1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Back to back HORRIBLE drafts. Tomlins infatuation with DMV players.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 26, 2020.

1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    it’s called a dog whistle

2. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I would tend to agree with SDOT

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SDOT.

Your Quote: "Why are we still drafting players from that area????"
    Because SDOT Tomlin has limited vision for talent.

Yes, he has hit on a few. However, and again, when you are 0-14 for secondary personnel under your watch and your background is in that area, I have a major concern. Maybe 1-14. I am being generous with Keenan Lewis. I went through this with another poster specifically about the secondary background. I did extensive research to prove my point. Dug all the way into his apprenticeships. Guess what? As typical with those here that spout off here with no research, there was no rebuttal. I shall leave the guilty nameless for:
    • I am not a "I told you so person".
    • I have respect for those who do their research here.
    • It would only lead to more wasted oxygen, on my part.
    • I am not here to get into "power plays".

Tomlin has some very good attributes. However he lacks:
    • Sound Xs and Os abilities.
    • Broad vision for talent.
    • Management/Development of talent.
    • Mediocre "Situational Football" abilities.

As far as his positives:
    • He is a good motivator.
    • He has the respect of the majority of his players.
    • Is a good disciplinarian.
    • Excellent at keeping the team together during adversity.
    There, a little something for everyone. I guess I have come to the realization that there is no "Perfect Coach". Yes, it has been brought up many times here: "If not Tomlin than who?" I have been candid in answering: "I honestly would not know". Given that, I feel that we should have a few more rings with the talent that we have had the past eight years or so; ESPECIALLY on the "O" side of he ball. I truly believe that if we had a strong "O" minded Head Coach that happens. With Ben, Bell, Brown, AB, Martavis, McDonald, James and others. this is unacceptable and as I say around here, Disgusting.

The sad part is that Tomlin has not really shown a forte on either side of the ball. Cowher had great defenses and was able to get the most out of them. As soon as he got the missing piece (a franchise QB, Ben) then it all came together within two years. Tomlin on the other hand has had great Offenses and has produced nothing! And for a guy who is suppose to be Defensive-Minded he has produced not much of anything either until we started grabbing other teams players. Look at how many #1s we had/have on our defense and still were not producing. it seemed that adding one more #1, by the name of Minkah, we finally got over the top. Do not get me wrong folks, I am elated where our "D" is. However, with this many #1s minus Minkah we should have already been a top-notch "D".

Given that, and again admitting I do not who, I do think it is a time for change at HC. However, we are where we are. I really think that we have a very, very good "O". We are actually stacked contrary to what some here may think. IF Ben returns, and there are no setbacks, we really should be in the thick of Super Bowl conversations. IF Ben returns, and there are no setbacks, Tomlin has no excuses whatsoever to not bring home another ring and I mean this upcoming season, now!

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Quilt by association

5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I agree with this 100% Play to your strengths. Let the scouts and Colbert handle the draft. You can see the draft decisions he has his hands all over and they've been bad.

6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Back in the Cowher days I always suspected Colbert was essentially Cowher's lapdog, getting what Bill wanted. Because of that he probably gives MT too much input.

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I mean I get it. Coaches want players they want to coach. But... Cortez Allen, Sean Davis, Edmunds, Rudolph, etc. When does it end? Most of us agree on Tomlin's strengths and weaknesses. Most of us agree X&O's isn't his thing so maybe he should be a passenger for the draft. I mean we drafted the only two players from a program. It's either laziness or brilliance. I guess we will find out soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    a really bad division 1 program as well. I don't get this either

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    ok I'll have to look that up

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member