1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Predictability on offense -Dale Lolley article

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jun 27, 2020.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was reading this article on DKsports the other day, the bulk of it is about the no win situation the Steelers will be in regarding the anthem kneeling but this other blurb jumped out at me.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/...l-anthem-update-analysis-lolley-thoughts-fdl/

How predictable was the Steelers offense last year due to the QB play and injuries at the skill positions? They passed the ball 75% of the time when Samuels was on the field and ran it 78% of the time Benny Snell was on the field. Thats a huge tell. Its also why I said they have to utilize Ebron in all facets of the green since he isn't known as a blocker because it will be tipping their hand if he just runs out there on passing downs.

Everything should be helped by Ben but the coaching staff again did themselves no favors.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I think part of that predictability is directly attributed to the rash of injuries. Revolving door at qb. Starting g wide receivers we snatched off of practice squads...

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Nice topic thorn058. I like when Snell is out there we say try to stop us. My issue would be with the formations they try it from...come on Tomlin :facepalm:

Ben wanting to go out as the greatest QB ever could be telling too.

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They were very predictable on offence in 2019, mainly due to a disastrous injury meltdown that left them with hopeless QB play and a host of inexperienced personnel right throughout the skill positions. There really wasn’t much scope to get clever and creative with the players available last season.

They have more depth at the skill positions going in to 2020 and hopefully Ben has a bounce back year. I think the addition of Matt Canada might give them an opportunity to introduce new things as well.

The offence needs to step up massively because even if everything goes right the defence cannot he expected to repeat 2019 where they led the league in some important key performance metrics like sacks and turnovers. Several defenders had career years all together last year. That’s not usually sustainable, albeit I still expect the defence to be very good overall.

5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Teams that generally lose their starting QB have a difficult time putting consistent offensive production out on the field. The team didn't just lose their starting QB. They loss their staring RB, best WR, had musical chairs at QB position, and were young at the other offensive skill positions. Experience matters more in the NFL probably more than any other sport. I am not sure what people expect?

The Steelers played to their strength in an attempt to win games. Play good defense and limit offensive mistakes. Unfortunately the offensive players didn't live up to their part of that philosophy.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree with the above statements and have said it in the past, way too young at many positions that were forced into the fire way too early and new addition got here late. The perfect storm scenario. It is very hard to get so many players and positions up to speed during the season. There just isn't the practice time during the week. I actually think we did better then we should have given the injuries. Now we have to adjust to the covid19 bug but I will say last year may have been a blessing for young guys to actually have game experience going into this year.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It's hard to build a solid scheme when you're ravaged by injury. Whether it's Ben, Mason or someone else, it'll help if there's consistency at the QB spot. It'd also help if JC can stay healthy.

8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    We have been vanilla on offense for some time now. Injuries, youth, and sloppy play just exacerbated our lack of creativity. Hopefully, Canada is up to the task and Tomlin takes the reigns off.

And in regards to @SteelersFanIrl I really think our defense is poised to be even better this season. We don't have to have career years by individuals to be better. We need to be a better "team" defense, more cohesive, better prepared. I think we're sitting in a good position to do that. We'll be even more difficult to attack with Minkah more comfortable with the system and the return of Tuitt.

• Like Like x 2
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Bad offensive skill postion group and even worse had to bad nfl starting caliber qbs.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If they are to improve further they’d almost certainly have the best defence in football. I hope you are right.

Offence needs to help them by giving them leads to work with and giving them a breather from time to time. How infuriating was it last season to watch the D make big plays only to be back on the field within minutes after a three and out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    ?

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree on the vanilla offense Glory Days. A bit too much pass happy with Ben looking for his comfort zone. Would be thrilled if Fitchner & Ben let Canada be a part of the play calling.
    The defense should be one of the best again. Not quite sold on their ability to contain the run but Tuitt should make a big difference. T. Edmunds shores up his coverage responsibilities & I think we have the best secondary in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    They were predictable for a long time running now with Ben being healthy. The staff has refused to divvy things up mostly more often than not. We've been discussing it for years. Hopefully Canada has some ideas that will actually land in the script. Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1