1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFLPA pushes to scrap Pre Season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Jul 4, 2020.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope not, just play 2 preseason games, no preseason would make it tough for some rookies and UDFA to make the team.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Make them all count gets my vote.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    All that would mean is an accelerated rise of soft tissue injuries. Hamstring injuries alone would be at a rate the likes the NFL has never seen before. There really is no ways around it though if this is to be the case.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm a marginal 2nd or 3rd year player. I make up a large % of the NFLPA. I'm also most likely to lose my roster spot to some 7th round draft pick or undrafted FA. So what's a good way to protect my job? Eliminate the preseason opportunities for the competition. What's a good rationale? Those heartless evil owners want to expose me to instant Covid death with their preseason games! A very effective PR strategy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey CK13.

By no means do I have insider information nor do I have a crystal ball. However, I figured this was going to happen. There is just so much uncertainty with Covid-19. New revelations regarding the disease seem to surface each day. The country, IMO, “opened up” way too early. When States started to open with Phase 1 “the overzealous” by-passed all of the pre-cautionary measures that were too continue. But nooooooo! Some (more like many) acted and continue to mistaken Phase 1 for go back to the time when Covid-19 did not exist. Now, we have seen a resurgence in cases along the spectrum of those showing no signs (but infected) to death.

IMO, The NFL is just buying time with this. First, the canceling of two pre-season games. Now, possibly all pre-season. As I figured, they are taking a wait and see approach that may lead to a “No Season”. I believe, they are most likely watching how the NBA and MLB seasons are going to unfold, and in part, use that information to guide their ultimate decisions. I do not know what will happen inevitably with this season. Given that, and the week by week issues such as: this player sits out, that player sits out, a team has to potentially forfeit a game because they cannot field a team with too many players testing positive that week. For me, I will take a pass on the season under those possible circumstances. One that would be marked with all kinds of asterisks.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey AskQuestionsLater.

Most definitely. If the Covid-19 does not get these athletes, then the lack of conditioning and training will surely take its toll on some. It is imperative that they get back to some semblance of football shape before knocking heads for real. It would be sheer lunacy to not be conditioned to the maximum and proceed with the season. A little foresight goes along way. Caution > $.

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Somehow though if Ben, Juju and TJ manage to win the Lombardi this season, even in the most shaky of circumstances, #7 will be valued equally with the other six, sans *.

Note to the people out there: The worst case scenario ain't the only scenario. If you think otherwise, you're free to hide under your bed on your own, you don't need your governors or mayors directive.

• Like Like x 1
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey AFan.

Youir Quote: "#7 will be valued equally with the other six, sans *."

I agree to an extent. Reason being that all teams will start out and compete under the same set of circumstances. Hey, if the season was only five games long and every team played within that schedule then again, yes, it will still count the same. The part that I do not like is are the following scenarios:

Team A and B are scheduled to play this week. Both get the pre-game Covid-19 screenings (rapid testing, etc.). Team A has an overabundance of players testing positive. Now, they must forfeit. Not only do they have to forfeit that game but those players, and possibly others from that team, must go on a mandated 14-day quarantine. Now the playing field is not even in my eyes, thus the season for all the teams was not played under the same set of circumstances.

Take it a step further. Hypothetically again, what if Team B wins an inordinate amount of games via forfeit due to the above scenario. Again, this is not equitable across the board. Now, we are talking about the proverbial asterisk (*). There would be no way to control which team wins by forfeits and how many that possibly adds up to.

Let's go another step further from what we do know now. it seems that the "Southern States" may be more affected as this resurgence seems to be hitting the States of Florida, Texas and Arizona harder than those from up North. This is potentially setting up for a very unfair scenario for teams that reside in those states.

I just don't like the possible imbalances here. I think that these things have to be looked at realistically and seriously taken into account. I think as far as the N.F.L. is concerned, we have the benefit of seeing how the above mentioned may possibly play out from M.L.B. and N.B.A. as they "go on" before us.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The NFL says 2 games. The players say zero. The Steelers are still selling tickets to 4 preseason games. Nobody knows what is going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hey SW

I'm in the camp of make all the games count every year. Preseason stinks.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard that the NFL was thinking about letting teams have a practice squad of 20 players, they will need those extra players this season because players will get infected and have to miss games.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They'll also need special rules to keep from having to cut players to make room for practice squad players. Maybe a short-term "illness reserve" designation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Just expand rosters to 73 this season. Let the players beyond 53 have the same base salary and dress for every game.:cool:

15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Now that is a good idea.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The battle for money begins. Ironic that the Cheifs just gave Mahommes a record contract extension.

18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Too many hot spots for Covid right now. We would be lucky to get a 12 game season this year IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And not in 12 consecutive weeks

20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Don`t know if it would help, but maybe if the NFL knows they will have a shortened season, delays season start and decides on 12 games, maybe they should drop all the interconference games. That change should also shorten length of time traveling/potential exposure overall.

Just an extreme thought: This Covid thing is probably not going away for years and if not, yet another different nasty virus could happen again in the future. Maybe a geographical realignment of teams divisions should be looked at. It would open the opportunity to travel by ground vehicle to games during a future emergency to keep a season going if necessary.