1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bend Steel, May 6, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Macfarland and Canada were together at Maryland, so you can bet when he's in the game they will use those college concepts.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The chiefs had a bad run game due to injury. They were trying to help that situation out. They also have two of the fastest guys in the league to run it. Once their rb was back they used him in a more conventional way. Williams had a great game in the conventional fashion. The receivers went downfield where machines used them well. Anyway it's a gadget not a way to build a run game. Every team has it in their arsenal.:cool:

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The Steelers are not going to scrap what they do to run Maryland's offense. :facepalm::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Matt Canada will have no chance with Ben or Coach Randy LOL Too stuck in their ways.
    But he will make MR and 3rd string QB better, and hopefully Ben
    and Coach Randy are listening also. Canada knows the pro passing and running game
    they ran it at Pitt, James Conner broke ACC records when running it. Steelers
    hopefully will get back to running the football, which is much needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Where did I say we needed Canada to build our run game? Every team may have motions in their offense but we use it the least. It’s a gadget used to cause confusion on defense. I don’t see how that hurts especially with the predictability in our Offense. Sounds like you are down on Canada and preferred we did nothing. Chances are with Ben and RF he probably won’t have a huge impact...but he might offer up enough to make a difference here and there. He’s coming in as the QB coach, maybe something a little more. Think of him as a UDFA QB coach....that make you feel better? :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. How much input he has remains to be seen. I don’t know how anyone is down on the hire considering last year we had no one? Was there someone else who would of got people more excited? I’m optimistic about what he can bring to the table, big or small

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know if Canada is the next HC is waiting but I would be happy as heck if he was the next OC in waiting for sure. My hopes don't lie in if he has input in the offense and play calling because like many have pointed out we have Ben. I am not knocking Ben but the truth is the truth Ben is the OC and runs the offense. With that said my hope for Canada is his input with our back ups, something we didn't have last season. If Ben is healthy this will be a non factor but if Ben can't stay healthy Canada might end up being the biggest off season signing. jmo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    First off I never said I was down on the hire or he wouldn't help out. I originally said he's here for the backup qbs whomever they may be. I just simply said I think many are expecting way too much from him as a guy taking over and revamping the offense or somehow ousting RF. Acting like he's the second coming. Acting like he's on the cutting edge of football and was contending for national championships everywhere he's been. These new innovations that he will bring to the offense. I'm simply saying don't get over excited because he hasn't done that much anywhere he has been so far. If he helps our backup qbs I'll be happy.

A healthy Ben and a healthy fullback will go a long way in helping our offense. A lot more then running jet sweeps every other play. People forget RFs offenses put Memphis on the national stage. His hands were tied too last year without a fullback. With two very young and green qbs early in the season. With a brand new TE. With young receivers. Injuries. RFs first year when we had these things looked quite different. Don't be so quick to throw away what was working before the walls fell in because of inexperience not because of the system.

It's more like the guy that builds the motor in a race cars that puts out 800 horse power v8 and someone steals 4 of his spark plugs. Then a guy comes along and says I have one in my pocket you can use. Fine it will help a little bit you still ain't gonna win the race. When the original builder gets those other 3 back there will be a chance. Randy found those 3 and now can show what the motor originally had. Will the car win? Who knows but it will have a much better chance. :cool:

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah no kidding :facepalm:, they will probably have certain packages for MacFarland though.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    In Fichtner's first year he also had AB :shrug:

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think adding Canada was one of our best offseason moves...I like the Hilliard hire too, but more input for the offense game planning and refining the QB play can only bring positive results imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Haley had Ben, AB and Bell, still no super bowl. The Maryland offense had to be what they were missing. Now it makes sense. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    come on now, don't underestimate the value of a few good turtles :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sometimes you just need a little mud for your turtle.

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nobody ever said they were going to run a Maryland offense, maybe you need to learn how to read :shrug:.

17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Apparently Ben didn't agree. :shrug:

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well if that was the case....apparently Ben was wrong:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Who’s Mincah???

Of course, single biggest reason why the secondary went from last to around the tops in the league but he doesn’t get all the credit. Whole defense played great last season.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    but it has all these innovations that nobody ever thought of before. :goofy::cool:

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm:

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Quit touching your face. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I do agree he doesn't get all the credit and it is a fine line when we all start talking the roles coaches play. However there was a major difference before and after ........MINKAH(sorry forgot this was English class). I just hope we don't have to find out if Canada is good or bad at his job, otherwise our season could be over.........

• Agree Agree x 1