1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Harrison Mega Thread

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by SDOT, Aug 23, 2019.

1. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Failed leader or not, one thing he has been since he has coached here and no one can deny. He has failed miserably on a consistent bases in preparing his teams to play. Especially against lesser teams. That's been his main problem and it's a bad problem to have in the NFL. Each game matters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    You say it can’t be argued, but he has the 2nd highest winning percentage among active coaches (he is pretty high on the list for all-time as well). He has won one Super Bowl and been to another. I don’t dispute that we have lost embarrassing games through the years, but the same can be said of Cowher.

If you think back on some of the embarrassing games, there has been horrific play by certain players. In terms of last year alone, we probably win another couple of games if Boswell makes some kicks. Through the years, there have been other games where Ben has had meltdowns , etc. When Ben is on, he is one of the best, but when he has a bad day at the office, it can be epic.

Eagles fans had some of the same complaints about Andy Reid. When they replaced him with Chip Kelly, they learned pretty quickly about what they had lost. Reid has since had some pretty good seasons with KC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There is probably a pretty long list of average coaches who could have succeeded if handed what Tomlin was handed. Culture, ownership, a solid system, great talent, etc. etc.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    A couple seasons later, Ealges are hoisting the trophy. Just sayin...

5. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    They hoisted a trophy with yet another coach.

Chip Kelly left their team having made a bunch of bad decisions. He traded away Nick Foles and Lesean McCoy, cut Desean Jackson, and let Jeremy Maclin leave via free agency. Lest we forget the contract he gave to Demarco Murray. These are just some of the things I remember (living near eagles country).

You are right, they did eventually win a SuperBowl, but it was after some ugly drama, multiple coaching changes, and a roster rebuild.

I would rather have organizational stability and continuity. We have had a few sketchy years but generally remain competitive. All the while Tomlin had to completely rebuild the offensive line and defense. He has also had remarkable success with finding and grooming wide receivers.

Sometimes things aren’t as bad as they seem in the moment.

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's my point. Change doesn't always lead to the dark ages. It took less than 10 years, and a lot less talent, which Tomlin has had both of, and he's going backwards. I still have faith in the organization to do the right thing. Tomlin, not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    With their situation, they had a horrible choice followed by a good one. It was a 50 percent success rate in the replacement of the last two coaches (a coin flip).

The NFL has a high turnover rate, there are many more failures than success stories. I agree talent is part of the story, but you cannot discount coaching.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think what we really need on this board is another debate over whether or not Tomlin is a good coach. I can never get enough of that debate!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    sorry to resurrect this thread but Harrison was a guest on Willie Colon's podcast and added light to his time in Pittsburgh and the final months with the Steelers. It was a good read(didn't listen to the podcast yet but I think it would have been easier than reading the article. One really interesting thing was that he called Tomlin and said Darth Hoodie had called him and he was going to sign with the Pats if they didn't want him. Tomlin said do what you gotta do. Harrison said even after that he delayed signing as long as he could to see if they changed their mind.

For the record I think he had a legitimate concern but he handled it in an unprofessional manner. I wasn't in the rooms so maybe that was the only option but both parties were wrong.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  11. andy32

andy32 Member

Apr 25, 2020
    The only problem I ever had with the way Harrison handled the whole thing was the way he broke the news. An instagram pic with him inside the locker room with Tom Brady. Who did he think he was sending it to? I’m guessing 80% of his followers were Steelers fans who’s heart he just broke. Not sure if he thought that one through.

I doubt it was meant to be a middle finger to the Steelers fan base but it sure came across that way.

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Did he touch on sleeping in meetings? Driving to games by himself? Not seeing Shazier in hospital with his group? Whispering in ABs ear?

No, I don't think so. Look I'm no Tomlin defender but "do what you gotta do" Sounds like somebody that has gone above and beyond to try to help JH keep his legacy in tact but nothing you can do to get thru his thick skull. All the stories of the bull**** he pulled over not getting playing time and trying to be moved. And we are suppose to feel sorry because he "delayed a signing" Which I don't even believe tbh.

This sounds like somebody that finally realizes he made a horrible decision. Rash decision Harrison lacks the ability to stop and think about the big picture. Same thing that got him in trouble in the past.

