1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben 2nd on odds for comeback player of the year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 6, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Gronk is first, then Ben, then JJ Watts, then AJ Green, AB and Myles Garret

I think it will be Ben, just the nature of the position with so much opportunity to affect the game gives him the edge.

I think Gronk will definitely make some noise but a lot will depend on Brady. People just outright ignoring this dude will be 43 before the season starts.

https://triblive.com/sports/first-c...ben-roethlisberger-isnt-favored-guess-who-is/

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    That's quite a list.

I don't think AB is coming back, so he's out.

Myles Garrett is intriguing, he could have a monster year if his heads on straight. There've been quite a lot of stories about how the 'incident' might have lasting impact on Mason Rudolph. It might well have lasting impact on Myles too.

When Gronk retired, it looked to me like his body had broken down. With a year off, he probably feels good, but I think he'll struggle as the season wears on. And at 43, I can't imagine Brady having much of a year. In the entire history of the NFL, the total number of TDs thrown by all QBs 43 and older is 10. If Brady throws 20 TDs, that would be both. a) an insane accomplishment at his age and b) a pedestrian season by league standards.

As for the rest, it will be interesting to see who can stay healthy. Maybe one of the three can play anything like a full season. If Ben plays 12 games, throws 25 TDs and keeps Ints under 13, he'll have had a decent season. Can't imagine him lasting long if tries to throw 40 times a game. But I'll bet he tries to.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding the Myles Incident, the impact will be immense for both players. Beyond that though, it is possible that Myles Garrett is a dark horse DPOY Candidate as he was in the running last season. Assuming he has his head on straight, he has a chance to win the DPOY and possibly be in the running for CPOY.

Gronk I am not paying any attention to. Has nothing to do with Brady either. Gronk was beat up beyond belief in 2018 and took the year off. Given his extensive injury history and his own stories of the pain he went through after the Patriots won their Super Bowl in 2018, I doubt we are seeing Gronk at peak levels here. Granted, Grant at 75% would still be an issue but not impossible as it was before.

AB I am ruling out. He will be on the exempt list if a team signs him. He has to clear those legal issues first.

Ben isn't as foolproof either here. He did not have Tommy John Surgery but a surgery to his throwing elbow, at his age, is nothing to scoff at. Yes he will have more down time but how will he look?! Again, like Gronk, 75% Ben is still an issue but not an impossible task to take on.

J.J. Watt could win it but he has to stay healthy for a full 16 game slate. If he can do that, the award could be as good as his. Big if though.

As asinine as this will sound, my vote goes to Myles Garrett. He was in the running for DPOY last season before he went haywire. Could he go haywire yet again?! It is possible for sure. However, does he have the talent to win CPOY assuming he does not?! Most definitely.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Garrett has a new coach every year, could hurt his chances.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Kevin Stephanski is mainly for Baker Mayfield. I doubt he touches the defense to begin with. Defensive Coordinator though is different. Steve Wilks returns so there will not be much turnover.

6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Should be no chance in Hell Garret gets it after the suspension but the league does hate the Steelers.
    AB isn't coming back.
    Green has a rookie throwing to him.
    Gronk gets hurt and is one of 3 useful TEs with a 43 year old QB.

So, Ben or JJ to me, with odds going to the guy who can actually stay relatively healthy, not that either usually do.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I always thought "comeback" was for injured players. Not someone who went on vacation for a year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Matt Stafford won it once having missed no significant time the previous year. The award is a bit of a farce.

I like Ben for this all the same if he can stay on the field. I don’t expect Gronk to be a huge factor in Tampa, he should still be very dangerous on third down but I think his snaps will be limited. He looked slow and beat up his last year in NE

9. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Gronk, no. He was on the decline with injuries/age. He needs a "Patriot" Brady throwing to him. Brady is on the decline and is in a new system. Neither of them scare me in the slightest.

JJ Watt just can't stay healthy. He's no more a lock at a complete season than James Conner.

AJ Green plays for the Bengals. Nuff said.

To me, it's down to Ben and Garret. It's Ben's physical health vs. Garret's mental health. Ben needs to keep his body from breaking and Garret needs to keep his head from breaking.

And based on last season, Garret will be on a short leash with the league. He's one indiscretion away from being suspended. It's because of that I give the nod to Garret. But it's a very slight nod. Can Ben stay upright for an entire season? I just don't know. I think Ben going down is more likely than Garret sabotaging his season by being a jackass. I sure hope I'm not right.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    If Ben stays healthy, I would think he would win it.

I was reading about Alex Smith yesterday and his amazing recovery...anyone think he comes back to play (not this year, but maybe next year)?

