1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Really Bud? Really? I mean seriously?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jul 10, 2020.

1. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Yeah, we agree that bud and other players out in the right to maximize their earnings. The original quote of mine was for the guy complaining about owners making billions. They have the most money into it. It’s common sense. Move along

2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The Tag was the best alternative...1st round pick, 4 bad years, 1 good year...

Which one is he? You don't throw a huge contract at someone for 1 good year imo, You tag him and see if he can duplicate it... Problem is , If he has another good year he's most likely gone, overpriced...If he stinks again, obviously the right call...

Steelers did it the right way...You can't gamble all that cap money on one year...If he plays well again, With the team he has around him...We SHOULD be a VERY good team, A Super Bowl Contender!

If we lose him after a good year, It will hurt but...If the payoff is a Super Bowl... BYE! We just draft another one, Probably 1st round ..And just roll on!

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Can the Steelers file a grievance for the first four years? I don't think he has a clue about the "edge".

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sad, very sad.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You calling it common sense doesn't make it common sense.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't blame him I'd probably do the same if I was in his shoes. Not sure if he'll win in though.

He did do well in our system last year converting him to the blind side opposite Watt. I really don't see him becoming a dominant force for another team after leaving. So I guess it's best to collect now while he can.

This year really is a make it or break it year for him.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think they're going to look at the percentage he dropped in coverage which last year was under %10. It's been on a steady decline per year.

Will he win it? Who knows. You're familiar with grievance so I'm sure it'd include the NFL, a union agent, his agent and himself in talks.

I my previous experience in being in a union and filing a grievance the parties generally look to find a middle ground. Not sure if it works the same for the NFL

8. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He wasnt really dominant with us. Solid player but someone will pick him up

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I got off my lazy butt and looked it up.

It’s basic binding arbitration. First as you stated, both sides try to work it out. If they can not, it is presented to an arbitrator and his/her decision is final. The NFL and NFLPA each year establish a pool of 4 arbitrators. For each non injury grievance, one is randomly chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    They said the same thing last year ( A make or break year ) And they still don't know

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The Steelers have offered Bud his Franchise Tag as a LB, and Bud has accepted his Tag as a LB.

If the league rules he is a DE, does this mean the Steelers go back to the beginning; if they want to offer Bud a franchise tag as a DE?

Could this be an out for the Steelers who might be looking at this as a 2021 Tag, if there is no 2020 season? I would keep the 18mil instead of sign Dupree as a DE in 2021; Bud will be a year slower in 2021.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Wouldn't that be great!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Steelers could have done more than file a grievance, they could have cut Bud after any of his first 4 yrs, and saved whatever remained on his contract. They picked up his option last yr when they didn't have to. So they must have reckoned that he was 'worth it' or that they had no better option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I have rooted for Dupree since day one. I have also dumped on his performance. In the end I'm captivated with the way the Steelers run their ship...good people. Bud should find a way to stay, money isn't all that. :shrug:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    True. If he didn't perform well last year they'd be franchise tag this year.

I think they're doing the right thing by giving him incentive with 1 year deals.

I don't see Bud going onto another team to become some great force but I do think someone will pay him for that.

Bud will be another steelers olb to go to another team and virtually disappear imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Interestingly I was reading a blurb on Garrett's new deal, sidenote he wants to move on from the helmet swinging incident but yet keeps bringing it up, and the reporter asked about signing a long term deal with a franchise built on losing. His response was that the Browns were turning it around and he wanted to be part of it. A Pittsburgh beat writer then posted Cleveland's record during the 4 yrs Garrett has been there. I believe it was 13-34-1. I was talking at lunch about that and how Thomas could play his whole career in Cleveland and never experience a winning culture or how Joe Haden had to be on cloud 9 going from a losing culture to one where winning is the norm. Its something Bud should really look at. I mean money is great but going to a losing franchise wears on a person too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    If Garrett doesn't lose his head (or collect bounty money), I think the Stains probably would have weaseled into the playoffs last year. He can man the position.

Edit: the bounty thing smells of Cleveland's leadership sifting down the ranks. Starts with the owner.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  18. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    i don’t think the current owner has invested a dime. his grandad did, he just fell into it. but i guess the country has always worked that way.

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Time for a new golf cart Art.