1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Paxon Lynch the Future

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DBoyZ Mike, May 9, 2020.

1. DBoyZ Mike

DBoyZ Mike Member

May 9, 2020
    I here all the Talk about Bens Replacement!
    Paxon Lynch was a early 1st Round Pick.
    Has Size, Arm Strength, is a few more years ready but still young enough to have 10-12 years as a starter!... Why Keep looking or talking draft.... What are the chances of him leaning Under Ben?
    Not sure if Mason can ever take over but now U have a 1st Rounder n 3rd rounder competition for #2 and Future QB

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. DBoyZ Mike

DBoyZ Mike Member

May 9, 2020
    *learning Under Ben

Hopefully BEN has 2 more GOOD Years in him!

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Lynch was an epic bust, he must have some talent but there must also be issues that held him back. I have heard rumours along the lines of poor work ethic and preparation, couldn’t learn the playbook etc, but none of us know for sure. if there was anything to salvage Denver would not have cut ties so quickly imo. We should also note that the Steelers never put him in in 2019, not even when things were unbearably bad towards the end with Duck.

I have thought for a while that the Steelers should trade for Rosen and let him battle it out with Mason Rudolph over the next two years for the job once Ben leaves. Rosen would be dirt cheap and has a fifth year option that they could exercise if needed, keeping him on board for at least one year after Ben is gone. You’d probably get him for a fourth round pick, and they are probably due a compensatory fourth for Hargrave so they can afford it.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Trading for Rosen would be like buying a lottery ticket. Huge upside, but unlikely to pay off. I’d consider him with a 5th; maybe a 4th.

5. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Rosen won’t turn out, he was overrated coming out of UCLA. Lynch isn’t the answer either. don’t be surprised if Wentz comes on the market.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Paxton Lynch has some allusions to Tommy Maddox in terms of what they had to go through to get back onto an NFL Field. Granted, Tommy Maddox bounced around quite a bit until actually becoming an NFL Starting QB; his XFL experience being by far his best one. That said, Paxton Lynch has tools that Tommy Maddox could only dream of.

Within that same vein, Paxton Lynch also needs some time of his own as getting cut multiple times is clearly indicating two things. One, he simply is not a fit for that Offensive System. More importantly though, two, Paxton has not shown enough effort to warrant him a spot on an NFL Team.

Either way, this is it for him. I do wish him all the best in what is to be likely his final NFL Opportunity as I doubt he receives another. He has the all the arm talent and athletic talent one would want in this new era of Mobile QB play. In addition, Mobile QB play is Matt Canada's specialty. It is all up to him now.

All this said, to say he is the answer?! Way too early to tell. More information is needed here.

7. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Id agree. I would not give up anything significant for him. He is a project at this stage. That said, PFF have an article on him that goes through stats on his year in Arz, his offensive line was so bad it’s crazy, but on the rare occasion that they gave him a clean pocket he was quite good.

He is probably a better long term bet than Duck or Lynch in any case and certainly worth a flier if he is available for a fourth / fifth.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Never mind that though. Tomlin likes familiarity with NFL Players he has had interactions with. Tomlin nor Colbert did not show up for UCLA's Pro Day back in 2018.

Not just a lottery ticket in terms of simply acquiring Josh Rosen though. Trading for a player that Tomlin has had zero interaction with would be the equivalent of playing the mega million lottery. Way too risky for any draft pick in my opinion and never mind a 5th.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    MT said he didn't play because he got here late. Even flacco struggled in Denver. He is not as bad as he played out there. There is trouble in Denver and hopefully he cares better here without pressure on him immediately. If they have a camp this year we will see but since we have so many new parts of not, it's going to hurt this team. Bush needs it. Ben needs it. Lynch needs it. The rookies need it. The line needs it. Both of them. The wrs need it with ben. Ebron needs it. Without it the dupree move won't give us that big all in year with ben minus everything else. :cool:

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    and by early first round you mean late first round?

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought it was forbidden here to talk positive about Mason Rudolph or Paxton Lynch.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That is a fair point, but they did trade a fifth last year for a half season of Nick Vannett. I’m not sure how much they had scouted him but it turned out to be quite a wasteful transaction.

Rosen was not a realistic target for the Steelers in 2017, Tomlin had no reason to attend his pro day at that point so that part wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. They have enough tape on him to decide whether he makes their QB room better or not.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Nick Vannett played for Ohio State. Tomlin and/or Colbert attend that program annually. For that matter, Mike Tomlin was in attendance during Nick's 2016 Pro Day Workout.

Regarding your second point though, I respectfully disagree. If simply observing Rosen from afar was all that was needed for a final verdict, given what the Steelers were going through during their 2019 Campaign, never mind just Minkah Fitzpatrick. Pittsburgh should have inquired for Josh Rosen as well if Tomlin believed that Rosen would have been a better option than Mason. That would have spoken volumes about what the team not only thinks about Mason Rudolphh but who they believe their successor is. This simply was not the case. Not because Josh Rosen was overwhelmed.

Tomlin simply did not have any sort or form of contact with Josh Rosen at any point from 2018 to the current day. Again, familiarity is key. Sometimes this is beneficial and sometimes not. However, more often than not in Tomlin's tenure, familiarity has turned out to be pretty good.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For some it is. For me?! Not at all.

