1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Steelers officially irrelevant?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, May 10, 2020.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Would love for Ben to bring one more home before he hangs it up. Been watching past Steelers games and Ben was a beauty on the field. I already miss him

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

LG and RT are huge question marks. RT more so than lg.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    is that for this year strummer? I think Feiler does a good job at RT, I wish they would sign him long term. We have added some players quietly to the offensive line that have made a lot of college starts and some at different positions. They are interior players that can also play center as well as guard. I just hope we get a camp to see what we have. I'm pretty excited about who we have picked up going forward. I think we are in a little better shape then first thought. We shall see my friend. :cool:

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The last I heard the plan was to move feiler to lg and let chuks and banner(?) battle it out at rt. If they don’t pan out feiler moves to RT and we’re stuck with a career backup at lg or a rookie that’s only played rg. Switching sides isn’t an impossible task, but it does take relearning/muscle memory etc. The learning curve will be that much more difficult without Ota’s, rookie minicamp, and a possible shortened training camp/preseason. As for college players that doesn’t mean anything. There are hundreds of college players with lots of starts under their belts that can’t make it in the nfl.

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Now if that happens and Ben comes in camp in decent shape, then they will be battling out with the Ravens and Chiefs and possibly Titans or Bills for AFC title. Definitely in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You could have been kind and said beat the Eagles too:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So it is a 17 game season. I really have not been keeping up with these new changes.

By the way should we sweep the Bengals and Browns you will be getting high honors from me.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He's really not a career backup. Out of 134 games he has 103 starts. Probably easier for him to move sides then Feiler to move positions and sides. The shortening of camp if it happens won't be as hard on a get as a younger guy. I expect he will get the spot early on at least. That would be the best thing to do I'd say anyway. Chuks or banner would be option two. Banner has played guard also.:cool:

9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I know it doesn't mean anything to anybody but the Steelers will never be irrelevant to me. Ever.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Mac in my opinion moving Feiler would be a mistake. If the only reason they are moving him is that there is some potential there for him to become a probowl caliber LG and they have a logjam at RT with Chucks and Banner behind him, I don't think it is worth it. I'd rather them start Wiz and have the rookie learn for a year. LG is one of the most important positions on the line in that he is the guy that watches Ben and signals the center to snap the ball at away games in a hostile environment. That means he is facing away from the guy he is blocking and has to get his head around in time to set his block. Foster had experience with this, id hate to have a guy learning not only the position but how to do this playing against defensive front that have Geno Atkins, Campbell, Garrett, Judon and others in this division. I'd rather a veteran who has the position down and can handle the other duties.

11. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You answered the three rhetorical questions. Impressive. Why not answer the one question soliciting a response? Or is it that you don't actually have an answer to the dialogue you started?

12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I agree on a personal level. But there's a difference between what's in our hearts and the product on the field. They won't ever be irrelevant to me, either. I loved them before I even knew the x's and o's. But compared to the quality of opponents and the expectation of wins vs. losses, until they take the field and answer the most important questions that plagued us last year, the product on the field is irrelevant.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Thorn, I have said from the start to leave Feiler where he is. DD should be able to handle the pre snap signal as could wis. I don't think that is a big deal for a vet lineman. If no camp I'd expect wis to start at LG.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I actually do have answers for all three. The answers themselves are not the problem here. For that matter, those answers have already been posted and stated.

No need for me to reiterate the same points over and over.

15. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Like I said. What I said means nothing to anyone and I get that. So I was expressing a personal opinion based on watching the steelers for over 50 years. Through the times we were truly bad on the field and the good times. I love this team. I do not like Tomlin as a head coach and certainly don't like the OC on this team. I have serious questions about the front office as well. But they are still my Steelers. <shrug>

16. Col.SteveAustin9768

Col.SteveAustin9768 Active Member

Apr 21, 2020
    I Don't get that either? Oh Well! Steelers play better as underdogs anyway.IF healthy,They might surprise some people.:herewego!:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I will start out by saying that the following is purely speculation, but I think too much is being made of the offensive line. Yes, they struggled last year, but I believe that had more to do with trying to learn the tendencies of not one but two QB's who were completely different from each other and more so from Ben. Hell, I struggled trying to watch them. I can only imagine what blocking for them was like. Not to mention the changes at RB. Pouncey (and the rest) get a pass from me until they prove they didn't deserve it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    What you say DOES matter. I wouldn't have responded if it didn't. I've watched them for nearly 50 years myself. Not sure where the disconnect is, because I don't disagree with you on a personal level. And I certainly agree with you regarding our HC and OC. We're on the same page, brother. :drinks:

19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You asked me a question. I posed my answer in the form of 4 questions to you, 3 of which were rhetorical and didn't need an answer. You simply said yes to the rhetorical ones. That was lazy and unnecessary. And after pointing out that you ignored the question that arose from YOUR dialogue, you ignored it once again. You said you thought that Al was the only weak spot on the offense and have no response to the other weak spots I pointed out. Why ask me my opinion on the subject and then pretend I didn't answer you while asking you to back up your position? Makes no sense.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You are incorrect.

As I said, the answers you seek have already been stated and posted. Not just in this thread. Ever since Free Agency began a couple months back, the issues you had pertaining to the Offensive Line have been addressed. This was doubled down upon in the draft. You are also ignoring the fact that Pouncey was a Pro Bowler last season; meaning he still can play at a high level.

For that matter, you already answered this question yourself. See more below;

So again, to answer your set of questions;

1.) Yes I did see a Pro Bowl level Center play.

2.) Yes I noticed Foster retiring, Stefen Wisniewski and Kevin Doston being the answers.

3.) Yes I do believe that the returning corps of Offensive Lineman can make an impact this time around; Big Ben being the biggest key.

However and, I reiterate, this has been reiterated before. Therefore, me stating this is redundant as it accomplishes nothing in terms of organic discussion in the thread. All it does is to appease your obsession of having your questions answered; pride and ego both being exuded here in the classical sense.

In short?! Your perception ≠ reality here. Context is key. Cannot just gloss over history here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Thanks, I wasn't picking a fight with you. Just wanted to explain my views a little is all

22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    This is the last year of the 16 game seasons but it is the first year of the extra playoff team in each conference.

• Informative Informative x 2
  23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I asked 4 questions. My perception/reality is that you are mathematically challenged as well as unobservant. My questions, verbatim, were as follows:

Did you watch the center play (either one) last season? Did you not notice Foster retiring? Losing Finney? Are you telling me you're sold on Al, DeCastro, Pouncey, Feiler, and Banner making holes for our backs and giving Ben time to not die?

Your first two answers addressed my first two questions. Your third answer did not address my third question.

You started the dialogue. You asked me a question. I responded with an answer and a similar question. But you didn't want to answer it because it had been discussed before. Well, why did you ask me the question to begin with? Your circular logic is ridiculous. And you are beginning to sound like one of FormerScribe's students, confusing the issues with irrelevance. I'm done with this back and forth nonsense. You feel that an aging, underperforming center, a sub-par performing tackle, and basically untested corp of linemen are satisfactory. Point taken.

24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree with you however Pouncey being a pro bowler is more to do with his name rather than skill imo. He isn’t bad, he’s just no longer great. He was kinda overrated too, but that’s just me lol. Steelers have had some good centers over the years.

I guess I’m used to the mauler centers and Pouncey is a finesse dude. I kinda see him on skates at times.

This is just my observation and in no way saying he sucks lol.

25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Sweep the East