1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 18, 2020.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    You too, thanks.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not close? You have to have the infection to spread it. God only knows how many people have the virus without the symptoms or complications. All the products they touch & people not covering their coughs that could be carried on the products you buy, the gas pump that everyone handles seems to me like a playground for the virus to spread.

The volume of people that goes in & out of your establishment must correlate with your chances of coming into contact with an infected person. Here in Florida you can go to Outback & have a beer but you can't go have a beer at the pub because of social distancing. :confused1:
    I'm not privy to how Pennsylvania is dealing with the epidemic but our leaders here are shooting from the hip.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Sounds like a great strategy to start catching up to the more urban areas.

Risk of infection is a product of how much virus you’re exposed to and for how long. A trace amount of virus that you get by walking past an infected person in a large space like a Wal Mart or supermarket is significantly less likely to infect you than sitting near an infected person in a restaurant which a) has a much, much lower volume of air to dilute to the virus, and b) provides for an extended period of exposure while diners sit and eat. The Wal Mart employee of course is at higher risk than the customers because they are in that environment for several consecutive hours, and can be exposed to a low level of virus particles long enough for a threshold level to be reached. A barber is at very high risk because he/she is in VERY close quarters with people for a half hour each. This hits very close to home for me because my dad is a 75 year old barber who owns his own shop. When he is allowed to reopen on June 1, he will reopen and have people in his very small shop for 1/2 hour at a time. If he has one asymptotic carrier that needs to take off his mask for a beard trim, my 75 year old dad is likely to be exposed to a high enough concentration of the virus for a long enough time to become infected. Also, with respect to your your gas station example - just clean your hands after handling the pump and you’ll be fine. If you have sanitizer, keep a small amount in your car and use it after touching surfaces like gas pumps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I get what your saying but can't comprehend why someone can come to Florida & can stay at a motel but they cannot rent a vacation home. Gun Shoppes were considered "essential" to be open to the public. Restaurants can reopen with limited capacity but the local tavern owner (who serves food) has to keep his doors closed. My argument is quarantine if you must but stop with the willy-nilly on who is allowed to re-open & who isn't.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Never believe anything you read. Most is click bait and garbage to fill space.

6. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    How can this be? Ben is back throwing very well with nearly a year off on his body and backed up with QBs'with game experience and 8 wins under their belts. Hell, we nearly got to the playoff with these back ups and we are now worse? I know our defense woke up and helped but if the Deer and Duck were truly so horrible our defense wouldn't have made a difference to get so many wins. Think positive. If you like the organization and ownership, trust them more.

7. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    "When you watch him play, there's something missing".
    Well, I know what that was, its called help. From the line, run game, receivers, and play calling. Who can we really say did an outstanding job helping our completely inexperienced QBs last year.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    April 20 the PA supreme court ruled the governors orders to control covid 19 outbreak are constitutional and in his authority to do so:

court finding:

We grant the request to exercise our King’s Bench jurisdiction. For the reasons set forth in this opinion, we conclude that Respondents had the statutory authority to issue the Executive Order and that Petitioners have not established any basis for relief based upon their constitutional challenges. The claim for relief requested in the Application, to vacate or strike the Executive Order, is therefore denied. Justices Baer, Todd and Wecht join the opinion. Chief Justice Saylor files a concurring and dissenting opinion in which Justices Dougherty and Mundy join.

9. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    So, if we had Dalton last year to begin the season, would it have been different than having Ben? Would Dalton beaten NE? The total offense was bad and mostly the OL not helping pass blocking or getting a run game established by dominating the LOS. That's the elephant in the room and if we get the same production from the OL coming up as we did last year, then yes, Ben will not last the season and it won't matter who is back up is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I actually like it up the butt much more in my old age. Wait...that didn't come out right. Crap. That didn't sound right either. I should stop now.
    (If you can take me seriously at this point, I agree with you. If you'd rather me not agree with you at this point, I totally understand.)

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You're right, for certain. But he couldn't target/lead receivers properly. That doesn't have much to do with scheme, does it?

12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    The problem is the reliance on "masks" for protection. Masks are only effective to keep the virus from leaving its host through the air. They do very little to keep the virus from finding and attaching to a new host. "Don't touch your face." Great advice. A mask doesn't keep airborne particles from reaching your eyes or skinborne particles from being introduced through touch. If someone really wanted to protect themselves, they would wear an approved mask with a face shield and not touch their face without thoroughly sanitizing their hands first.

13. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I agree that he was thrown to the wolves. Won't argue that. He had no help. His attitude was admirable in light of his situation. But he couldn't complete the basic, fundamental aspects of his craft at a professional level. There were times that the OL held up and he had time to step into throws. He was not accurate. He did not look capable. I expected more.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because stores are considered essential, people are supposed to keep their distance in stores.

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd like to think it isn't but during the Vick experiment I watched him drop a 40 yard bomb against the sideline to Wheaton but he couldn't complete a 3 yard quick slant to AB. So maybe I'm wrong.

Again I think this goes to comfort level with a prostyle offense. If you spent you college career taking snaps exclusively out of shotgun, spread formation. Getting under center learning a 3,5 or 7 step drop, trust the protection, step up and deliver the throw takes time to get accustomed to. Even at a pro level you have to develop those skills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    He doesn't move well at all.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Masks are not full protection, but when an infected person wears a mask properly they will not be projecting virus particles over long distances. The point of any mask other than an N-95 or equivalent is to protect the people coming into contact with the mask-wearer, not the mask wearer. That's why I find it disgusting when someone refuses to wear a mask in a setting where there's risk of transmission via exhaled droplets. How hard is it to protect other people by wearing one? Apparently some people would rather tell everyone around them "I don't give a $%^& about your life or anyone else's life" then just wear one and say "hey, we're in this together, so let's protect each other and allow our economy to stay open without killing people." A mask isn't the be-all, end-all, but it helps a lot to avoid projecting virus. That's been well proven. If everyone in close quarters wore a mask, it would dramatically reduce the spread of the virus and allow the healthcare system and the economy to be stronger.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Maybe most people in our quad county area should start wearing masks or the death rate might double or even triple. Oh wait the total amount of people who have died in these counties is zero. So I guess if the death rate doubles or triples the amount of people who have died from the Wu Flu in Crawford, Venango, Forest etc. counties is still zero.

19. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    The Pa supreme court can say whatever they want but when law enforcement refuses to enforce these rules then they mean nothing.

20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I am glad law enforcement is not enforcing these laws

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    You are lucky. I live in Florida & can't wait for all the theme parks to reopen bringing in people from all around the globe. :eek:

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I really do hope you’re right, but unless those counties are blockading against entry from outside, it can spread to places that are currently lightly affected. There are plenty of rural areas that have had outbreaks and deaths without knowing who initially brought the virus in. It only takes one person who is pre-symptomatic or asymptotic in a confined area for several minutes or longer. Even if the odds are in favor of you’re county not having an outbreak, they’d be far more favorable if people observed common sense measures to minimize spread, at least until the nearby urban areas with higher cases get more under control.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nope, NY and here it’s mandatory. Police will issue you a citation or give you a mask if seen without one.

I don’t get sick, I’ll go several seasons without getting so much as a cold, I’m really not worried for myself. I wear a mask for other people, I don’t relish the idea of possibly killing someone. Instead of everyone butting heads over this, should just worked together and move past it as quickly as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Okay, getting back on topic...

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bens like come on, thats all you got!