1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Steelers officially irrelevant?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, May 10, 2020.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Every year I would see us as a SB favorite but checking the odds we weren’t even mentioned. Analysts not looking our way at all.

I saw Ravens, chiefs, cowboys, Tampa bay(lol) Green Bay, San Fran.

cowboys were 8-8 just like us and they had a starting qb. We almost made the playoffs with no offense at all.

Ben is back, added a tall receiver, ebron to compliment Vance, washington/dionte more experienced etc.

I don’t get it?? Some analyst said Steelers were one of the most complete teams after picking up our free agents but after the draft Steelers no longer exist.

I know it doesn’t matter but is there something I’m missing? Ben back, elite defense, offensive weapons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s the Ben factor which is a big question mark

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree on the Ben factor, I think it's 50 - 50 chance of everything going right for Ben, including coming into the season in shape, and being sharp in the get go. Including arm strength, accuracy, and going thru the season injury free. This offense is still designed around Ben and there are a lot of ifs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Ok but let’s say Ben is healthy the whole year and has increased arm strength?

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think analysts are cautious about putting the Steelers up there among the favourites because there are too many unknowns with the team. They are the definition of boom or bust.

Ben is by far the biggest question mark, you then have Juju, Conner and Ebron who need to be big parts of the team coming off poor 2019 seasons, and a couple of younger receivers who have yet to prove themselves. If it all comes together they could be contenders but it could easily go the other way as well.

Another reason may be the division, the AFC North is absolutely loaded, we know what the Ravens are and both the Browns and Bengals have improved a lot on paper. It could be a very tough division, and therefore difficult to get a 1-2 seeding that is very likely needed to go all the way.

Going in to 2020 I really don’t know what to expect, 6-10 or 12-4 would not surprise me one bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree about that range lol 6-10 or 12-4.

If this team goes 6-10 it’s because Ben got hurt again or the defense regressed

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We like the underdawg ranking. The talking heads always go for the new flavor of the month. They are always up the cowboys, tomtoms azzes. Now they have mahomes and the track star in Baltimore azzes to crawl up as well. We have lost a lot and gained a little so until they prove they are more then 8-8 we won't get any recognition. It like Missouri, show me. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I wonder what the odds are of the Steelers having a non-losing season?

• Like Like x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Isn’t that the goal?;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Well Mike T wants that extension, so has to go at least 8-8.

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    That's a huge IF. This dude doesn't like to workout. I can't imagine how "rehabbing" is going. Biggest thing he's done is went Keto last off-season and he lasted one game.

Our season comes down to Ben. If he returns to form then we probably squeak into playoffs with new format and get bounced in 1-2 games. No Ben and we have to watch Mason Jagoff and Duck stink it up again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Are we irrelevant? Kind of. But at least we aren't media clowns anymore. Still a top 5 draw in the league. Maybe weed out some of the fake fans. But I don't think majority of our fans are fake. We haven't won anything in a decade and still take stadiums over.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    As for our division I have us 3rd and it would be 4th but the Bengals need a year to develop the great draft they had.

I am one of the few that think Ben is done. Man do I hope to hear how wrong I am come December.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We can challenge ravens for the division if Ben is healthy. Ohio teams will never be good lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m as surprised as that cat. LOL.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If Ben stays healthy we’re a top 3 or 4 team in the AFC, and a legit contenders. If he goes down again, then we’re probably in .500 mode again because we didn’t do anything to improve the backup QB position.

I’m less concerned about the Steelers being relevant than I am about whether the NFL is relevant this fall.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The NFL power rankings have us at #11. That would make us around the 6th seed which is about right.

• Like Like x 3
  18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    With a healthy Ben I can see us as 3rd best afc team.

chiefs
    Ravens
    Steelers
    Titans
    Texans
    Colts

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would replace the Texans with the Bills, I think Buffalo wins the AFC East

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben said he has been working out with a personal trainer this offseason, stop listening to the national media, they don't know what they're talking about.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Cant disagree with this.

We’re not a shiny new squad and we had no shiny number one draft pick, so we’ve slipped off the radar.

And that’s no bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    They've realized that Tomlin is Steelers coach.

And for some reason they think Mike McCarthy is magically going to transform into something he never was.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ben says a lot of thing. I don't listen to the media regarding the Steelers. I have 15 years of Ben's off season work to speculate.

24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think our defense will be even better this year. Especially with Bush going into his 2nd year.

If we have a top 10-15 offense(which is entirely reasonable if Ben is healthy) to go along with the defense, then making the playoffs would be likely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Don't you mean February?

• Like Like x 1