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    There is supposed to be a good documentary on Smiths effort to get back in the league, I must look it up. Hope he makes it back on a field some day. That was one horrible injury

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Bit of a farce? You mean like Brett Farve being voted league MVP after he admitted he had a problem with alcohol and pain killers?

• Like Like x 1
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnace.

You know I respect you. And I respect everyone's threads/posts here. However, I really cannot get on board with this one. Still respect it though (smile). For me, it is in the category of Coach of The Year Award; really insignificant IMO. Now if Ben wins MVP or Offensive Player of The Year or something else of "True Prestige" then great let's talk. Actually, I really do not care about any of the "Individual League Accolades" from the standpoint that I would trade away each and everyone, every season, for the Ultimate Prize, that being "A Ring". I would think that most players, minus the truly selfish ones, like an AB, would probably agree. Like Tomlin said to Fast Willie: "When I enter the building each day as I come to work, I walk by six Lombardi Trophies not six Rushing Title Trophies."

I hope I am not raining on your post Blast. Not my intention. However, being honest, I do feel the same way as I quoted Tomlin above. Now if Ben can get that "Comeback Player Award" en route to leading us to a Super Bowl Victory, then it is a "Win-Win". I am on board with that scenario.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    No chance in Hell Ben gets comeback play of the year. The national media hates Ben and always has. Even if Ben is deserving they will give credit to the defense or find some other reason to discredit his game. This is exactly the same reason I feel like Ben may have to wait to get ino the HOF.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm kinda surprised no one has started a thread about the cheapshots Jay Glazer took at Ben this week.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    @The Glory Days makes a strong point about Myles Garrett's blood lust against the Steelers. It is unusual even by rivalry standards but one that is very concerning.

Even before this incident, Myles Garrett was operating in the "Red Area" in terms of morality in the NFL last season. From punching Delanie Walker to essentially snapping Trevor Siemian's ankle in two, Myles was definitely teetering on the edge there. Then I recently looked up his penalty information via nflpenalties.com and found something very disturbing. Myles wants blood against the Steelers. Why that is I do not know. Granted, during the peak years between Ravens-Steelers, the intentions that Terrell Suggs had was far less violent, if non existent in comparison to Myles. Here is a better representation of the total Unnecessary Roughness Penalties commited by Garrett against the Steelers:

12/31/2017: Roughing The Passer

09/09/2018: Roughing The Passer

09/09/2018: Illegal Block Above the Waist

11/14/2019: Disqualification

The key metric here is that Myles has two incidents where he has gone above and beyond the edge of what constitutes as legal many times against the Black 'n' Gold. The only other time that Myles has committed two or more Roughing Penalties to any other team would be the New York Jets. Again, the aforementioned Trevor Siemian was lost for the Season because of that hit Myles administered. Regardless, the NFL MUST WATCH Myles when these two teams play again. Keep in mind I have only listed late hit penalties and the like because, adding his other penalties against Pittsburgh along with his total, Myles has committed 22 Total Penalties since entering the NFL. Of those 22, 5 have been against Pittsburgh. The next closest team is Baltimore. Get this; none of the penalties committed in those games were late hits but being offside! :eek:

In short?! Myles has it out for the Steelers. Hopefully it will not come to him wrecking the 2020 Pittsburgh Steelers. However, given the NFL's lackadaisical disciplinary action in addition to Garrett likely picking up where he left off last season in terms of his out of bounds play, I, along with Glory Days, have every reason to believe that Garrett WILL try something come October 18th.

17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Didnt catch that. What did he say?

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am with you on this one. I don't think a player coming off a suspension is eligible.

I do not believe you have to be coming back from an injury; Chris Boswell should have been eligible for comeback player of the year last year!

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben and fitness should never be uttered in the same sentence. Ben's idea of a workout is one yoga position, a round of golf and a beer.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    ‘Comeback’ would suggest time missed though surely? That wasn’t really the case with Boz, he just sucked for a year, possibly because he played through injury to be fair. Maybe I’m being pedantic.

Perhaps they should do a separate ‘most improved player’ or ‘breakout’ award for guys like that. Shaq Barrett in 2019 would have been a good shout for that award.

21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Ridiculous comment from Glazer. I expect Ben to be ready to go for week one. If he cannot motivate himself to be in the shape of his life For this upcoming season then he needs to retire.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't care about the awards if he mounts a "comeback" to the playoffs...Gotta get there first.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Ben tryin' to fitness 12 pack in my golf bag ever since this mornings' stretches.....see it works!

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. Ben has looked really good the last few seasons, I don’t expect that to be any different this year.

25. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I for one, am happy to see Gronk back. He desperately needed some time off to heal up. Say what you want, but Gronk is a good ole boy. He's an amazing player. I always enjoy watching great players, no matter who they play for.