapping duties. Kinlaw's true power is absolute penetration.

Finally, there is still the whole aspect of the Super Bowl hang over. You are correct on that. COVID-19 is not helping either. That said, outside of Kinlaw, there are really no other new faces on the team. Nick Bosa will continue to get better; aiding Kinlaw as a result. Solomon Thomas and Arik Armstead are not slouches either. Both will assist Kinlaw as either or can work with him. Biggest return is Dee Ford. He will also provide a boost.

In short?! San Fran not only has the primary stable of horses to get to the Quarterback but also some incredible depth behind those four. Even if Kinlaw stutters out of the gate, Armstead and Thomas can pick up the slack without any drop off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Have they met can mccullers?:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They’re projecting Wormley as the guy who will see time in the middle in base defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Defense can be best in NFL but if Ben can't stay in most of the games it will be meaningless.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    No, and yes. Steel Curtain? No. We don't control the line of scrimmage like the Steel Curtain did. And yes, instead of Reynolds wrap, we'll have industrial flypaper. We're going to be hard to get around and through.

21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Even if we don’t get as many turnovers as last year we should be fine. Can’t let teams run on us though

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    “The” Steel Curtain once put out 11 players on the field who sometime in their career had made all pro. No defense, including this one, should be mentioned in the same breath.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Did I not see somewhere that it was actually Alualu that will fill that role?

Wormley stated in an interview a while back that he was not a NT and didn’t see himself getting many snaps there.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Colbert called him a DE when they got him. The roster calls him a DT. Hmm.?

I did read one article that suggested he could be a good middle guy when you wanted him to help pressure the QB as opposed to stuff the run.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they still had Hargrave, I would agree.