1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bend Steel, May 6, 2020.

1. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    First, I apologize if I missed one already started. I did look first. Now to the point. I am excited about this addition and I have done a bunch of internet snooping about him. I agree with everyone here that he is the post Ben heir apparent to OC. For me, even being clairvoyantly challenged, that is a slam dunk. As I look at his body of work more and more, I think(hope) the deeper Rooney thinking is that this might also be the heir, not so apparent to some, for the next HC for our beloved Steelers. I cannot explain why, but I just have some gut feeling about the scenario here. I am not even remotely an NFL expert, but I am 57 and have seen every superbowl and rarely miss any Steeler game. I have missed viewing maybe 10 Steeler games in my "career". That goes back to about 1974. I figure this guy at least deserves his own thread.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have never been the team to peak, tank, rebuild then peak again 10 years later. They tend to stay consistently at or near the top of the division for decades. I am hoping that the Rooneys are smart and are building a slow rolling transition of "out with the old and in with the new" as opposed to the oft seen "blow the team up this year and then maybe we get it together in 5 years" philosophy.

In todays NFL, I am not sure how closely we can stick to old school Steeler blue collar smash mouth football. Mental attitude? Yup, but the game is changing and we need to keep pace. Bright, new technical minds are the future. I for one am hoping for and anticipating great things from Matt in the next several years. I hope it is with our Pittsburgh Steelers!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Who gets credit for wanting & hiring Canada?
    You know @AskQuestionsLater ? Is he a Tomlin guy? A Rooney guy?

3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I hope you're right, Bend. Being an "old" school guy myself, I'm of the 6 feet and a cloud of dust mentality. I'm always yacking about it all starting in the trenches and that the team only goes as far as the line takes them. Skilled positions are flashy and exciting and always have the potential to change a game's direction. But more times than not, it's the OL and DL that put the game in the position to be changed.

...but...

Times have changed. Us old fogeys hang on to the past as long as we can...too long at times. It's a young man's game. Hopefully, the Steelers can embrace the changes and get some coaches ready to handle today's NFL and move us into the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Excited to see what he can do, albeit I don’t know what his role specifically is. I know he is supposedly the QB coach but you’d have to imagine that he will have a broader role. They could certainly use a sprinkling of creativity in that offence and somebody with new ideas. They have the personnel to cause a lot of mismatches and favourable situations imo, just need a bit of luck with injuries this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m gonna guess he’s a Rooney guy. I think they were ignorant for not bringing in a QB coach last year. They likely gambled on Ben staying healthy and not needing Fichtner’s full attention as OC. It made no sense at the beginning and made even less sense when things went South with Ben. The foolish part is they know Canada well and he was sitting out there unemployed. Why not bring him in? Cheap? Arrogant they didn’t need one? Usually Rooney seems to give MT and KC enough rope to hang them selves and than reacts to the things that went wrong and offers his suggestions for the next season. To me this seems like another one of those times. As I have stated before this current staff seems to be more reactive than proactive in their decision making.

• Like Like x 2
  6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    MT has hinted that Canada will have some input on the offense.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Likely a combination of all three between Tomlin, Colbert and Art Rooney II. Keep in mind that Tomlin has payed close attention to the collegiate game long before Matt Canada entered the fray. Remember that Shaun Starrett was the Offensive Assistant at Duke prior to stepping into the NFL; no prior background at the game doubly so. Eddie Faulkner and Tom Bradley were also College Hires who never had NFL Experience as well.

Matt Canada seems to be the biggest splash since Tom Bradley in terms of generating interest though. Both have the mindset of sticklers who adhere to the basics, principles and fundamentals of the positions they coach. The major difference of course is that Matt Canada is believed to be the final piece for Mason Rudolph.

Time will tell of course but if Mason Rudolph is not the guy, 2021 could provide greater clarity as to who is. Mind you that Canada operates best with mobile QBs and not dual threat ones. Jamie Newman from the University of Georgia will be someone to watch.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think it was Duck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    When coaching hires get this much discussion, you know it has been a very long off season.

10. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    While I generally agree, it seems that lately there has as much or more unhappiness with coaches and their performance, as unhappiness about players and their performance. This team has had a coaches **** show for a hot minute now. I probably am overly optimistic.

11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ben drives the Bus...If Ben doesn't like Canada " And he's been known to not like certain people and be stubborn " It's not gonna matter

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I should have put my post in green as sarcasm. A change in coaches on our D last year (and the addition of Minkah) made some outstanding difference, hoping the O can have the same affect.

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I certainly hope so because there are 37 million of us to call in the plays :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He was very successful as Pitt OC, Steelers and Pitt practice in the same building
    they had lots of time to observe Matt Canada.Pitt did not / still doesn't have a strong offensive team the years he coached there and he made the players better than what they were.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah and they observed him doing nothing last year. Would of been nice for him to have last year under his belt going in this year especially. Proactive > reactive. Oh wait is that hindsight? Considering I was one of if not the first one complaining about not having a QB coach last year.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think many are expecting way too much from him. I just don't see that strong of a resume. We have a ton of young coaches on offense without much NFL experience of top success anywhere. :cool:

17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Canada can probably bring some fresh ideas to the offense, bring in some of those college concepts, especially with a guy like MacFarland on the team. Tomlin has already said Canada will have some input on the offense, not just a QB coach.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this ain't college and we have ben, not some young mobile read option qb. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't some young read option QB to run jet sweeps, and more pre-snap motion :facepalm:.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's ground breaking stuff.:facepalm::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    For us it is. We don’t do it....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    check out the Bengals game. They do run it but less then any team. Prior to 2019 we were rushing at a 4.2 hard per carry clip with 16 tds and threw for over 5000 yards. The rams do it by far more then any team and I mean by far and that started in 2018 for them because they were 32nd in rushing. How did it help them last year? The cowboys run it a lot too. How was their playoff run last year? :cool:

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I doubt the Steelers Offense will be full on ACC/SEC Offensive Style in any sense. Matt Canada will input new ideas but the team will mainly run RPO concepts; three Wide Receiver sets being the mainstay. It is when the team gets in some running plays and/or Goal Line ones that I expect Matt Canada's ideas to come into the fold in some form or fashion. Matt Canada for that matter actually ran a very balanced out Offense during his years in the NCAA FBS I World; 52% of all his plays were based on the pass compared to 48% based on the run. Not as out of bounds overall.

Keep in mind that team's that had Matt Canada as an Offensive Coordinator averaged roughly 35 Points Per Game annually during his time at Indiana, NIU, Wisconsin, NC State, Pitt,LSU and Maryland. That is impressive given the different styles of personnel Matt had to deal with. For that matter, at the very least, that shows me that Matt Canada is going to place his players into winnable situations. In addition, this also tells me that Canada makes it a point to tactically seek out any defensive shortcomings his opposition may have, seize that opportunity and see to it that he stays a step ahead.

For that matter, this offense REALLY could use some balance after seeing what happened in 2019. For that matter, this Offense desperately needs someone who finds new ways to place his players into winnable situations. Simply attempting to fit a the proverbial square peg into the round role in the form of Randy Fitchner is one of many reasons this Offense was so horrible to begin with; trust being another big issue.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok so my point is we don’t do it. 1 game isn’t groundbreaking. The Chiefs run it a lot. Tell me how their playoff run was last year? It’s not the be all end all but when a team that isn’t known for it incorporates it more it’s something for the opposition to plan for. I for one am looking forward to modernizing the offense especially compared to Fichtner. You can be a party pooper;)

• Like Like x 1