1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Back to back HORRIBLE drafts. Tomlins infatuation with DMV players.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You have to assume Ben’s gone by then. That’s going to free up space. I can see us going back to having most of our big contracts on D with relatively cheap offensive starters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Let's hope that doesn't apply to the QB:drinks:

3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Read his scouting reports

He was the perfect replacement for Pouncey. Mocks in January had him going in 1st round around 20-25th pick. We could have stole him in the 4th instead of a Maryland RB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How did talking about Fitz's elevating this years draft class slither down into some abyss of despair? All I was commenting on was weather the geniuses factored Minkah's inclusion into their evaluation of all teams draft picks and now were into contracts years from now and catastrophic injuries.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That scouting report doesn't support your assertion that he was one of the best pulling centers in the last decade.

Overall, I've said all along that it was a mistake to pass on Biadasz, but it's a bit much to talk about him as a first-round talent given how late he was drafted.

I thought they should have taken him in the third, but clearly the Steelers were right to pass then. They had two more shots at him. To be clear, I have no problem with either of the guys they took in the fourth round. I don't see them as reaches the way you do. I just think Biadasz is better.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I can't find the article that said that anymore. I don't care when he was drafted. He had a 1st round grade on him last year and he decided to go back to school.

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wasn't James Farrior a DMV player since he went to school at UVA? Jason Worilds was Virginia Tech and he was good in his last 2 years. I get the DMV moniker, but not all DC. Maryland and Virgina players are worthless.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't care what the grade was on him a full year before he was drafted. That is no longer relevant.

He would have been a great value in the fourth round, but passing on him isn't nearly the disaster you are making it out to be.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Chase Young is a DMV player. I think just about anyone would have traded Dupree and all of our draft picks for him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dotson was an All-American, not being invited to the combine not that big of a deal. They were looking for a change of pace RB, and they got one of the fastest ones in MacFarland.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That's brilliant! You came up with a new name for HM! "Slither down into the abyss of despair"

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Dri Archer. Jaylen Samuels. Where's the change of pace? Why don't we draft a Fournette or Henry? You know RBs that actually win playoff games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Winning playoff games is dependent on two things that make the RB position meaningless:
    1. A coaching staff who can "get to" the playoffs.
    2. A coaching staff that can win a playoff game.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The only thing dumber than judging quarterbacks by wins and losses is judging players at other positions that way.

So, the Steelers should be able to take players in the third and fifth rounds and get them to produce as well as guys taken No. 4 overall and early in the second round?

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Point is we need a bruiser RB. We had the best catching/running RB in a long time and it amounted to nothing. We need to somebody that is going to get 3-4 yards a pop no matter what like Fournette did to us and Henry to Patriots/Ravens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    We can't forget about Heeeath from the University of Va.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Samuels was a 5th round hybrid RB/FB/TE guy. He's been a good receiver here. What the **** does that have to do with AMJ?

Further, DMV college players tend not to be great since those area schools are not good at football. Diggs is a great talent but there aren't a lot. Where it comes to high school players in the DMV, many good ones come from the area but they go to college elsewhere. For example, the 2nd overall pick this year. I didn't love the two MD picks this year but a player's NFL chances are not dependent on his school's history of success. Lots of Alabama players bomb out in the NFL. Judge the player and leave the other bull**** out of it.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    MacFarland is nothing like Archer, he was small and really didn't have a position. The change of pace is MacFarland is fast, and Snell and Conner aren't.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I can't believe I forgot about Heath Miller. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  20. andy32

andy32 Member

Apr 25, 2020
    I believe the only team with a 1000 yard rusher to win the SB in the last decade was Seattle with Marshawn Lynch. The days of the bell cow seem to be at an end and hopefully Tomlin can see that now. Split carries and keep everyone fresh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Gonna have to

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

The time to split carries and keep everybody fresh was 2016 after DeAngelo Williams was tearing up the field all of 2015. I guess LeVeon Bell was pouting about his touches too much to MT so instead Bell was the feature back so much so that he was worn and torn going into the playoffs. Of coarse Bryant and immature AB were crying about their participation so the squeaky wheels got the grease and they ended up losing to a much less talented Donkeys team.

Still can't believe they didn't use the two headed monster approach.

I feel bad for DeAngelo having to ride the pine most of 2016.

The problem with this team is, and always has been since the Chuck Noll days are selfish players controlling coaching decisions. Cowher had his faults and Tomlin does even more so.

This draft ain't the worst by a long shot nor is it the best but if the HC can't get them to play together as a team it won't matter diddly squat anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Minka should not be a problem to keep long term because Safeties are always on a discount compared to corners.
    And, right now he is on a significant discounted price as he left all his bonus money in Miami.

Funny, If I am reading this correctly Safety is the lowest paid Defensive Position in the NFL

• Like Like x 1
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
  25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The Edmunds bro’s went to Virginia Tech? They are from Maryland but I don’t see how that correlates... Jason Worilds neither played at or is from Maryland (VT and New Jersey)? What? Lol