I like both players personally. I have more faith in Mason given the turmoil he faced last season. Now, armed with an actual QB Coach who adheres to the fundamentals, basics and principles of playing the position, Mason is in better standing this time around. For Paxton, now he has a Coach who will work with him as opposed against him. That said, it is all up to Paxton to decide what he wants.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Lynch was signed in September and by the end of December Tomlin still wasn't comfortable putting him in a game. That says a lot about his inability to learn the playbook which was one of the reasons the Broncos gave up on him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Rosen was Miami’s starter when they traded for Minkah and even when he was benched he became their primary backup and was therefore very unlikely to be available for trade so I think that’s a moot point. They have Tua now which is a pretty big change of circumstances for Josh Rosen and Miami.

Look, I’m not sold on Rosen either but I do know he is a massive upgrade over Duck in virtually every department, that’s indisputable. I don’t know what is going on with Lynch but it worries me that they didn’t trust him with a single snap last season despite having the worst QB situation in the league by a distance. It was completely unbearable watching Duck towards the end of the season and they still wouldn’t put Lynch in.

Under the circumstances I don’t think trading a late pick for a guy with a first round pedigree who has up to three years left on a cost controlled rookie deal is overly risky. If there is even a small chance that he can develop in to a starter then I see no reason not to kick the tyres.

If the team simply doesn’t rate him at all then fair enough.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am not stating any of this is incorrect in any form. I myself would also like to see what a former Top 15 pick can do. However, here is where me and you have to agree to disagree; Mike Tomlin and familiarity.

Mike Tomlin has a penchant for obtaining players he has met formally. This goes back to even the days of his Rookie Year as a Coach where Mike Tomlin brought the house to Florida State's Pro Day for Lawrence Timmons. Since then, Tomlin has not strayed away from this path; for better or worse.

Overall, I am not the one who would not be interested to bring forth Josh Rosen. That is solely Mike Tomlin as he has had little to no interactions with Rosen as far as we know. Therefore, for Tomlin to trade for someone he does not know in Rosen is the equivalent of hiring a Accountant for a job as a CEO.

18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t disagree on the familiarity angle at all, your point is well made.

I suppose what worries me is a repeat of last season where Ben goes down and Mason follows, that happened twice last year. I don’t trust Duck or Lynch whatsoever and would like a better option. Then again, we could never be that unlucky with injuries again surely.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Regarding Paxton Lynch, I say give him a chance. Keep in mind that, by all accounts, this is another new beginning for him. Mike Tomlin is not someone who will just give up on a player after just merely one season. For that matter, doubly so since Mike Tomlin was the one that not only brought him in but was at his Pro Day back in 2016. Add the fact that Matt Canada will be working with him and I like Paxton's chances to stay on the roster than most.

Paxton's play style fits with what Matt Canada wants from his QB's. Paxton just needs some stability and coaching. Canada can provide both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree, not for or against either at this point, and for that matter draft status means little for either of them. In spite of the virus crap (which provides little or no physical interaction and preparation), this is the year both need to step up and grab the opportunity..or likely be gone from any serious discussion in the future.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Agreed, IMO the league would be doing the Steelers a favor if then canceled the HOF game (if the season even starts at all). More time in camp is much more valuable than trying to prepare for a meaningless 5th preseason game.

22. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I’d trade a fourth for Rosen in a heartbeat. Fourth rounders make NFL rosters at roughly the same frequency as free agents, maybe less. So loss of a fourth round pick is quite replaceable. He played behind an abysmal oline in Arizona, the triple clone of Johnny Unitas would not have done much better. I don't know about Miami. Its a gamble with house money to get Rosen, especially with that rookie contract. Heard whispers before the draft that he was another disruptive locker room guy, like a second Manziel, but that part does not seem to be true afaik.

Wonder if Bellicheater is thinking about Rosen?

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Severely doubt Bill is interested in bringing someone of Rosen's "Street Cred" into New England. Besides, Bill Belichick is HELLBENT on proving to the rest of the NFL that he can win with any QB... no matter who they are. Whether or not Jarrett Stidham, "Stid" as Bill calls him, is the guy in New England is yet to be determined.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If you can't find your way on the field competing against a deer and duck, then you suck. Plain and simple.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I had never heard about him being anything close to a Manziel-like disrupter, just a guy who is a little bit more outspoken and opinionated than a lot of people were comfortable with. His former head coach from UCLA called him a franchise QB who would set the world on fire, but also called him a millennial with interests outside of football and appeared to indicate annoyance with Rosen always wanting to know “why” instead of just doing what he was told. I don’t know whether he was a good locker room guy or not, but he can sure as hell throw the football. His arm talent and accuracy are head and shoulders better than Rudolph. When someone is in a bad situation, getting pressured and sacked left and right 2 seconds after the snap all day long, it’s hard to evaluate him. He can make every throw, and absolutely wow you, but he can also take unnecessary chances and make the most boneheaded turnovers. I think he has a legit chance to be great, but I don’t think it’s likely to happen. He’s worth a late round pick IMO to see if he can put it together.

• Agree Agree x 1