1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Mason Rudoph?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yes but like 2018 we will also have Ben at QB which will negate the clueless OC like it did in 2018. If Ben goes down we are likely to have a repeat of 2019.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Spoken like a Ben apologist....:smiley1:

....hardly the fastest WR in college and connecting on a deep ball has just as much to do with accuracy of the QB as the speed of the WR does. I know you don’t want to give him any credit and like to exaggerate that a QB that has made it this far can’t throw a spiral but I’m gonna take a more realistic approach and give him time before writing him off. I’ll hang some hope on what I saw from him pre- concussion and chalk up his 4 INT game against Cleveland as a real bad game. Ben has had them too. Would it be fair to write off everyone who had a bad year last year? I’d say MR did pretty well when you factor in everything that he was up against. Ok MR hater? :drinks:

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    If I am an apologist, at least I am an apologist for a HOF'r, you are an apologist for a bad back-up QB;)

I didn't say he "can't" throw a spiral, he just doesn't seem to during games. And it isn't that he doesn't throw a spiral, he just doesn't spin the ball and it floats which is why it is so hard for him to deliver it into tight spaces.

Would you pre-scribe to a friendly bet? Pick the top two from below and I will pick the bottom two.................for a beer?
    Where will MR be in three years?
    1. Solid starting QB
    2. Good back-up QB
    3. Average back up QB
    4. Out of the league

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I would say his floor is a good back up QB

5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Does that mean you accept the bet or are you trying to spin it like a former spin doctor?:hehehe:

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Mason Rudolphs future?...

[​IMG]

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Point taken. I am still an MR fan. Reports have consistently stated he is dedicated to the game, if he gets the coaching and has that same dedication to HIS game then improvements should be seen. How much improvement??? Time will tell. My alluding to the all time NCAA yardage leaders and NFK success (or lack there of), was more on the line that often stats mean squat. Oakland took a guy first overall that could throw a football 60 or 70 yards through the goal posts, but could not find a receiver in the open field. Guys like Ben are generational, sure I hope for the next 'type' of Ben sooner than later, but reality also hopes MR can develop into something decent until that other guys arrives.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I get that MR may never amount to much. My point is it’s unfair to write him off based on last year and it’s hyperbole to suggest he doesn’t have the fundamentals to succeed. That’s the only reason I bring up his college stats. Is it the be all end all? Definitely not but he didn’t do what he did without ability that some are suggesting he doesn’t have. I think his success or failure will end up being based on his mental ability as opposed to his lack of physical abilities. Will it translate? Who knows? There are things to work on but there are also tools in the shed. I’m taking a wait and see approach because I have faith in Matt Canada.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not sure whether Rudolph will ever have what it takes to be a consistently good NFL QB. I want him to be a success because he’s a Steeler and seems to be a good guy (by all accounts other than Myles Garrett’s), but I see a key deficiency on the field that is tough to overcome. That deficiency is accuracy and timing on passes that an NFL QB must throw well - deep outs, digs, crossing patterns, and pretty much anything else that needs to be thrown with zip, on time, and accurately. He does fine on lofted passes, whether deep or fades in the red zone. He does fine on throws behind the line of scrimmage like bubbles (FWIW). In college that’s what he did: passes behind the line to his WRs and Justice Hill, fades to Marcel Ateman, who feasted on mediocre Big 12 corners, and deep throws to JW and Ateman. If you want his college tape, there aren’t a lot of attempts or success on the intermediate throw that are so important at the NFL level. A QB can get away with that in college, especially the Big 12 of 2016-17. I’m not going to pin it on mechanics and/or arm strength because I’ve seen QBs with great mechanics and arm strength who couldn’t hit a receiver in stride if he had a 20’ wing span, and I’ve seen QBs who look awful throwing the ball who have had great success. Heck, there’s a guy in the NFL who shot-puts a football and has spent much of his career knocking on the door of being a top 10 QB.

