1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh's Best-Ever 92: James Harrison

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Is anybody else following the Tribune-Review's countdown of the best Pittsburgh athlete to ever wear each number from 99 down to zero? Of course, much of it is going to be related to the Steelers. They got to No. 88 today, which is obviously Lynn Swann. Other Steelers so far are Casey Hampton (98), Greg Lloyd (95), Lawrence Timmons (94), Aaron Smith (91) and T.J. Watt (90).

Smith over Kevin Greene was interesting, but Smith was a Steeler a lot longer. Timmons was an example of a number without a lot of great candidates. The best he beat out was Chat Brown, who had a relatively short time with the team. The worst was Ziggy Hood making the list, which just tells you how weak the options were at 96.

The other Steeler I skipped over was Harrison at 92. I thought that might stir up a few haters here, but let's not forget what a fantastic player he was during most of his time in Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 2
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    SDOT will not be happy. :eek:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ziggy Hood :lolol:

SDOT has his opinions and I understand some of his sediments on Harrison, but Harrison while here was a force to be reckoned with. On every snap. And had to be game planned for. And was feared. Mishandled at the end but had to bale out the position when the one year wonder struggled. Without Harrison their is no # 6. Period.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That is pretty cool. When I see certain numbers on the backs of other teams Steeler greats always pop into my mind.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    CK, agreed. Harrison was a fantastic player and there is no way that team wins Super Bowl XLIII without him.

Hood is just a great example of the problem with a list like this. There just aren't any good candidates for some numbers. There are others that are really difficult. This includes Pitt athletics, so they had Hugh Green for 99, Aaron Donald for 97 and Mike Ditka for 89. I get the choice of Donald, but it does kind of suck to see Hood on the list but Cameron Heyward doesn't make it.

steel machine, it really was a creative way to generate content, which is certainly an issue for any sports department right now. I have found it engaging. I even took a stab at making a list of my own, but there were some numbers I really had trouble filling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey HeinzMustard.

If SDOT is a true Steeler fan I would like to know what he was doing at that moment in Super Bowl XLIII when Harrison made that historical play. SDOT was probably doing cartwheels when that play unfolded would be my bet.We probably do not win that game without that contribution as well as other big plays from other team members. SDOT can whine all he/she wants. You cannot have it both ways. Do I understand some of SDOT's frustrations? Sure. I would have a much bigger bone to pick with that A-hole lagarette blount (no caps for his name because no respect for him.). That is who SDOT should be focusing his/her anger at.

As I have stated, Tomlin promised James "Work". Tomlin reneged. Tomlin is the one SDOT should have a beef with not Mr. Harrison. Harrison took the time to keep his body in shape, went to practices, attended meetings and did everything that Management asked of him. After awhile James saw the BS all over the wall. I do not blame him one bit. Did I like that he went to the cheats? No. I guess the one silver-lining is that he did not win a ring with them like that scumbag blount. He straight up walked off the field in one of games before the game was over like a little child having a temper tantrum. As you may remember that got him his walking papers. Cry baby.

What made it worse was that blount did win a ring. Yet, you never heard anything in any of the sports shows about the concepts of team commitment and loyalty only what a great move it was on blount's part. Again, that in big part is why I stay away from today's sports shows all over cable and the Internet. I have coached for over forty years. What blount did was childish. What James did was what any man would do. He just wanted to work. He already won a ring. He was DPOY. He just wanted to work. In the end, Steeler Management let down JH. That is who SDOT should be p-oed with.

I watched that phenomenal play again the other day in Super Bowl XLIII from James. Just unbelievable. SDOT should go down memory lane and re-watch that and re-evaluate his/her attitude about James. Not just that play as well. He always brought it 110% and always left it all out there in every game for us. Personally, I love how he consistently served it up to rats, very satisfying. Once again, all the man wanted to do was work. I will never fault anyone for that.

Personally, and fortunately, I never had it, to have to "let it go". I say "let it go" SDOT and anyone else that may feel that way about James. Thank you Mr. Harrison for all that you did for us over your career here in Pittsburgh.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Harrison while with the Steelers was one of my all time favorites. A lot of BS went into his departure but he still remains as one of the best ever at his position while being in Black N Gold.

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    that isn’t exactly new

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

It's impossible to feel any emotions after one's head explodes.:@:mad:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I once tried doing this for NFL numbers - less “greatest” and more numbers I always associate with a player. So 1 for me was Warren Moon, rather than Gary Anderson (who I imagine would be the Pittsburgh choice). Though there were far more Steelers on the list than other teams, naturally.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    When I saw Ziggy at 96, I thought no one should ever want that number. It’s cursed.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not sure why people are so down on Ziggy. He was pretty good for a 7th round pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not down on Ziggy but rather the number. If the best to play was a pretty good 7th, then there really hasn’t been much else.

I was just picking on the number. Most numbers don’t care if you pick on them. Well, except for Pi which just goes on and on about itself.

I’ll give myself a face palm. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He spent 10 years in the league, which is better than probably 90% of all the players to ever make it to the NFL.

15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Nothing against Ziggy, but I might have given the nod to Brenston Buckner. Don't really have a good reason why... He's just who I associate with the number 96.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I completely agree. I hated how he went out, but he was one of the best without question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'd probably do the same, I forgot BB wore 96. My point was 10 years in the league is nothing to sneeze at (unrelated to the jersey # topic).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    For sure.... I think Buckner had a 10 year + career as well. Less years with the Steelers than Ziggy, however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    No love for Jason Gildon's #92. Not as good as Harrison but still pretty damn good on his own right.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And yet, not a peep has been heard.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Did the Stelers ever have a "0". Or "00"?

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    00 - Johnny Clement 46-48

0 - Jack Collins 52

70 - Only 2 players

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Thanks, that's a bit before my time. Maybe they could bring back Artie Burns or Jarvis Jones and give them 0?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I feel your pain but there were a lot worse than those two.

Just at the DB position there was a guy Chuck Noll openly called toast because he got burned so often.

And minus Joe Who, the entire 1969 team.

• Informative Informative x 1