1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions abound for Steelers WR

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 22, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dude seriously it seems like all these guys at the TRib have been lining up to take a dump on all the local teams. I mean I get it the news is slow, jobs are in jeopardy you need clicks but they have been bloviating like never before lately. I feel bad for not feeling bad about the Pens and Steelers, I stopped feeling bad about the Bucs in like 98 or so everything after the early 90's was just hoping the finished over .500.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Not concerned regarding the negative Nancy talk Blast. Not because the points are valid but to expect this group to not improve as much is silly. Nevermind Big Ben either.

Having a "Thermonuclear Option" is far more important in today's NFL than ever before. Pittsburgh finally has one after losing Martavis. Unlike Martavis though, this one is a FREAK.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I can not believe Switzer is the one giving updates on Ben.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He probably thinks being Ben's close friend will keep him on the team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The WR group is the least of my worries for the Steelers, JuJu will have a bounce back season, Washington and Johnson showed up last season even with bad QB play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Everything is reliant on bens health.

tuitt needs to stay healthy and can’t lose watt or mink.

all that stays in tact and we can be a contender

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think our receiving + tight end core is very very... Ben friendly

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Huh?

10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'd rather it be him then some pencilneck reporter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe he's talking about when Kaboly wrote about Ben's throwing session Switzer was quoted in the article.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I have no concerns over the WR room. The questions should abound regarding who is throwing them the ball. And I don't have qualms about that either. I believe BigBen comes back with a force.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Blast Furnace.

This is how I see it. I am not that concerned about the WR crew from a talent standpoint. However, they must also stay healthy. Last year, for the most part, they were not able to get on the field together due to “minor” injuries. Now, I am concerned from Ben’s standpoint. Ben had a major injury, season ending. With his setback, it also set back the young receivers as they had minimal opportunities to work with and build chemistry with Ben.

JuJu knows Ben. Washington has one year with him and Johnson and Claypool zero time. That is a concern. Now, with no Spring workouts that is also a chemistry building concern. The crew of JuJu, Washington, Johnson and even Claypool (I do realize that he has not taken a snap yet) are all very, very good as I have stated numerous times.

They each have a unique skill-set. Now add in McDonald and Ebron and I say, Watch Out! Also, throw in Samuels coming from out of the backfield as he is probably our best pass-catching RB and he is also very, very good. I also like Whyte, with his speed coming out of the backfield. Dump it off to him, give him a seam and I see flashbacks of “Fast” Willie Parker. I would also like to see what Whyte can do with kick-off and punt returns if the opportunities present themselves. I do not know if he has trustworthy hands for those assignments. No, my biggest concern is Ben and how he holds up and him building chemistry with all of our “Pass Catchers”.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    With Ben back I think JuJu, James, and Diontae are all going to have huge break out years.

I’m really excited for what is possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the 4 Wr set with Claypool and Washington outside and Juju and DJ inside and possibly moving them around is going to make Ben feel like a kid in a candy store. It will definitely open up things for draws and HB passes for Conner as well. If this season happens that is.

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Ben will use Ebron more than Claypool this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben will or should have unlimited options to throw the ball to, from top to bottom of the receiving corps.. They should have fresh legs on the field for every play at wr, te and rb. They are the deepest they have ever been on offensive weapons. There is no reason they shouldn't exploit this fact. Is our coaching staff smart enough to do this? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes, while there are no superstars the depth on offence is very good and they could be very creative with it.

PFF and several other sites have Diontae Johnson down as a major breakout candidate for 2020, they absolutely love him. It’s amazing that he played 2019 with a sports hernia and did as well as he did.

19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I love the optimism in this thread. I'm on the other end. I don't think Ben will bounce back and I really don't think he will be under center for the whole season. That body has taken a beating over the years. IMO the offence all depends on the offensive line. They need to be top notch or Ben won't last 2 games.

So much to look forward to in the AFC North. I feel it's going to be the most exciting to follow in the NFL. Take away the Bengals because they have to develop a great draft and any of the other 3 teams have a shot. I don't think the Ravens will be as strong and I do believe the Browns will be better.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLAY FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The winter will be a nightmare without it.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Is Ben smart enough to do this? He likes going to the guy he is connecting with imo.

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think we have to hope the defence can maintain a high level of play and keep it under say 20 points per game average. The defence is the strength of the team now and that’s fine as long as the offence at least improves and helps them out. Last season the D was making huge plays only to be back on the field straight away after a three and out. I think the play that encapsulates 2019 was Steven Nelsons interception against the Bills where he returned the ball over 30 yards to the Bills 20 giving the Steelers a huge opportunity. The offence fumbled the ball and infuriatingly handed it right back to the Bills, just one example of the offence killing the defence. It used to be the other way around in recent years.

Ben doesn’t need to be an All Pro, his ability to read coverages and recognise where blitzes are coming from alone will make the offence better. Mason and Duck really struggled with this, defences were blitzing them constantly and exposing their inexperience. Ben needs to be efficient and take care of the football, give the defence a breather and try to capitalise on redzone opportunities. They have some good weapons on offence if everyone stays healthy. 21-24 points will win a lot of games if the defence holds.

Lots of ifs and maybes but there is hope at least.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The receivers should not be in question just by themselves. Big Ben needs to be as well. Who knows what his abilities are post surgery?!

Too many assumptions and not enough evidence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Frankly, Ben’s performance will go as far as his elbow does. If it is capable of all the stresses of throwing the ball, then he’ll be fine. My expectation is that the year off probably helped the rest of his body heal. Should he do his part to prepare his body, then he’ll be just fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll take what Switzer said about Ben throwing to him and go from there.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Someone posted a picture of him golfing. Svelte Ben...lol