We’ll see how he progresses year to year. He has thrown those types of passes on time and accurately, but not consistently. He needs to do it with consistency to be a quality NFL QB. That’s my take anyway.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :bscow:

Find one post where I have done this.

12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Randy is tied to Ben at the Hip; as long as Ben is here Randy will be here.

Canada will work with Rudolph and Lynch to see if there is a starter among those 2 he can build his offense around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Did you not say....and I am paraphrasing because it isn't worth researching....that while Ben's elbow has been fixed, the rest of his arm/body is old and brittle and will give out?

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Of Rudolph's 24 completions in that game, 16 were to the running backs. Conner and Samuels were the difference in that game, and the Steelers did it with a game plan that really didn't work when they tried bits of it against other teams. The results and the numbers look good from that game, but it was really a matter of the Bengals being a complete disaster.

Rudolph had some decent moments and I really do think the hit that knocked him out against the Ravens had a lasting affect throughout the season, but I think it is fair to have less confidence in him now than we had before last season. He does have some fundamental flaws and his first real playing time in the NFL, overall, was not very impressive.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m willing to give Rudolph more rope before writing him off considering the circumstances surrounding his first season but I’m not going to pretend he was ever playing good. He had 4 games where he broke 200 yards, only once over 250 (251). His interceptions wouldn’t have been as bad if you take away the Cleveland game, threw 4 in that one alone.

Games under 200 Yards:

131 (injured)
    85 (benched)
    129 (injured)

That’s about as bad as you can play. Hopefully Ben stays healthy and they can work with Rudolph while he sits and learns under Ben. That was supposed to be the plan.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph... the new Landry Jones. Steelers fans hating the #2 QB. Imagine that.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Can’t all hate Ben.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I've never hated Ben... just believe his time is up. As a long time fan, I'm thankful for his contribution to the trophy case.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

With due respect to the Rooney's, this plan was asinine from the start. Pittsburgh should have nabbed a QB Coach in 2019 as Matt Symmes did not even qualify as one. Me and you both know that Randy Fichtner is not changing his ways in regards to how he runs the Offense. As such, Mason was not given much help from his Offensive Coordinator to begin with; doubly so after Fichtner admitted he does not trust Mason enough to open the playbook.

It seems though that the Rooney's have learned their lesson THOROUGHLY. I despise the fact that it had to be that way in 2019 but if one is to learn anything, it has to be the hard way. That way, that individual or group of individuals will know how to act accordingly the next outing; Matt Canada being the response of both Fighter's distrust with Mason and whatever the heck Matt Symmes was supposed to be.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hopefully
    Yes
    More so than when he was 22
    I have no idea

All I have ever stated is that I’m acknowledging he is an older quarterback, who never was much of a workout nut, who had surgery. Although I hope he plays two more seasons, and that is a possibility, I’m just also acknowledging he has the potential to not even make it to opening day.

Where reality will be, I have no guess.

22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We don't hate him but expect Big Ben level of play. I think he needs to take more chances although he checks down pretty good.

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Nobody cab dispute his age or his work out aversion but I simply haven't seen a decline. I saw him sling it all over in 2018 and then a bad game and a half, like he always starts the season with, and an instantaneous end to his season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Let’s not loose sight of the fact Ben doesn’t play well after a bye week.

He just had a bye year.

We will see.

:hi:

25. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe in MR. I think he has what it takes. While yes, it was his second year. However, he did not have the reps others did during his first year and was note even dressed for games. Even BigBen was only a game manager his first year with Jerome in the backfield. MR was asked to do more after a few starts. He played well enough to keep us in games against the Seahawks, 49ers, and even the Ravens (before existing the came with concussion). It was only after his concussion his play came into question. Over the past few years, there were plenty of fans calling for BigBen's numerous 3 and outs on offense. After his 5k yard season, fans short memory, and playing without him for a season do we start saying no one else is quite up to par. I'll take MR over any journeyman QB out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1