You wanted to be some badass rebel and stick it to Tomlin and the Steelers by helping the Pats tie us in Super Bowls. You made that bed and now lay in it. Here's a Participation trophy in your failed plan Traitorson.

[​IMG]

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Amazing 14 year career wasted for 4 games. What an idiot. At least he has a gym and the Cardinals in Arizona.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    @SDOT I'm not going to get into the meat of your rant and have the right to feel however you want but to answer some of your questions he did own up to his behavior. Said he walked out of practice saying he was hurt then went in the gym and was squatting 500 pounds. If he showed up on game day and he didn't have a helmet he went home because there was no reason to be there, he fully admits it wasn't the way to handle it but it was what he did. It is what it is .

• Like Like x 2
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Yet he doesn’t mention sleeping through meetings(if he showed up) and being a general jackass.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not going to defend James Harrison. I don't even know the man, none of us do. None of us know what actually transpired his last year in Pittsburgh either. We do know that he proved he still had the ability to play at a high level, but he had to go somewhere else to prove it. It's a business and both sides did what they did, right or wrong. Don't take it so personal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey groutbrook.

This is exactly the reason why, in part, I have a disdain for today's NFL and other pro sports, to a degree.... 5000 talking heads via Internet and Cable TV all about a nothing comment. I did not even click on the "Tweet" but I will reply to act as voice of reason IMO. It is the same old fluff/filler garbage that is oxygen consuming with no productive outcome. I would rather being doing aerobics for my cardiovascular. Out of all due respect "it reeled" SDOT in unfortunately. And no, it did not reel me in for again I did not read it.

This in the same box as Glazer dogging Ben for his conditioning. Great an "Oompa Loompa" towel boy who probably used to get stuffed into lockers knocking a Super Bowl Winning HOF Bound QB.

So go for it to all those that want to click on that tweet. For me, I am going to remember JH for all the positives that he contributed to Steelers. the most obvious his unforgettable pick and TD return in Super Bowl XLIII and his terrorizing of the rats. I said this before about JH and Tomlin. JH was promised work. Tomlin broke that promise. I will never turn my back on a man that just wants to work. We all know that we get a 110% all-out with JH.

I get it in part, as the Steelers were committing to Jarvis "The Bust" Jones or was it Bud "The Still Underachiever-IMO" Dupree. I actually forgot who it was but the concept remains the same. The old trying to jam a square peg into a round hole syndrome. Management was trying to see what they had with a #1 pick. I get it. Nonetheless, I say let the best player play that gives us the greatest chance to win. At that point it was JH. They did not even have to start JH just give him a few snaps here and there. That is really where Management dropped the ball. Just a few snaps here and there is all JH wanted. Again, cannot blame the man for wanting to work; especially when he was promised so.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Look guys don't kill the messenger. Dobber post a link to the podcast and I read the write up on Pennlive or DK Sports Pittsburgh. I'm not going to judge it one way or the other for people read or listen for yourself.

I find it interesting though that KC doesn't like the league or Goodell anymore than Harrison though, interesting in that ironic funny way.

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    So he admits to doing all the things reported and he still waited to sign with the Patriots when he had the opportunity? Not that it really matters but you believe that?

Yeah, we kind of do from the reports. 15 year vet was acting like a baby over playing time.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm over Harrison, I don't care what he has to say, all I remember is him with New England walking off the field a loser in the Super Bowl :lolol:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The only reports I would believe would have to come from Harrison and Tomlin sitting in a room together, agreeing on each point.
    I don't trust the word of jilted reporters or the player/players who looted Lev Bell's locker as soon as he was ineligible to return to the team.

23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    From his mouth. So I believe the reports.

24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Careers seldom end well when the player and the team have different views on where they are in their careers. I don’t really care how it ended. I would take JH career as a Steeler including the way it ended every time. What he meant between the lines and as a leader by example trumps how it all ended IMO. I understand the bitterness of some fans and some are just psychotic about it. I choose to remember what he meant to the team while he was here. He wasn’t just a great player here, he’s a huge reason why we have #6 ,the rest is just cryIng over spilled milk....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1