1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Hargrove DUI

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Nah. We need to let Bill Hilgrove have a mulligan on this one. DUI isn't the worst thing in the world. No one was hurt. He will pay his debt to the law and hopefully that's the end of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It's not the worst thing in the world unless it's your family that is killed or crippled by a drunk driver. About a million people a year disagree with you. That is the stupidest statement I have ever heard watt. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Myron had a DUI

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I hear you. But in this case no one was crippled or killed. The article said Bill Hilgrove had a couple of beers. If that's true something like this could have happened to almost anybody. I guess we will have to wait and see if more information comes out today. Most of the reason I'm giving Hilgrove the benefit of the doubt is because I love the guy. It's still hard to listen to the games without Myron Cope. I'm not ready for Hilgrove to be replaced.

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm with mac on this. There are way too many options nowadays and absolutely no reason to drive being over the limit. DUI is not like pocketing a pack of gum at the store. Way too many lives are ruined by this type of selfish bad decision making.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    And he will have the law to answer to for his crime. Can we, as a society, not take away Bill Hilgrove's livelihood over this?

This is one mistake made by an old man who has otherwise been a stellar, pillar of the community. I'm sure he's feeling pretty stupid this morning.

8. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I didn't say take away his livelihood. But I also don't think he should walk away unscathed for this though. Actions have consequences.

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree. It seems like anymore something like this happens and the pitchforks and torches come out. If enough people call for his head he will be fired. I hope that's not the case. But there definately should be some repercussions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I find it somewhat funny or curious that the 3 articles I read on this all talked about him driving through the plate glass window in front of the store but acted like what are going to do or this happens more than you think. Seems like they are pretty calm about it.

11. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Well, I hope that doesn't happen as well. He should be thankful that it didn't end up way worse than it did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    At his age he should know better than to drink and drive, I gave up drinking several years ago knowing full well at my age with bad reflexes even drinking at home I couldnt be in control of my faculties, he needs to learn that it doesnt work out well for people in our age group especially dont drink and drive at any age....

13. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Would u love him if he hit and killed your wife who was just going for a late night walk?

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Alright, I'm taking a beating on this one. Perhaps rightfully so.

Fact of the matter is no one was injured. We can "coulda" this thing to death if we want to. Really can't punish a guy for bad things that could have happened but didn't.

To answer your question, had Hilgrove injured or killed someone, be it my family or not, it would absolutely change how I feel about him. That just isn't the case though.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That's a tough one. I rarely drink at all, will have an occasional beer with the neighbor and can walk across the street. Even with that if I get the munchies I order door dash, lol. I was supervising at a non-profit program and where BAC testing was mandatory. A guy blew a .015 and was put on probation, though he swore he did not have any alcohol. We did a couple of mock tests and the director blew hot, and we found out the guys doing the tests were getting hand sanitizer on the tubes. Still don't know if that's feasible or the machine was just out of calibration, but still showed that machines are not perfect.

As for Bill and his situation it really will depend on how his employment status is, if he is directly employed by the Steelers he would fall under the NFL policy. If his employment is just through the media company, then they (I am sure with Steelers input) would have the final say on any consequences, up to firing. While I personally do not feel this justifies firing, the Organization with it's recent negative in the national media may have other thoughts. Personally I feel Bill has slipped a bit in years, not the way he wants to go out, but maybe time to just apologize and retire into the sunset.

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He drove thru a storefront window. Got out of his car, picked up his prescription, got back into his car and drove home. Sounds like a guy in full control of faculties.

Sorry, he deserves no pass on this if this is true.

Billy's play by play has slipped lately, he's pushing 80, I would think this prompt the Steelers to show him the door.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Thanks for answering I respect that answer.. I just have a low tolerance for dui's.. I've had my license suspended before for a non dui and it just pisses me off that ppl get off lightly for it

• Like Like x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    We could drive sober and pay for our gum. Just sayin'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A DUI with a hit and run, and publicity. That is not getting a mulligan. It could get jail time.

Because of age and COVID-19, any jail time would either be house arrest or suspended.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No it did not.

Hillgrove told police that he had a couple of beers.

Big difference.

He was actually twice the legal limit.

https://triblive.com/sports/steeler...ll-hillgrove-charged-with-dui-in-murrysville/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not trying to be rude here, but at this point you should just delete this post and hope we are all dumb or old enough to forget., which we are.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I put it out there. Ill stand by it. That part about not being the biggest deal in the world was admittedly a stupid choice of words.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How many here have never violated a traffic law, went 10+ miles over the speed limit, rolled through a stop sign, gone too fast in a school zone, etc? I am sure no one has ever had any drinks and drove, right? Ever? I am figuring most have done something whether cited or not. If Bill drove drunk I would expect he gets what the law would give a regular citizen and he never does it again. If he still announces, I'll listen. If he's fired, so be it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I'd call this a logical fallacy. Are you seriously trying to defend illegal and dangerous behavior because someone else may have been speeding or run a stop sign? That is some diversionary nonsense right there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    First, I want to say major props to you for how you're handling a lot of negative responses to your comments. I can see why you said it even though I don't agree. I have driven under the influence a few times in my life. I was blessed every time and always made it safely, and without incident, to where I was going. I have also lost friends to drunk driving, reckless driving, and simply being victims of circumstance. It's dangerous just being out there and driving under the influence just amplifies that. It's stupid and Billy knows better. And his position in society makes his decision even worse. With all that said, he simply needs to be judged fairly and accurately. The chips will fall where they fall.

• Like Like x 1