1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

At Least We Won`t Have to Make a Logo Change

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm still looking for my safe space!

2. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I think that Redskins is pretty offensive. There used to be someone on KDKA who would call them something else when he gave scores. Also called the Braves the Atlanta Ted Turners. If african american players insisted on it, things would change.
    Does anyone remember when Uncle Ben was briefly a white riverboat captain?

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I went into a store on an Indian reservation, and they had a cigar store white guy out front. I didn’t take insult.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jball.

You could probably take any team, in any sport, and if one thought long and hard enough could come up with a reason as to why to make a change. Some have some validity and some are really over-reaching IMO. You gave two examples. Here are two more. How about the Bengals and the extinction issue with this beautiful creature. One could go either way with this one. Are Bengal Tigers being exploited for monetary gain OR could the logo be used to promote awareness for them?

How about the Raiders? What is a Raider? They may fall along the same lines as your example with the Vikings. Even though they are fictitious (I believe), looking at the logo it would seem to represent a stereotypical bad guy. Shame on you Oakland. Shame, shame, shame. Just kidding if anyone thought I was serious.

I am cool with the Raiders logo. Always have been. It added to the great 70's rivalry with them. Their logo, and ours, when combined was dynamic. The clash of cold hard steel and that of the ominous villain. People thinking too deep on some of this. It has some people walking on unnecessary eggshells right now IMO.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't want to wade too much into this, as there's a lot of nuance lost over the Atlantic.

But I think there's a fairly clear difference between certain names or images being possibly connected with "bad guys", and more specific links that are problematic.

The Vikings and Raiders are called that precisely because they are violent, pillaging figures. And why not? Makes sense for a football team.

The Redskins are called that because a) they started playing in the same field as the Boston Braves and b) it's an image of a violent, warrior-like people. BUT it's also a stereotypical and insulting term for a real group of people who have experienced real atrocities from the institutions that reside in Washington.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins#Name_and_logo_controversy

Clearly, the same can't be said about Vikings. Unless the US invaded Norway and took all their land, in which case it may become problematic. It's not about objecting to "bad guys", it's about objecting to the use of a pejorative name.

I think the over-reaching comes when people simply list possible connections between things, rather than look at the very real relationships between certain words and images and history.

JMO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Thigpen82.

Great job, well said.

Personally, I really try not to think too deep about these things. I try to take them within the context of how they are being instituted. Sticking with the N.F.L., for me it is an outlet. I try not to let political stances persuade or detour me from the enjoyment of the game. It is an outlet. A fun outlet. Given that, I am not going around oblivious either to what might possibly offend a person or a group of people. I get the Redskins issue. I respect them as warriors, in a good way. Strong, courageous, athletic and so on. Nothing but positive imagery.

However, I am not of Native American descent. So, how I look at things may be totally different than someone from that bloodline/ancestry. I would never soft-step or negate one's opinion. If someone feels something is offensive then by all means I am all ears. I do not know everything and never have claimed to have. I am open-minded so please explain to me your stance so I can become more informed, enlightened and educated. It would just make me a better person in the end which should be everyone's goal in life IMO, to always want to do/be better. Just as I would do regarding my nationality/ancenstry if I felt something was oppressive or offensive.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Could Little Caesars be next?

After all these were the biggest slave owners the world has ever seen.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Pretty sure with the largest Pizza Hut franchise owner filing chapter 11 that Little Ceasars is doing all it can to keep their head above water and not caring if ancient Rome was built on the backs of slave labors and bloody conquest. They are trying to sell pizza and waiting for the right time to repackage and unleash the BIGFOOT once again.

9. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    This is one of the advantages of being an old fart. I don't try to offend people but if I do unintentionally offend someone I don't care. Grow a pair!

Likewise if you want to call me a cracker or say "ok boomer" to me go right ahead. I'm not offended because I just don't care. Ive learned that life is a lot easier if I don't sweat the small stuff.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Read a piece on ABC news yesterday (and it was definitely a big ole piece) that said going to national parks was racist and non-inclusive. Um, ok guys, whatevs.....

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Except for some overly silly interpretations and even a little propaganda bs, it hasn’t been that bad.

Country is divided but we aren’t going to allow our beloved Steelers board become divided. Many of us here have been together for a long time here, lets not ruin it.

If people need to vent, get yourself a twitter account, you can rant and rave and get it all out on there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Right you are. Forgot where we were for a moment.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Turmoil is were we are at...Character building will save the day.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I always come here for character building :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    My political bias is showing everywhere and I hate it. I’m tired of all the BS both sides honestly

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    "That's the problem. Too much f**king perspective."

17. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    <Mod Edit>

That kind of comment is going to just cause someone to fire back.

Could have just said something funny like if it’s not, Jeff Foxworthy just lost his comedy routine.

18. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    There are plenty of characters here.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I just ready that Eskimo Pie is changing their name. Ok, who on here ever thought Eskimo was an offensive name.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Mmmmm... Not me but I don't apparently have the qualifications to make said judgement.

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Caucasian bothers me, too generic. Other is much better.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    No, but I remember when they burnt their bras!

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    :hehehe::hehehe::hehehe: He said Cauc!

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It's a trend. If a thread has the potential to be political, turn it into a different type of offensive.....The Pirates:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Only until a redneck or two start complaining.

Extremely well said! And while your post did not attack any particular group, it did project common sense. Common sense will soon be banned because there are those who don't have it, and they will consider the use of it to be offensive:cool: