1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Really Bud? Really? I mean seriously?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jul 10, 2020.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Crazy how (not saying every single person on this forum)everybody on here criticizes any player for asking for more money.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Only when they don't deserve it. :shrug:

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    IDK

I scanned the above. Most people are just questioning him thinking he is a DE.

Most of what you seemed to be opposed to in the past was people being opposed to that dumb ass Bell. And that was more a function of how he did it (dishonestly and unethically).

Plus, the low life eventually lost money. A lot of money. And all because of the racist POS agent he has.

But yes, some people are opposed to anyone making more money than they do. Me, I like capitalism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    maybe he thought he was a de the whole time he was playing dudpree

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Everybody gets on Dupree but he's not different than any other person in the world take every angle you can to get as much as you can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My reply above was in jest. I actually think Bud should win his appeal, not because he is worth an additional $2 million per year (or whatever the difference is), but because the 3-4 OLB position and 4-3 DE position are both EDGE positions. Look at any draft evaluations and you’ll mostly see the same players being evaluated for both spots. Traditional off-the-ball LBs are very different from EDGE defenders.

I don’t think Bud is worth the extra dollars, but the team made the decision to tag him and needs to live with the consequences.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I cannot blame him personally. Who knows what will happen even when the dust settles on the end of COVID 19?! Considering there are too many unknowns at the moment, making the most of his opportunity is definitely something he should consider.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My problem isn't that he wants more money it is the way they have to go about it ie each individual player filing a grievance. This is not Bud Dupree vs The Pittsburgh Steelers, it is Bud Dupree union member vs the National Football League. This should be a union rep issue to take to the owners and be bargained for the good of all players and not the individual who feels his job description is the same as another and thus deserves equal pay.

The Matt Fieler situation is more of a player vs ownership issue. As Ramon Foster has said RT money is approaching the level of LT money and they both blow the doors off the LG money. So if the Steelers ask Fieler to move to LG and he would prefer to stay at RT for the money then there is going to be a problem and likely a grievance.

Buds is more a problem with how the league designated them. Heck the could list as a FB and then we would really see some heads explode.

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm for any player getting their money.

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I could name 15 Steeler lbs that were/are better than Bud Dupree, nothing to see here folks...:rolleyes:

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I am too, it’s capitalism. I’m just opposed to people who are dishonest. Aren’t you?

And Bell didn’t get his money.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Roonatic.

I hope all is well.

This post is not directed at you. It is that you are one of my "go to" guys that I reply to (smile).

I maintain my stance that Bud is serviceable. He is not great nor is he horrible. He is what he is, average at best. I do not want to hear that he waited until a contractual year to “turn it up”. That does not fly with me. Why? Because anyone in their right mind would not play that type of game. Meaning, play mediocre for the first four years and then “turn it up” during the 5th year (last year). No, No. I do not buy that. Especially knowing that at any point along that four-year stretch his employer could let him go.

Given that, I am sure that Bud wanted to excel from Day #1 that he became a Steeler. Most people, in any job, want to do well once initially hired. It is not until they become “hardened” by the “System” that they have a mind-set to perform average and just collect a check. That usually takes YEARS at a job before one develops that attitude.

As a teacher, I have seen it time and time again. Most new teachers want to save the world. They are bent on improving. It is not until the latter part of their careers that they become “Hardened” and come to work to just collect a check.

Given that, one of three things probably happened to Bud that lead to a decent performance last year:

1. The proverbial light went on.

2. The coaches put him in better situations to excel.

3. The surrounding cast got much better which in turn was a Cause and Effect which lead to better play from him.
    I vote for #3. Bud still has a lot to prove. As I have always stated, as long as you wear the Black & Gold I am down with you. I am down with Bud. I am pulling for him. Big time! However, he needs to give an encore performance from last season and then some. Show me Bud. You are being paid handsomely as of right now. Show me last season was not a one and done.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Thank God this will only last a year. Looks like the tag bites the Steelers again...:facepalm:
    I don't agree with the tag option myself but Dupree did. Suck it up Dud.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    To be fair, it's a bit of all 3 (with #3 being the biggest reason IMO). Bud did things last year that I don't recall ever seeing him do in terms of beating left tackles around the edge without being pushed past the QB, and winning with counter moves inside. He played very good ball at times.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Seems T.J. Watt was not just a James Harrison fail safe after all. Bud Durpee was the other reason. Given what we have in Watt, I do wish Bud the best in his future endeavors.

