1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward not sure if he plays in 2020 or not:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He will play, and he will like it. If he wants that contract extension, he will play this season.

• Like Like x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :applaud:

Cannot blame him. Risking your life, with a family that adores you no less, is not an easy proposition. Who knows how long it will take for a vaccine to be developed?!

COVID 19 is not something I would wish in even my worst of enemies. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Carlos de la Garza

Carlos de la Garza Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Before the season starts, he deserves that contract, he does everything for the team and he is the captain and also i have to say that the steelers usually re-sign veterans defensive lineman like they did with Brett Keisel and Casey Hampton. He is one of the crucial players in defense.

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Diamond.

There are just way, way too many question marks regarding the Covid-19. It seems that something new comes out just about everyday. The latest is that now numerous young people are getting it. Where as before this was suppose to be a relatively low-risk issue. There is just so much uncertainty. I just do not see how any sports are moving forward with having a season. How this is happening in good conscience is beyond me. The impatience and irresponsible behaviors of some (more like many) have led to this so-called "resurgence". What makes one think that the opening of any Sport Leagues is not going to present a whole new set of problems. Some that we can foresee but more concerning those that have not even been thought about yet.

The scientists and medical world are learning more and more every day. They do not have this thing under control. Not even close. Sports will be here next year if so be it. However, once a life is gone that is a different story. I am willing to sacrifice the season for the concept of living to see another day. As soon as Phase 1 kicked in, some (again more like many) folks interpreted that as a free for all to go back to the pre-virus day behaviors, as if the virus never even existed. This was brought on by the reckless and irresponsible behaviors of some. Now some towns and states are back-pedaling. Having to start all over again with various shut-down actions. Again, I personally have no problem with no football. I want to see all of my beloved Steelers here again, safe and healthy this time next year. I can find plenty of other things to do to occupy my time.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He won't play because there won't be football.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I hope your right about an NFL season, REALLY RIGHT, but I can't see how it's possible with the situation. Way I see if just a few players test positive, which is likely, they shut it all down.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Curious about reactions to this: if there are games, but the majority of the star players sit out the season, would you still watch and cheer on the Steelers rabidly? We may see a number of NFL players who are financially secure opt not to play this season, but young, hungry players who are normally camp fodder may enthusiastically take their places to show what they can do with the opportunity.

For me the answer is yes. I’d still watch every week, rabidly cheer for the Steelers, and then come out here and talk about Tomlin (not because I’d be the one to bring him up).

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Everyone has to make their own personal decisions on what they feel is best for themselves and their families.

problem with a guy like Heyward is that he’s pretty far along in his career and taking a year off could be hard to come back from.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm sure that Cam Heyward has enough money to be just fine. There is no money anyway to extend him at this point.

As far as disagreeing with the season being scrapped, if cases start effecting players due to training camp or even when the season starts and the virus gets out of control it will be close up shop and wait till 2021.

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Howz come they can play soccer in Europe, and baseball in Korea, but it waay too unsafe to even think about playing sports here? I guess Covid isn't as lethal in those places.

This a question of risk. Players like Cam probably gave 10-20% chance of dying at 55 because of accumulated football issues or having a brain full of mush due to concussions. But few seem worried about that.

It's Cam and every other players choice to play or not. And I respect their choices, it's there life after all, and they should do what's best for them. But a lot of them have been very comfortable taking riskier risks than the Flu x 3. Of course, they are free to change their mind.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    You are confusing 2 different issues.

Young people have a much lower mortality rate than older people. It wasn't a "non-issue", but a "lesser issue", since others were at far higher risk of dying (like nursing home residents).

Younger people are getting it now, not because of something unknown about the disease, but because too many of them are ignoring existing recommendations. (Crowding in bars, without masks, creates a riskier situation.)

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Im currently watching a stink bug just to have something to watch. Put me down as a yes.

:thumbs_up:

14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    My guess is when the leagues start the players will fall in line and play. Now they're negotiating. Your boss said he was ready to open up for work, and you went back. Few are gonna leave a few $ mil on the table. These guys think they're invincible anyway. They're impervious to Covd too. And shockingly, the CDC seems to agree

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    As long as you protest you become immune lol

it’s Cams choice to play I don’t hate him if he doesn’t

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Rosters and coaching teams in soccer are much much smaller so it’s easier to control, and the virus is not as rampant there because they locked things down more firmly and quite quickly. You have pockets of the virus here and there rather than widespread outbreaks now, unless they get hit again of course.

I can see the NFL starting the season, as Elvis said some financially secure veteran players may sit out and that’s fair enough if that is their decision. Younger or roster fringe players will have to play and will probably want to play.

