1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Back to back HORRIBLE drafts. Tomlins infatuation with DMV players.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 26, 2020.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    VT is in Virginia correct? Tomlin is from Virginia. He has a soft spot for these players. Same reason he brought Vick in. I just laid out every player from that area we've drafted. Terrell and Worilds were average. Terrell definitely wasn't worth a 1st. The rest have completely sucked. Why are we still drafting players from that area??? Tomlin.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    does this include Fitzpatrick as our first pick?

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Some of the players from the DMV zone:
    Vernon Davis
    Kyle Long
    Sean Davis
    Zach Brown
    Kendall Fuller
    Joe Haden
    Cameron Wake
    Stefon Diggs
    Maybe these are some of the reasons Tomlin likes the area

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    YES

You listed Sean Davis :lolol: So like 3-4 pro bowlers in a decade? Yeah, I'll stick to PA, Texas, and Florida players thank you.

5. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    you can’t have it both ways, he had less say back then and more now because the draft didn’t go as well. i’m confident that Colbert and Rooney are not at home watching wondering “who will Mike pick?”. to simply lay blame on him players that may not have turned out and redirect credit for good results is a bit small. the Steelers organization put together a consensus of who they would like to draft and how it will affect the cap. The team has been successful for most of the past 13 years. when we didn’t go to the SB, we were very close and were consistent contenders. when you compare them to the Rams, Broncos or Falcons you see teams that buy a one year wonder and either win or not. we have been competitive to a fault. let’s say we went 2-14 for a few years and accumulated draft picks and too 10 picks we would be much better off. instead, we’ve fielded good teams on a consistent basis including an outstanding year last year give the circumstances with injuries.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowher drafted Heath Miller, TE, UVA. Before that, James Farrior was a not too shabby free agent pickup also UVA. There's good players from DMV, Steelers are simply not getting them. And you're right... Steelers have whiffed badly as of late.

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You've got your panties in a wad over Tomlin's "soft spot" for players from this area. Maybe because some really good players have come from there. You might have an argument if Tomlin ONLY took players from there.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We went all in on Devin Bush. Rumor has it that his upbringing in Florida was a hoax, and he was REALLY raised in Maryland, just outside of Washington DC. That may explain why Tomlin was willing to sacrifice 3 draft picks that could have gone to DMV players to get him. My tin foil hat squad is researching... stay tuned.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Bruce Smith went to Va. Tech. He set the NFL sack record with 200 career sacks.

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't you know? No matter how many good players come from that area, Tomlin only likes the mediocre ones! (green)

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I cannot wait!!! Could you be so kind as to find if Chase Claypool was born and raised in Maryland?! Many thanks! :)

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So, the S.D. union Tribune graded our draft a B. SBnation graded it a B. Pete Prisco (?) graded it a B-. How is it the nay-saying nabobs on here know so much more than the "pros"?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Draft grades are stupid. No one knows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed, but there are several people here who claim to know.

15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SDOT.

Personally, I have not been impressed with the majoitry of players that we have picked up from Maryland. The only one I ever gave a hoot about was Neil O'Donnell. And he in conjunction with some bone-headed WRs blew our chance at Super Bowl XXX. Forget the two disastrous picks for a minute. I can't believe I forgot about the following play with a few minutes left in that game. Ernie Mills running all alone down the right sideline and NO never saw him. Guaranteed TD. UGH! We had those chumps on the ropes. The game was ours for the taking. We should be 3-0 in Super Bowls against them.

Back to Maryland, second tier college for producing quality NFL players IMO.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Bingo. Only two players from that program drafted in 2020 and somehow we ended up with both of them and nobody sees an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not naming any names, but somebody keeps veering over onto the rumble strips.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:whistley:

19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    TODS BACKWARDS... SETTLE DOWN MY MAN! We'll see what comes of this.

20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Can't forget about Vick. MT is definitely all about his homeboys. At least he's consistent and predictable.

21. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    there it is, hear the whistle?

22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SDOT.

Go figure. Well, all we can hope for is that one of these days we will hit paydirt from a UMD draftee if Management is so intent on picking from that second rate program. Maybe this will finally be that day. One can hope anyway. They are the place where players go to if they do not get offers from the better teams in that conference.

Was Chad Scott a UMD player. If so he did bring me one happy moment. At least I think it was him. It was a Monday night game I believe during the 2001-2002 season against Tampa Bay and that piece of work Warren Sapp.

Side Note: What a moron. He went to the police after he was ripped-off by a "hooker". LOSER!

Back to the story, Scott picked off a pass in that game for a TD. We went onto win that game. That was the game also where Sapp ran through our warm-ups and the Bus pushed him out of the way. Classless but again what would you expect from him. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

23. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    You missed a connection! Tomlin's older brother Edie in 1989 played defensive back at Maryland. In the article below he details his connection and affinity for Maryland.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/t...ow-to-get-mcfarland-brooks-to-take-next-step/

24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    what whistle?

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    How about we wait and see how these guys play first, before acting like this is the worst draft ever :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1