1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Saturday

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, May 13, 2020.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Teams can start working out...So, Does this mean we'll see guys in Pittsburgh? On the practice field? Ben throwing to receivers?

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well that gets my hopes up. Not sure how it is going to work. My only fear at this point is the media, let just one thing go a little wrong, like a player had a cough and they will beat the story to death and everything will stop again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I haven't heard that, I thought they were still doing that virtual training thing.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    NFL announcing that it will remain virtual until the end of May. Extending the May 15th deadline.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    A dagger in the heart I fear may come is things will abate and then second wave comes in Fall, maybe we get a few weeks into the season, month maybe and then the rest of the season is canceled.

There are some promising treatments being worked on, perhaps with that they can manage it better the second time around.

And of course they could resort to no fans. No fans and if players get sick, drugs like remdesivir are showing it reduces length of illness by 30% and thats what we have now. More developments by then will be available hopefully.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    i can envision some leeway on the injury list and number of players being available to the roster I would think. They already increased it this year, but was that before this whole thing hit?

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Practice squad increased as well, I think a couple more spots in the future. Might be good to increase it now. In that same thought, if Baseball wants to start a season and the minors do not go, who do they call up? So many things to work through just to get to practice, let alone games.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    We need a LBer with a new shirt....."I Wasn't Hired for my Social Distancing"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought I read yesterday that Los Angeles County extended its stay at home order for another 3 months.

I also thought the NFL policy was going to be if 1 team can't do it; then nobody can.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Thats the info I read this morning.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Sounds like Baseball will be starting July 4th, with an 82 game schedule and expanded rosters. (With or without fans.)

So maybe there will still be a shot at playing the HOF game on schedule this year.

12. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    this virus is apparently the most contagious disease ever known to man kind. So how long can we expect that a player won’t get it and pass it on to the majority of said team or teams they play against? Seems like it will happen within a week or 2 and everything will be shut down anyway.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I suspect the same will happen at schools, bars, restaurants, etc.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Yeah, I'm waiting to see if lifting the quarantine will create a cluster**** in our healthcare system. Not optimistic about what's in store.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel machine.

Of course the media will look at everything with a microscope. maybe in this case it isn't such a bad thing as long as it isn't sensationalism which is what the media does best. Personally, I think this is foolish. The Coronavirus is in its infancy Stages. What do people not get? There is way more and I mean way more unknown than known about this thing.

For example, just within the past few days there have been near 150 deaths of young children in this country from what seems to be a "Spin-Off" illness of this virus. It is inflammatory-based and all of the children either had the virus or have antibodies in their systems. Wow! That is a very, very scary thought. Just a few months ago, the medical world, and the media, were touting that this disease is primarily confined to the elderly and people with "compromised" immune systems. That children were the least likely to get it. Really? Now this!

Science Lesson:

Look, I am not a doctor but I do have a minor in Biology. One thing, about any living entity, Single-Cell Organisms or all the way up the life-chain to us is that the goal of any living thing is.... SURVIVAL. So, should this should come as a surprise to anyone? Not to me. Again, the Coronavirus' #1 objective is to maintain life, to survive. This is why Bacteria and Viruses have been on this planet a way longer time than people and will in all likelihood be here if we as human beings completely perish to the point of extinction.

Given all of this, I get the cabin favor thing folks. Nonetheless, look at where we have come from in this country since the first nine verified cases in Washington State approximately two months ago. Since then, 100s of thousands of documented infected cases and 10s of thousands of deaths in this country. As far as the documented infected people that is with only about 1% of the people in the U.S. being tested. Ugh!

In the end people need to pump their brakes and slow down. Stay at home. Spend some quality time with your families and loved ones. We have enough advancements in the field of Telecommunications to reach out to family and friends. Some people act like it has been two years on lock down versus two months.

The last thing I am worried about is football. Sure, I am just as anxious as everyone else here to get it rolling. However, and just a suggestion, get yourselves mentally prepared for a world without it for now. It is okay to be "optimistic" but also stay grounded and remain "realistic". This, if there is none. Then the letdown will not be as hard. The WHO CDC and other key Global Health Organizations are finding out new things everyday about this monster. Do not read too deeply into every little news byte that surfaces on the hour. instead, keep in focus the bigger picture. Remember, it is going to probably take up at a minimum a year to find a vaccine. That is going to take us well past this season's Super Bowl.

Hold up TV flash.

Okay i am back. Unbelievable but Typical as I say in these situations. So, part of Disney World is open and the "flock of human sheep" are out there with no masks and no social distancing for many that I saw on TV. I know for me, I am having a blast at home with my fiancé who has not been to work in awhile, fortunately she is getting paid. Also, my step daughter and her children are home.

Not boasting here with what I am about to say next. it is just from the heart. I paid my stepdaughter's rent for the last two months so she could take off from one of her jobs. The most dangerous. Fortunately, her job will be there for her when she returns. This coming from a retired teacher who is living off a pension. However, I look at it like this. I am fortunate enough to get a pension and although it is not a lot of money it is a small sacrifice to make to keep her and her family safe and healthy.

She works as a Certified Nurse's Assistant, making minimal pay and of all assignments she was works on the Coronavirus unit at a local hospital. It has her mother and children as well as me on edge. She feels better, her mom does, her children and of course me as well. It is a small monetary sacrifice that I am making to protect everyone.

Finally, get a little creative folks. Enjoy this time alone with your family and love ones. We are having a barbecue in the backyard with our recently purchased portable Basketball hoop.You can still go to the parks and outside. You know the saying about lemons and lemonade. I think this is a good time to put it into effect. Ribs and chicken smell great. C-ya!

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

16. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Just don't let BB in charge of monitoring player symptoms. And don't let any strange crew around the other stadiums. It won't be a camera crew filming opposing teams' sidelines. It will be a crew with runny noses coughing and sneezing on the clean, locker room towels.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

Give me and inch and I'll take a mile

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1