1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Harrison Mega Thread

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by SDOT, Aug 23, 2019.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Disco1981.

I hope al is well with you and your loved ones. All is okay here.

Thank you for the compliment. Yeah, I was watching First take a few minutes ago. The biggest issue was the "Optics" of the situation. At least for Stephen A. Max stated that he was okay with giving James the money if there to be a fine. However, and I see Stephen A's point. It was given right after the game before any fine was handed down.

Now on the other hand, Tomlin probably figured that James was going to get fined AGAIN, "So look James here is the money up front now to pay for it. We know it is coming from Goofdell regardless". Some are trying to connect it to Bounty Gate with the Saints. I do not think so. I do not feel in my heart that is the way the Steelers operate. And that is not coming from me wearing Color-Shaded glasses. Just me knowing my beloved Steelers and how they operate. Could I be wrong? Sure. However, my gut tells me that it was just a friend helping a friend. At least when they were friends at the time. James was great. He could probably still play today and be effective. Unfortunately, he is a throwback and there is no place for him in this puss-fied league today. What a real shame.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey thesteeldeal.

Absolutely regarding the "Politics". The Steelers already wasted a 1st Round with Jarvis "The Bust" Jones. They were not going to do that again with Dupree. It would be the proverbial egg on the face two times in a row with two #1 busts. BTW, I am still not that impressed with Dupree. And you are not that far off from your quote: "I blame Jarvis Jones" as you will see if you read on.

As I have stated here several times, they wasted almost a decade on trying to find that other "Bookend" OLB. Four wasted with Jones and another four with Dupree. And IMO, Dupree is "adequate". He is satisfactory. He should excel given the other pieces that now surround him on our "D". For me, I still am not that impressed with Dupree. In addition, how about Edmunds? Here we have all of those #1s on our "D" and Dupree seems to be taking advantage of it. Although I am definitely expecting much more from him this coming season.

As far as Edmunds, he needs to get it together, and now. I do not want us to be in the same contractual trap with Edmunds that Dupree put us in. Meaning he took to his last contractual year "to arrive". Thus, Dupree had us over a barrel with either tagging him or releasing him into the FA market. Well, we know how that turned out.

I really hope that Highsmith becomes a pleasant surprise and quickly. Look, I want Dupree, Edmunds and any other player who dons the B & G to excel. They just need to do it at a faster pace so we can avoid these contract issues. Maybe it is not totally Dupree's and Edmund's faults. One only knows it sure does not seem that this Coaching Staff is very good at developing talent. Dupree was considered raw with great physical attributes. Not a polished product. That is where the job of Coaching A.K.A. Teaching comes into effect. again, does not seem to be one of the strengths of this coaching unit.

Oh, and for the record, IMO, I still think that James is better than both Jones and Dupree.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I can't believe that this is getting as much traction as it is, from butt hurt Sean Peyton to Browns fans crying foul for targeting their players(as if playing in Cleveland wasn't injury enough) The man said his coach handed him an envelope and people are acting like its the coke recipe or the 11 herbs and spices. Heck it could be the location of the lost ark for al we know.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I bet he said it with a wry smile, knowing it was stirring the pot. But I'm with you, non-issue. To quote Hillary, at this point, "What difference does it make?"

5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    51e5f4baeb0d559d43be21bf6c1bea41.jpg

I'll be collecting during camp thank you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah interesting that was week 6......totally washed up..........:facepalm:

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Surprised why? There's nothing going on in the sports world/NFL. They are looking for stories and Traitorson went and gave them one. He knew exactly what he was doing. But he's this boards hero, so... Whatever I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    By comparison - the guy he was subbing for (Dupree) had 43 snaps and 1 tackle working against the same left tackle. That's it. No sacks. No QB hits. No tackles for loss. Dupree had a total of 7 QB hits all season while averaging about 50-55 snaps per game. Dupree has gotten a whole lot better since 2017, but in that season I don't think there's any reasonable doubt that JH could have (and should have been allowed to) contributed as a situational edge rusher.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why is it so hard for some of you to just say that JH was an amazing Steeler with arguably the best play in SB history but was a dickhead his last season and acted like one again with this comment?

Phew thats tough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Are you applying this same logic to AB?

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Well while we are at it, NOD got an envelope as well.....from Jerry Jones.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

:facepalm:

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t forget the whopping 3 snaps he had in the loss against Chicago, where we got run roughshod on and especially don’t forget he was in NE when we were getting run over by Fournette and the Jaguars. If you can’t admit Tomlin screwed the pooch with the way he handed JH ,you’ aren’t being completely honest about it. ...IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup.....yet still more capable than the guy 10+ years younger.....:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Elvis come on man, I expect this from them but you can’t tell me you believe JH played at a high level?

He never had any playing time to speak of for it to disappear, those 15 snaps were the most he had of any game, the only other game he sniffed that was Baltimore with 11 snaps and he did nothing.

Now people bringing up Bud, that was never part of discussion, Grout successfully spun it away from his absurd comment that JH was playing at a high level.

If you want to argue that JH should have been coming in late in the games with fresh legs fine, but now you’re going in a completely different direction and touching on Tomlins coaching style, it’s not his philosophy to do that. He could have been using Hargrave to relieve Tuitt and Hayward to keep them fresh, he just doesn’t do that, he rides everyone into the ground. Completely different argument.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, great Steeler career, crappy exit

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
  19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    All solid points. I'm not so concerned with how we label JH's level of play, though. High, medium, low, it makes little difference. The eye test, during and after, showed that a more effective edge rusher sat on the bench when we needed to generate a pass rush and give our db's a fighting chance. When the kid starting at the position is completely nullified by even journeymen opposite him, then it's time to give the vet a chance to make a difference. Silverback's strength (literal and figurative) was not in spelling the starter for a few reps. One of the strongest players on the field should have been used to wear down his side of the line over time, not to give others a breather. Until Bud showed he could make an impact, he should have been spelling Harrison.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think I was pretty clear earlier in saying that JH could have been a solid contributor as a situational player, especially as a closer late in a game when we needed to generate a pass rush - exactly the way he was used perfectly against KC in Week 6. It wasn't about keeping Dupree fresh. It was about situational football, and generating the kind of spark for the pass rush that Harrison generated at the end of that game. Dupree wasn't particularly effective rushing the passer back in 2017.

Mostly though, my intent is to piss off SDOT by finding anything good to say about JH that I can possibly come up with.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    My hero :bowdown:

• Like Like x 2
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    :facepalm: = out of answers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    It's damn impressive thanks to Ben, just saying...:shock:

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I have better things to do than deal with immaturity.