1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Mason Rudoph?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Apr 22, 2020.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph is ranked 15th best backup QB according to CBS sports. Jameis Winston is #1.

2. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Nothing Rudolph has shown me makes me believe he is the QB of the future. We’ll see what he has this season, if there is a season. Its a game of roulette, and the Steelers seem to have placed all the chips on Big Ben coming back strong. If he is not the Ben of old, or if he is injured again, I see 8 or maybe 9 wins. With that good defense, if whoever the QB is plays well enough to not blow games, thats it. If we get the Ben of ten years ago I can see 11 wins.
    I’m not counting on that.
    With the economics of the game as they are, they wont be making a deal for a good veteran QB as long as Ben is on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    It's here. Personally I do not know anyone that has it nor do any of my friends and family know of anyone that has had it. It's pretty benign here but it does exist. https://www.covid-19canada.com/graphs

• Like Like x 1
  4. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Winston's 1 year contract with the Saints has a $1.1 million cap hit. Incentives for playing time and playoffs make up another potential $3.5+ million in potential earnings.

I would have beaten that offer in a heartbeat. Oh well, in Mason we trust (I guess)....

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Solid bargain. Maybe we didn’t have a envelope that could hold that much money? :smiley1:

9. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    No. Actually I only look at the pictures! :hehehe:

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Rudolph does not have the arm strength, plain and simple... Throws loopy passes that don't have that line drive trajectory that is needed on certain throws...

Not every QB has a strong arm, But there are still good ones ( Marsha arrrggghhhh ) That compensate for this flaw with pinpoint accuracy, And Mason is far from pinpoint...

This IMO, Is why I don't think he will ever be good...The greatest QB Coach in the World can't cure these 2 decencies

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree on his accuracy not being close to pinpoint. As far as arm strength I think that is what made him a 3rd round draft pick. The few times he does step into his throws it is on a rope but looks to me like he doesn't know where & when to place it yet. The speed of the NFL might be too much for him to overcome. He looked hesitant to throw last year to me. Knew he had a checkdown which he is pretty good at.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I live in NJ and know of no one who had or has it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Most qb's at this level can throw darts short range. It's arm strength that allows you to throw accurate medium to long range passes. Without it, you put too much arc and add time to the delivery. Mason doesn't get the ball to the receivers in a hurry because of being unsure as well as arm strength.

14. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    His arm is strong enough. It’s the timing of his passes that’s a mess. Is he the future ? I doubt it but we will see.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed, he looked good in Preseason when they were allowing him to throw the ball down the field on a regular basis and he was facing base defenses.

16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011

Neat stat. Good company to be in.

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Mason can make the down field throws, his intermediate route throwing and under dinks and dunks need work.

Needs better pocket presence to extend the play.

He also got diddly poo of a running attack last season, both he and Hodges alike for that matter had no help from the run game.
    The games where Duck played better were games were run attack showed up, like San Diego and Cleveland at home.

Mason needs to make more of his next chance, it will probably be his last. The NFL doesn't give you many shots of showing you belong.

I saw glimpses of good things. I still say had Mason not get hurt we would of probably beat the Jets and made the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This.

his ability to handle pressure is abysmal, I believe it ranked dead last.

If he gets better at that and the intermediate throws like you said, maybe they’ll have something in him.

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the odds are against him. A few months back, I rewatched a handful of his college games. His success was on lofted passes and quick passes behind the LOS. Bombs. Fades. Bubble screens. You can’t get away with that limited of an arsenal in the NFL. He was consistently awful leading receivers on intermediate routes, but that’s NFL bread and butter.

I hope he figures it out, but I would have preferred a new #2 this offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Pocket presence & timing is what Mason needs. Maybe it comes with time but I see him as a career backup. :shrug:

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m going on hindsight here. On May 8 Winston might have been a good signing. Now, he would have had zero snaps with a new team. He may have gotten few in camp or preseason. He would be worth less at this point than Rudolph or Duck. This year. Team experience counts a lot.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe having a new QB coach will help Mason with his pocket presence.

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    How long would that benefit last though? If Ben goes down for multiple games, a better QB would eliminate that "edge" pretty quickly. Maybe even in his first game.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    In all honesty, Mason panning out assists the Steelers future development of their team. For example, Joe Haden is going to have a very high cap hit in 2021. Can Justin Layne show enough to supplant him?! What about Bud Dupree?! Could he re-enact his 2019 Season yet again?! How much will he command?!

These questions are not even accounting for other big personnel moves in the future such as T.J. Watt, Zach Banner, Minakh's fifth year option; to name a few. While these aforementioned moves will likely get done, what about the rest of the previous personnel on the team?! How will that play out?!

Mason not developing will create quite a chasm for the entire team. At that point, drafting a Quarterback as the first pick for the team will oh most be a certainty. Never mind that, assuming Justin Layne not developing either, that is yet another major issue in it of itself. Do not forget about who is supplanting Vince Williams either. As much as I like UG3, even now, how much improvement will he show in Year 2, with COVID 19 around still, is still a major question mark.

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Probably half of those TDs came vs Pitt. Didn't Mason throw for a gazillion yds when OK St played At Heinz Field. Every TD seems like it was a 50-80 yd pass.