1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Steelers Schedule

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 7, 2020.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    No.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Dallas has a great offense but they were stifled by philly, patriots, saints, Buffalo. 11 point average in those losses.

kinda like killer B era lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    One vote for scoring less points.

Im missing the logic here.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    With a coach who knows when and how to use the 2 point conversion to his team's advantage, absolutely.
    With Tomlin...No.

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey groutbrook.

Tomlin is unbelievable in regards to "following his gut" which he claims to do a lot of instead of analyzing data and making sound decisions based on research. The 2-Point world usually balances itself out. Leave it alone for the most part unless we are applying "situational football" which he so emphatically likes to talk about so much. Again, I really have to question his "coaching strengths" and what he brings to the table.

The following, I always stated here and still stand behind. I was in the Tomlin camp for his first five years. He really impressed me when he took matters into his own hands and suspended Santonio Holmes for the Giants game during our Super Bowl XLIII victory season. I bring this point up quite often during football conversations here and outside The Board. I loved that move. He did not kick the can down the road per se like most teams would do. Stating: "We will let the league handle it and allow due process play itself out". What a crock. These teams would not dare take the bull by the horns and handle discipline in-house in addition to whatever the league may do. The Steelers are best at this. Not perfect but the best. Well, we know how that season turned out. And still, IMO, the catch that he made to solidify the win in Super Bowl XLIII WAS the Greatest Catch in all of NFL History. Not just Super Bowls. Hands-Down!

What a shame. Him AB, Bell and Martavis. All wasted and nothing to show for it except some great statistics and highlight reels. At least Holmes did get a ring. However, he could have had more. Even given that, like the other three I mentioned, All four had very good chances at the HOF. Even Martavis from what I witnessed in the short time that he was with us. You know AB may still make it even if he never plays again. His statistics over those last five years with us are incredible. Man oh Man. What could have been.

Back to Tomlin. Yes, his record speaks volumes in regards to wins and losses. However, with the talent that we hand under him, especially with Brown, Bell and Bryant we should have had several more rings. On paper we were unstoppable. After a while I was so sick about hearing that we can score 30+ points a game. Yet, rarely did that occur. Our Offense was loaded! What a mismanaging of talent! Just disgusting.

You see what Cowher did with Ben in just two years! 15-1 in Year #1 and a Super Bowl victory in Year #2. Unfortunately, it ended after year three. And please no one give me that baloney about what happened there. Very simple as I have stated before. Year #3: Ben's motorcycle accident and emergency appendicitis operation. This would take a toll on the average man's body. Now compound that with 300+ pound gorillas chasing you around and trying to bury you into the ground. We started the season off at 2-6 and finished 6-2. The second half of the season was remarkable in the sense that Ben played that well. He probably started to feel some sense of normalcy again. However, too little to late. Nonetheless, for the blind Tomlin Loyalists they never look at the medical factors that Ben had to deal with.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Cowboy game that he is talking about is the one in which the Steelers went 0 for 4 in two point conversions. It is the only game in NFL history that a team failed in 4 attempts to get a 2 point conversion.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    13-3. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't win a Super Bowl just because you have a lot of talent on offense, you need a balanced team.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  10. Bacarty2

Bacarty2 Active Member

Oct 29, 2018
    I think Lamar jackson is a fraud and will fall on his face just like the majority of running quarterbacks.
    I think that answers your question

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Momma got us our tix to the Watt bowl... Hoping we actually are allowed to partake.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Being that he is brand new to the team, are you thinking they really won’t give him any reps? I see that with a veteran team with no changes to the scheme.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He got reps even when with NE in a system he completely knew. He’ll play in Tampas preseason. He’ll probably demand it.

14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey jeh1856

I have a soft spot for Martavis. I really do miss him. Another one with a rotten social circle. I believe it was his girlfriend at the time giving him poor advice. IMO, the man had HOF potential. Unfortunately he fell to the same fate as Santonio, AB and Bell. World of ability only to have it cut short. Not sure where is these days. I talked about him a month ago. I would be willing to bring him for a look if it was allowable with him. Veteran minimum if it pans out with some incentives.