Whether the NFL will be able to finish the season is another matter entirely. I can see games being cancelled due to outbreaks in the locker room or in host cities etc. It could turn in to a logistical nightmare very quickly unless the virus recedes.

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Typical over-paid Brat who has no clue how the other half lives...Drag my Ass down to the Hot Ass Mill everyday since this **** started, To support my Family and be able to live!

You don't wanna play... DON'T! Go spouting off like people are going to feel sorry for you lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Sad to say, but if I were him I would sit the year out. That goes for any player with respiratory issues.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If a few players test positive then they will probably do a 14 day quarantine, no need to shut it all down.

• Like Like x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey MeanJoeBlue.

My Quote:

"There are just way, way too many question marks regarding the Covid-19. It seems that something new comes out just about everyday. The latest is that now numerous young people are getting it. Where as before this was suppose to be a non-issue".

I probably should have provided more clarity to my understanding of those "Groups" of individuals who were at the "Greatest Risk" of contracting Covid-19. Since the beginning of the Covid-19 issue, I was fully aware that young people could catch it. However, they were not as at great a risk as those who were either considered "Elderly" and/or had "Pre-Existing " conditions. This was the message from medical professionals and scientists who are at the forefront of this issue.

Absolutely, no one is immune to it. My point, was, and again I probably should have been more clear about it, is that where once it seemed to be a "lesser issue" for young people, that is no longer the case. As far as catching it anyway. As far as dying from it, yes, again the "younger" folks probably remain at a lower risk of that outcome occurring if in fact they do contract it. They have age and stronger immune systems on their sides. If they do contract it the following would probably happen in order.
    • They would never have even known they had it.
    • The symptoms are fairly mild.
    • Leading to death but still is relatively uncommon.
    Nonetheless, the risk of death is still there no matter what the age group is. As one "young" Board member stated here, he would rather take the precautions as outlined by the medical professionals if not to protect himself but at least those he comes in contact with. Great outlook and I wish everyone would take that approach.

In fact, (I would have to see an update), but there was a "spin-off" inflammatory condition that is Covid-19 related that was/is leading to the death of younger children. This was "something new" (my quote) to my point that the medical professionals did not see coming.

IMO, those leading the charge on the medical forefront, gave a false sense of security in the beginning of this crisis that "young" people had little to fear from this. And yes, it may still hold true that their mortality rate is lower in comparison to those groups that are more susceptible. Nonetheless, to be a carrier and not show any symptoms is a major problem. At least when one shows symptoms the individual knows "something" is wrong and will seek treatment. If the person does not show any symptoms, and carries on business as usual, this is a major problem as he/she continues to interact with the World and can potentially spread it like wildfire.

Finally, yes the information is still the same as far as how to best prevent the spread of it and some (many?) younger people are still ignoring these precautionary measures which in turn is leading to this "spike" in cases. That comes with youth and a sense of invincibility. Some (most?) of us "elderly" probably had that mind-set at that age.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  22. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I've seen a similar article about the condition you mentioned.
    If I remember correctly, it is a rare condition.
    It is fair to say, now that virus has infected so many people, that even rare cases will show up in enough numbers that they can be statistically analyzed.

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The normal flu kills 40-80k each yr. the CDC estimates that it has a 0.1% lethality, meaning that 1 in 1000 of those that catch it die. This means 40 to 80 million Americans get the flu every year (15-25% of us)

The CDC estimates Covid-19 has a lethality of 0.26%. 120k have died, so by that number nearly 50 million of us have been infected.
    Again we need to expect that 20-25% of the population will be infected. This means 10-15 players in each NFL camp, 20-30 in each college camp, 6-10 Pirates. This is what we should expect, this is normal.

If we are going to report every positive test as if the testee got a combination of leprosy, bubonic plague and brain cancer, we are overstating the danger, pushing needless panic, especially for those who are young healthy and have no other compromising conditions, (like 100% of professional athletes)
    Feel free to sh*t all over this unpopular msg of optimism.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't like to think about people's loved one's dying as "normal". Especially if those deaths are preventable.

COVID19 isn't like the flu. It's worse. You wouldn't know it unless you were a healthcare worker. I am a nurse so I can speak from experience.

It's not simply about deaths. It's about the health care systems inability to cope and deal with a disease like COVID19. We were and are not prepared to deal with the overwhelming nature of a disease like COVID19. I've seen the worst of this disease and it's not pretty.

The US is failing to contain the spread of COVID19. The best way to deal with a disease like COVID19 is not to spread the disease. Why is this so hard for people in this country to understand?

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Lame.

I work in a busy Emergency Room and ICU with a 100,000 times the risk then this joker has of catching the coronavirus, yet I make it to work everyday making .000000000001% of what Cam makes.

Whatever sit out for the season I might just do the same as well

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1