However, his Steelers Story will wrap up after this season I am afraid. Too many other high level priorities. In addition, Alex Highsmith being groomed does not help matters either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Hey STEELWINDS

Bud is getting me all worked up again & I hope all is well on the east side.

Option #4

Dupree realized his azz would be in the XFL if he didn't start performing his job as a Steeler 3-4 outside linebacker.

I'll go with option #4 STEELWINDS.

I like Bud. He is a good linebacker. I hope to see him play this year. Too bad football rarely crosses his mind come Sundays.:emperor:

17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I have no problem for a player asking for more money, even holding out if his play has certainly outperformed the current contract. NFL players have relatively short careers and need to strike when it's hot. That said, the players also have a CBA they voted on and agreed to. They may not like the Tag, but it is part of the CBA. The Steelers tagged Bud and he signed agreeing to play for a set value of the combined top 5 contracts at his position. I am not sure he is top 10, but the team used the tag, so be it. His position has always been OLB, that's the tag he signed for, play it.

18. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    have you ever looked at how much the owners make? they are making billions on the backs of athletes.

19. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    That’s because they have invested billions. Them investing the money they did gives the players a platform to earn millions playing a game . .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel_Elvis.

I hope all is well.

Yes, I agree you can sprinkle a little bit of #1 and #2 in there as well. However, and again, I still think that #3 is the biggest factor. I am glad that you agree. I want Mr. Dupree to succeed. He must. Steelers' Management was not going to let him fail. For if they did, that would have been two lemons in a row. Jarvis Jones for four years and then Bud for another four. However, IMO he still has not fully "Arrived" yet. Yes, he is better than Jarvis. Although that is not saying much. And again, last season was okay maybe a bit better than okay. Nonetheless, he needs to give a repeat performance of that and then some to prove that he has truly "Arrived". Again, IMO.

Given all of this, he has put Management in a pickle by taken up to his final contractual year to show some promise. Now we had to play the "Tag" game. And you can see how that is working out by him now demanding more money. I am not going to get into that story, at least not now. However, by him taking so long he held all of the cards if the Front Office was intent on keeping him which they obviously were. They were not going to get egg on their faces twice; once with Jarvis and then again with Bud.

Again, IMO, he is satisfactory at best. At least for now. He has more steps to take in order to "Arrive". He does not have to be as good as TJ but he needs to be better than what he is now. He seems to be on the right track. Again, I think in big part this is because of the old, and the new, and improved, "Supporting Cast" on Defense.

Personally, I want to see the rookie (Highsmith) put some heat on Bud to make him earn that Tag Money. It would be great if TJ, Bud and Alex could all perform at a very high level. Internal competition is good for business. And if Mr. Dupree does leave us, and Mr. Highsmith is ready to go, then so be it. I do not want Mr. Dupree to get "comfortable" thinking there is no one behind him to supplant him.

21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

See, that is why you are one of my "Go To" guys. You call it the way you see it and timely comical to boot. That is right, he has a long and historic reputation to uphold. Again, IMO, last year was okay. Satisfactory at best. Work still needs to be done to show that he has "Arrived". IMO, by taking to Year #5 to show some promise is inexcusable. Nonetheless, Management was "Intent" on making this work. With the Jarvis Jones debacle fresh in their minds, and Bud seemingly following the same path, Management had to make this work.

Fortunately for Management it worked just enough to justify keeping him around. Although IMO that is up for debate. Is he better than Jarvis? Uhhhh, Yes. Maybe? Yeah, I guess so. Given that, and being a broken record, he still has a way to go to finally "Arrive" at that traditional and historical position of prestige.

• Like Like x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The owners invested the money because it was a profitable venture, due to the players talent. Very profitable.

23. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Yeah... and they are paid accordingly. I’m not taking sides here. The game is bigger than one player. It’s the franchise that sells, superstars come and go, Manning, moss, it doesn’t just stop when they leave. I hope bud makes as much as he can but people need to stop the pity party for guys making millions, the owners put the money up therefore they make the back more. Not hard to comprehend.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You're last statement is a little hard to comprehend:
    "the owners put the money up therefore they make the back more."
    I'm not taking sides here either, but the owners didn't become billionaires due to their propensity to overpay for goods and services. I hope Bud makes as much money as he can, I just hope he makes it somewhere other than Pittsburgh. If I was going to have a pity party, it would be for the fans, who are the ones that truly put up the billions of dollars that keep the NFL profitable. Very profitable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No because we've seen in too many instances where teams are dishonest.