1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Defense Revisited

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, May 16, 2020.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bush should make a big jump.

I think Edmunds is what he is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The tough part for 2020 is finding a top shelf offense. I think our O-line is not good enough on run blocking to make teams take our running game seriously, so teams playing us will be looking for the pass now that Ben is back and being one dimensional will limit us. If we had a RB that could fill the role that Bell had and had the same skill set as Bell, I could imagine we piece together a more credible offense that with our defense would make us a serious threat. Right now I see us as just a playoff threat, but nothing much more.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm just glad we didn't shut the world down in the late 60's when the Hong Kong flu was kicking some serious ass. Steelers may have never had the amazing 70's decade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I doubt it personally. Dupree showed more flashes of his potential in Year 2 before the injury bug bit him again. Terrell has not shown much of anything.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was just reading a piece on Bleacher Report.

Apparently Steven Nelson last year was:
    - targeted only 74 times in 1011 snaps
    - allowed only half of those to be completed for 491 yards
    - didn’t allow a touchdown all season
    - passer rating against of 65.8

Those stats are reasons to be cheerful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our corners are not studs but damn they do their job and work well together. Minkah also has their back so they can take chances

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I know which is why my biased opinion they are the best in the league for today’s standard defense. There are no more shut down defenses.

we limit the run
    Best at creating pressure
    Best at taking the ball away
    Stop teams in the red zone

Can’t ask more from a defense.

Offense just needs to limit turnovers and we will be successful, I’m looking at you Ben, conner, juju lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey bigbenhotness.

First, nice on the statistics. Great Job!

Second, I am not sure if you or anyone else thought about this. Given the data that you posted, I think the numbers would have been even better if we a had an.... OFFENSE. Yes, if we could have averaged more than, what, one TD per game in many instances we keep the "D" off the field and their numbers even get better. That in part is what has me very excited about the pending upcoming season.

Now given that, the part that has me, and should have everyone else anxious, is our QB situation. No big revelation here. No big breaking news. If no Big Ben and no strong contingency plan, which we do not have, then in all likelihood we see a rerun of last season's movie.

This is why I was advocating for Andy Dalton big time. We are stacked on the "D". Good to go. Contrary to what some here may think, we are set on the "O". Every skilled position is covered IMO. The O-Line should rebound IMO. However, a broken record here, we need a competent QB at the helm. If it comes down to Mason or Duck, I hate to say it folks it probably will not be pretty. Neither is ready to lead this team. In fact, I do not know if either can. If they are, again I do not see them being ready now. I would rather have kept Landry Jones at this point.

Mr. Rooney and Ben have gone on record stating that they are confident in Ben's return. Okay that is great. However, Ben’s arm has been compromised. We have nothing to fall back on if he gets hurt or there is a delay in his return or any other kind of setback. As a matter of fact when you think about it, we really are no better off now than where we were before Ben got hurt last season regarding the back-up QB situation. So as the saying goes, I am cautiously optimistic about next season. Nonetheless, we are playing with fire IMO.

It is unsettling to a degree, as we all know, that our success hinges so much on one player but it is the truth. We know the QB is the key cog in the machine. No Ben, or equivalent, and we are most likely average at best. Got Ben, got aspirations, and legitimate ones for a ring. Man, what a disparity in possible outcomes. Again, all contingent upon one man in one position.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Pass coverage underneath will have to improve. ILB especially. This is going to be the make or break spot. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey mac daddyo.

You have your wish list and I have mine. You may have heard me emphasize this point throughout the past few months. That is, I still think that we can do so much better in defending the run. You may have seen my wish list item for that Casey Hampton 2.0 NT. A true NT to play in our defense. One of the big differences now versus when Casey was here is that, Yes, we finally have a secondary that can shut down a passing attack! I really think we are just one player shy of a totally dominating "D" and the NT is it. In addition, the only other weak link IMO, is Edmunds. However, his deficiencies have been compensated up to now for the spectacular play of Haden, Nelson and Fitzpatrick. Hopefully, he improves and then really watch out.

I do not know if you remember, I believe it may have been a Monday Night game against the Raiders and Rich Gannon about 20 years ago. I think he threw something like 30+ passes complete in a row on us. Our run "D" was great but we were vulnerable to the pass and it was exploited. However, now we have what I would consider a near complete "D". We can shut down the pass. Our Run "D" isn't bad but Hargrave was manning down that NT spot to the best of his ability, yet he was playing out of position due to his size. Get a true NT and add that to the other 10 starters we have on "D" and I say watch out again.

The run is coming back, it is here. And as I said before, it is because there is a drop-off of the quality QBs left in the league. In this current era take a look. The Manning Brothers are gone. Luck is gone. Ben, Brady, Brees and Rivers are near the exit door. Who is really left of quality QBs. I would say Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson and that is it. We have to prepare better to guard against the run. We were not top ten last season I believe. We can be so much better. Add that true NT and I think this "D elevates to that next level.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind that Pittsburgh has two linebackers who run in the 4.4s. Gilbert III and Bush are ridiculously rangy given their athletic capabilities. Besides, I believe Gilbert III is going to surprise some people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is the point people tend to miss about the defense, that they were among the best in the league in spite of an offense that made their jobs incredibly difficult. Sure, the Ravens' defense might have better raw statistics in some areas, but they also led the league in offensive time of possession. The Steelers were 26th. Honestly, I'm surprised they were that high. The offense also didn't help with turnovers, constantly asking the defense to bail them out.

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There was some podcast last week (not Steeler specific) and they felt the Nelson signing "evidently did not work". I said WTH? I think they were only looking at his 1 int. But you have to look at the larger picture, those stats you shared, the amount to team turnovers (which his tight play helped make possible), and a stat not covered...we rarely heard his name mentioned, as opposed to "has been' Burn(ed)s. To not make mistakes and remain anonymous in that position is a great compliment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If Gilbert is given the chance. Despite his speed Bush needs better recognition and reaction. He gave up 5 TDs in the passing game. He gave up a 67.7% completion against rating. They targeted him 68 times and completed 46 of those. Now with Vince giving up 86.7% rate that doesn't bode well. Edmunds had a better % against the pass his rookie year. His was 59.5%. Edmunds last year was targeted 50 times and gave up 72% rate, but only 4 TDs. Of course he also played 147 more snaps then bush. They targeted Bush 18 more times even with them having more chances against edmunds.

These 3 were targeted 133 times and gave up 95 catches and gave up 10 TDs. Barron gave up 2 TDs. he was targeted 71 times and gave up 52 catches. 73.2%. There is a pattern here by teams because of our good corners and minkah. This will have to improve.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You shouldn't bother with that podcast any more. Anybody who evaluates a cornerback based solely on interceptions has no idea what they are talking about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Every defense has an Achilles and while I feel we are speedy and can rush the passer, big heavy run teams will give us fits.

I’m looking at you Cowboys, ravens, titans lol

17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It was a YT drive by, do not even know if I could find it, and have no intention of trying.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Minkah was an All-Pro in his second season, but he's not a top 100 player :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ve always felt that Pete Prisco has no clue whatsoever about football. A wasted sports writing roster spot IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This would be the point in holding on to Williams then.

Also, if no one picks Mark Barron up do you bring him back to camp for league minimum?

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes

No

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yea no thanks on barron

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We might need Barron if Bush doesn't figure out his coverage assignments.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hard to argue that with his Minkah snub.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Problems Steelers need to address to make a significant difference in their season.
    1. Develop improve their ss position
    2. Increase their ilb depth
    3 Increase their olb depth
    4. Increase DL depth.