When he was here we were loaded on the "O" side of the ball. I did not have a care in the World. Then that all changed fast. Given that, I really like what we have on the "O". The WR position is no exception. They just had their growth stunted to poor QB play and injuries last season. If Ben is back, I personally think they are going to cause some major headaches for the opposition. Now add Claypool in with McDonald and Ebron plus someone pass-catching out of the back-field. Conner, Samuels maybe Whyte with his speed. That is a terrific pass catching group.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wish I could be that positive about the offense. There's too many question marks to be comfortable. The defense should be damn good if Tuitt and Heyward can stay healthy. I have a bad feeling it's going to be like the late 90's again....stagnant offense.

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben will be feast or famine, I don't see stagnant offense unless Rudolph has to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    If training camp and everything like that isn't open with the same amount of time as usual he will probably play.

18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey HeinzMustard.

I am sorry that you do not share my optimism regarding the “O”. Let’s analyze a bit (smile).

First, the overarching review. I think that the skilled-position players are in place. Really! Given that, what held them back last year were two key factors. Very simple.

• Poor QB play.
    • The starting 11 on the Offense never really played together at any given time except maybe once or twice all season long. Have to build chemistry.
    • Combine the two above equals "Not Good".

WRs

You can see, or least I can see the talent there. JuJu we know what we have. He has to get used to life after AB. Washington was starting to live up to his billing in College. I was really hoping though that he and his Battery Mate of Mason would have produced like in College. Deonate. Just a rookie but also showed flashes of being very good. Now, throw in Claypool. I see these four as being can be very good in mix-matches or four-wide.

TEs

Now add in McDonald and Ebron on top of those four receivers. I say just wow! Vance is very good and Ebron just has not been in the right environment. A change of scenery will do him well, IMO. He is a #1 and although I know they do not always pan out, again, I think in our system with a good QB throwing him the ball he is going to respond very nicely.

RBs

It is up to Conner to come through. As I have stated numerous times here, and it is just speculation because I am not a doctor, but I think that those Cancer treatments, again IMO, just weakened his body to hold up to the daily grind of NFL life. He should be healthier with another year removed from that poison and pounding. Good to go. The man has a true internal drive. Not the old proverbial “Chip on my Shoulder” BS that many spew out of convenience sakes to, IMO, psyche their own selves up. Oh! I really detest the "Chip" card. Too overused and not applicable to most people's claim to it.

Oh, I was taken in the 2nd Round. I have a chip.
    Oh, I did not play that well last season. I have a chip.
    Oh, they say I am over the hill. I have a chip.
    Oh, I should have been the MVP. I have a chip.

STFU and just play. Hey this is just me. Don't say it. Do it!

Anyway back to the topic at hand.

Look at the rest of the RBs. I love Whyte because of his speed. 10.5 seconds for the 100 meter dash. I will tell you as a Track & Field Coach that is blazin’. I want to see him on kick-off and punt returns provided he has the hands. Samuels another receiver in a sense. Excellent hands. Snell, power-house. The Maryland guy, I do not know his name we shall see. Edmunds, forget it. He provides no value.

O-Line

Very simple, just rebound from a fluke year. I think Ben’s departure took the wind out of their sails unfortunately. IMO, you do not drop off that fast from being stellar the year before.

So Heinz, I hope my analysis provides you a bit of relief. If nothing else I am convincing myself (smile). Seriously though. I do like where our “O” stands as I have broken it down from my vantage point. HOWEVER, the biggest elephant in the room is Ben. No Ben, most likely a repeat of last season’s movie.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with most of what you're saying, but 2018 was far from "stellar." We missed the playoffs and lost to some dreadful teams that we had no business losing to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey HeinzMustard.

I just keep thinking about Faneca's comments when Maddox went down, enter Ben. Well, we know how that turned out. However, Faneca's initial Negative Nelly comments remind me in a way of throwing in the towel. Maybe that is what the O-Line did when Ben went down last season? IDK. Maybe I am grasping at that. If that was the case it was both unacceptable and unprofessional. Nonetheless, we move forward. I am looking at this with more than a half-full glass. That is me. I really think we have the O" pieces in place but they have to gel. It will not be easy because of the lack of OTAs and other practice formats, getting familiar with one another. A.K.A. developing chemistry. If they are interested they will. This is with whomever is at QB. Once again, I really wish we made a harder play for Dalton. We are still in the same boat as last season even before Ben went down. If he has any setbacks at all, I do not have a world of confidence in any of our back-ups.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The 2018 defense wasn't good though, the Steelers defense of 2020 will give Ben and the offense more opportunities to score, he also has 2 new redzone targets in Ebron, Claypool.