1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Real JuJu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 1, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ah... I see.

So he is essentially a "shock jock" radio personality then?! Makes sense given his unusual Twitter habits that I have seen. Not many mind you but enough to get an idea.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Shock jock is a good way to explain Madden. He has limited knowledge and no real credibility, but he is happy to keep saying and writing outrageous crap. That gets attention, so he keeps getting work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Conner is ready for this season

4. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I actually think JuJu has a great 2021 season. He SHOULD have Ben back (pleaseeee), is young, looks to be healthy and will have pieces around him with more experience. It's hard as hell to be thrown into the No. 1 role.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    What about this year?

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He already has the funny shape your hair gets from the helmet.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I will take this the way I have all the articles of similar ilk that have been written the last 6 months, people writing something just to write something. As Labs said recently in asked and answered these peices are written by people with no knowledge of the Steelers plans and who are speculating at best.

Despite recent picks like Artie Burns and Sean Davis who didn't get a 2nd contract after their rookie deal, I don't believe Juju or Conner are going anywhere. Burns and Davis were forced out by better players being the starters. Not the same with Juju and Conner. I don't believe they would invest quality time into developing Smith-Shuster just to walk away.

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Juju (and his agent) are going to be looking at Tyreek Hill/Amari Cooper money. We're talking 18-20M per year.

I know there's alot of JuJu fans out there, but you're going to need to ask yourself who is more important to the Steelers JuJu or TJ Watt. Because they are both going to be looking for Mega 100M+ deals and we won't be able to afford both.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think if Juju and his agent are looking for that kind of money there will be reams dumb enough to spend it but I think you will see GM's, teams, and pundits point out if he doesn't rebound this season the fact that while he is a top tier receiver he needs a true #1 across from him to rise to that huge money elite level. Right or wrong.

For me it has little to do with liking these guys(I do though) and more to do with developing some very good players and not keeping them because of bad deals made years ago. I mean Juju hitting his peak and having to leg him sign with Baltimore or KC or ugggh Cleveland because they signed VWill to a ridiculous contract 3 years ago, or put half their cap space into Ben's extension with no options to have cap relief. I really don't like losing player X Y or Z because of kicking the can down the road with restructuring bad deals.

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Who is JuJu's competition that will hit free agency next year? If he rebounds & there is not elite wrs to choose from, yeah he will be a cap casual. If he hits free agency with say an AB or Hopkins then he might fit more with what we are able to offer him.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If Conner has another injury riddled season, I don’t see how they can sign him. Especially if Snell and McFarland have good seasons.

I’m hoping JuJu bounces back and makes it tough on them to let him go. Except for Claypool, he’s the youngest receiver on the team, could locked up a great receiver for a very long time.

If he has another down season, decision is easy to move on. There won’t be anything to point to except that he doesn’t have AB anymore.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    If JuJu bounces back, more than just one player will be lost then as a result. I do not see James Washington, Alejandro Villanueva, Cameron Sutton, James Conner and Zach Banner returning. As SteelCity already stated, $18-20 Million will be JuJus asking price; regardless of how his season goes assuming he stays healthy all 16 games. Receivers like JuJu do not come around very often and the upcoming Free Agent market for Wide Receivers is not looking too hot at the moment.

Quite a bit of them but here are some of the incumbents to challenge JuJu:

Corey Davis

Cooper Kupp

Keenan Allen

Sammy Watkins

Chris Godwin

Allen Robinson

There are others like John Ross, Marquis Lee and even A.J. Green, but the aforementioned that are listed not only are young with little to no injury woes but are accomplished as well. However, for me, JuJu stands as the one above all; his own accomplishments adding to his value. Assuming JuJu does indeed leave in Free Agency, expect an immense bidding war for him to occur

Of the teams the Steelers do not want JuJu to go is, ironically enough, the Miami Dolphins. Getting Tua on the fast track will be critical heading into Year two. Someone like JuJu can not only assist in this but add another dimension to Miami's offense. In addition, Florida has no taxes and JuJu will have more limelight than he could possibly even dream of having.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

See my post above.

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    agree, that if Connor stays healthy and is productive in 2020, they will sign him. But I think that will be a mistake. Connors health and running style make a 2nd contract a bad investment.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He was ready for last season.

Yippie.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Washington will be back in 2021 that's the last year of his rookie deal, they can franchise JuJu if he bounces back, and they want to keep him in 2021 to play with Ben.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Keep in mind that JuJus cap hit is to likely increase from 2021 to 2022. That is often how NFL Contracts work via the second year of resigning. For example, Micheal Thomas' contract goes from $12.6 Million in 2021 to 15.35 in 2022. The increase is quite big.

From that point onward, who knows how well James Washington will play by then?! Assuming he does continue to improve, I can see James Washington pricing himself out of Pittsburgh. Perhaps this is another indication as to why Chase Claypool was brought in.

Keep in mind that in 2018, Kevin Colbert stated that James was the deep threat that Pittsburgh needed to acquire to replace the trade of Martavis Bryant. Fast forward to today and, in a recent interview with NBC Sports Mike Florio, Colbert stated that Pittsburgh drafted Chase because the team did not have that deep threat option; not a good endorsement for James' future here.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Remember when the national media was on Ben about being fat :facepalm:

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Is there a picture of Ben standing on a scale that I'm not seeing in this tweet?

;+)

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I remember when I was on him for being fat.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    From that twatter thing, I found this interesting:

Ben Roethlisberger has more wins in Cleveland than every Browns QB since 1999.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yikes!!

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He looks great, never doubted him personally and I said back in November or December or whenever it was that those pictures were going around that the beard and winter clothes were making him look much heavier than he actually was.

Ben will be in great condition and ready to go for the season I have no doubt about it. Whether his arm will ever be the same is all I am worried about.

As for juju he is working to the point of obsession to be ready for 2020 going by his social media. What happens after that with his second contract is anybody’s guess at the moment. I’d love him to stay but it’s probably 50/50 that he remains a steeler.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1