1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No the Steelers aren't going to sign Andy Dalton

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 30, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He was released today by the Bengals, you know someone was going to start a thread saying the Steelers need to sign a veteran QB. Dalton can get a lot more money elsewhere, and more playing time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Patriots

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That would be my assumption. I know they supposedly like the kid from Auburn, but they can't really want to go in with him as their only option. (Hoyer is not a guy you want starting in the NFL.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Of course he is not. This was already set in stone months ago. Besides, Mason Rudolph still needs another chance to prove himself.

One season of quite possibly the most tumultuous season any Sophomore Quarterback has ever gone through in NFL History is not enough information to decide whether he is or is not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    He got released because he wants to start. Why would he be interested in the Steelers?

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Have you seen the threads suggesting the Steelers should go after Rodgers and Wentz? Some fan was going to post it Dalton to Steelers thread anyway.

7. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Yea, doesn't surprise me. Can't believe there isn't a thread on trying to get Joe Burrow yet.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Do we kick the tires on Dalton as a backup? I don't want to watch if Ben goes down again this year. If they even get to play.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He may want to start, but there aren't many options open for that to actually happen.

10. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He'll go 11-5 in New England.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I will re-visit this thread when Ben goes out the second game of season and the Deer literally looks like a deer in headlights:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    or better.:icon e geek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The last thing the Steelers should be worried about is keeping Rudolph's path to playing time clear. The only reason they aren't a candidate to sign Dalton is they don't have the money available. If they could afford it and get him to agree to come in as Roethlisberger's backup, that would be an easy yes for a team that sure seems to be all-in on 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Andy has some upside. Knowledge of the AFC NORTH. He has a winning record. Plus I think he is only 32. As a solid back up and we all know quarterback play is paramount in the NFL. He is worth bringing in for a workout.

15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    You are fooling yourself if you believe Dalton would actually play for the Pittsburgh Steelers as a back up to Ben.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Wow, 3 threads,(and counting) dedicated to the Red Ryder. Pretty good!
    No thanks

17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ask yourselves this. Say the Steelers are 8-6 and one game behind the Ravens in the division. Ben throws his arm out and he is done for the season. Would you rather have Andy Dalton or Mason Rudolph attempt to carry us to the playoffs? Better yet, imagine if we are 11-3 and Ben goes down?

I still believe Rudolph can develop into a decent QB. And Im not saying we should go and sign Dalton. What I am saying is that theres something to be said for having a veteran backup, who has won a significant amount of games in this league. I'm not sure how the Steelers could do it financially. But if there is a way, Colbert should give it consideration.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Still a mystery how he can wear a helmet..............[​IMG]

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't say he would. I'm saying it is silly to say the Steelers shouldn't want him if they actually had a shot at getting him.

20. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think that this will happen, but I agree with Formerscribe. It would make sense to at least call him and ask him what he is looking for. He probably wants to start, but maybe he wants to win or maybe he wants to be Teddy Bridgewater and sit behind a HOF guy for a year with the opportunity to go 5-0 as the backup and get a contract the following offseason. You just never know. Is he my first pick to replace Ben long term? NO, not on any level, but he may be just what the doctor ordered a competent if not spectacular QB who has enough experience to win you some games in a pinch.

21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel machine.

Although I do not agree with the prediction of Ben going down it is within the realm of possibility. I have been advocating for Dalton for months here. I will stick with the pros of him playing with us. Now, I realize some of my things from the list below can also apply to other teams as well and some are solely reasons for him to come to Pittsburgh. Yes, I agree New England would be a good landing spot for him but not all cracked up to what some may think as you read my reasons below for Dalton to connect with us. So, sort through the list below folks and see if you think the Steelers would have the edge to picking him up. Forget the price tag for now as you analyze this list.

• He knows the division.
    • Even if he backs up Ben, keep in mind that Ben is "fragile" at this point. This was no simple surgery that he had. Dalton will be less than just one play away from becoming the starter considering Ben already has a pre-existing condition in a sense.
    • Ben may be out the door when his current contract ends anyway; thus, Dalton slides into his spot. Dalton is younger. He can have a nice long productive career in Pittsburgh. How many years does Ben have left on the contract. I am not sure if it is one or two.
    • I think our team has more of an upside regarding talent right now than New England. Everyone saw how the cheats did last year. They are more than a QB away from being dominant again. They had Brady last season and look how average they played, EVEN AT HOME! Dalton is not going to single-handedly turn the Patriots around. On the other hand, we are just a QB away from being a dominant team. Our Defense is great. Our Offense is very good, young, and on its way up.
    • Dalton will want to go to a team that has a winning tradition that is also high character. No Pac-Man Jones or Burfict guys here. The Steelers move in swiftly to get rid of those problems. I cannot say that about New England or many other teams for that matter. Just recall how Santonio Holmes was suspended by the team for the upcoming game against the Giants the year that we won Super Bowl XLIII. He got in some trouble that week and the Steelers handled it in house. They did not kick the can down the road and wait for the League to deal with it; which would have bought the team some time to keep him playing. I do not think any other team would have done that. Especially for their star receiver. The cheats are one of those teams that say: "We will let the process play itself out". In other words, they do not have the stones like the Steelers to deal with disciplinary issues in-house. Nor did/do the Bengals. We are the best in the league regarding that. Not perfect but the best.
    Well, I think I made my case folks. Once again, forget the price tag for a moment and just analyze the merits of my points as outlined above and tell me what you think.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    He doesn't, he just puts epoxy on his hair!

23. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    Seems there's a whole slew of folks round these parts that have seen enough of MR to know FOR A FACT that he will never be any good. Personally, I am with you. I need more info before stating my opinion as fact.

• Like Like x 1
  24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Fixed

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Except Dalton is 3-13 against the Steelers :shrug:

• Like Like x 1