1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Back to back HORRIBLE drafts. Tomlins infatuation with DMV players.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 26, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers only had 6 picks, 1 pick in the top 100, they did alright considering their low amount of picks.

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Who in our Div drafted anyone close to our #1 pick from Miami?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Th Bungles drafted Burrow who could very well turn that organization around and then went and provided him with a WR that was on the opposing team in the National Championship game. Pair them with Joe Mixon and the sky may be the limit. One thing though, they are the Bengals and will probably flop like the usually do with high draft picks.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Did all of these geniuses account for Minkah?

5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yes, I know PFF did and gave them a B-. If you remove all pro Minkah this draft is 2nd worst to the Packers.

What's exciting about this draft? They got a clone of somebody they could have got last year. Reached on their first two picks. I could live with those picks if they traded back and got an extra 3rd and got higher quality 3rd round picks. They could have got the 3rd best guard in the draft instead we got somebody not even invited to the combine. We could have got one of the best pulling centers the last decade comparable to Pouncey. Instead we got two players from a horrible Maryland program and we were the only organization to draft from them.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is just so much wrong in this post. Claypool was not a reach. He was ranked a second-rounder by most, with some thinking he could go late in the first. I don't know where you get this ridiculous idea they were going to trade down far enough to get an extra third-round pick and still get him. Last year, you were mad that they didn't find some phantom trading partner to move up for a similar player. Now you are complaining that they took his clone too high. There is no logic at all to your argument.

I wanted Biadasz, but one of the best pulling centers in the last decade? What part of your imagination did you get that from?

And yes, the Steelers were the only organization to draft McFarland and Brooks. That's how the draft works. Only one team can draft each player. Perhaps that has been the problem all along. You just didn't know how the draft works. :)

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Brooks was one of the slowest safeties at the combine. Maybe he really does have better game speed than clock speed, but he's not an NFL cornerback. That's just a silly expectation. If anything, he is more likely to move from safety to linebacker than corner.

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    FUN FACT

The Patriots haven't produced a single Pro Bowler in the draft since 2013.

How does that man still have a Job???

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. andy32

andy32 Member

Apr 25, 2020
    Bush was a fantastic pick both for talent and need. Diontae Johnson was fifth in the entire NFL at separation last season behind four TE’s. As a rookie. If we had anyone to get him the ball then everyone would know how good he’s gonna be. He’s gonna catch a lot of balls this season.

I disagree with either draft being bad.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

First and foremost, hello Andy32! Welcome to the board! My name is AskQuestionsLater; member of the Writing Team for TheSteelersFans! If you have any questions about this years draft or even the upcoming 2021 Draft, which I have already started, feel free to PM me and I will assist you in any way I can.

To your point though, ignore SDOT. He is trapped within his own illusion that is padlocked by ego and pride. Chase Claypool > D.K. Metcalf. How do I know this?!

This might be college tape but the same issues remain with him in the pros. For that matter, go look back at his rematch with Greedy William's in Week 6. One catch for four yards against Greedy Williams.

How about the Week 7 game when he played against Marlon Humphrey?! Four catches for 53 yards. That was it.

The Week 15 matchup against Patrick Peterson?! Zero catches. That is it.

Against Xaiver Rhodes in Week 12?! Six Catches for 76 yards but no scores.

In short?! Physical corners parked their foot up D.K.s rear end. For that matter, that was his major complaint coming out of Ole Miss; Corners who could press him not just physically but also technically. I will state this; brute strength alone will not stop D.K. when pressing him at the line. Physicality and technique will.

Heck, for the best reference, look no further than Pittsburghs own Week 2 Matchup against him. More specifically against Steven Nelson. D.K. did nothing against him despite Nelson being an inferior athlete by all accounts. By comparison, Terrell Edmund's got bodied by him via poor technique which lead to D.K.s only score. The overall verdict still stands; D.K. cannot beat press from Number One Corners who excel at technique with just enough athletic ability.

Now, Chase Claypool on the other hand?! Beating press is not going to be an issue for him. Unlike D.K., Chase ATTACKS any and every Cornerback without giving an inch in terms of press. Unless you are essentially a "Unicorn" level corner like Patrick Peterson, Stephon Gilmore or even Jalen Ramsey, good luck on dealing with Claypool one on one.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. andy32

andy32 Member

Apr 25, 2020
    Thanks!

As for Claypool I agree. I’ve seen just about every snap of his college career and I think once people see him on the field he’s gonna be a fan favorite. His measurables are enough to be excited about but his style of play is what’s gonna win over this fan base. He only knows one way to play. Hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    It’s hard to truly critique this draft when we had 0 draft capital going in. Minkah and Bush cost us our 1st and 3rd. Realistically the only guy that we should hit on is Claypool. If he turns out to be decent then they did the best they could. 4th round picks and beyond rarely make any huge NFL impact beyond depth so if even one of those guys turns into a starter one day it will be gravy.

On a side note has any other team ever had only 1 pick in the top 100? Seems crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly. Every year it seems a lot of the talking heads give high grades to those teams with multiple high picks. Well, of course a team will have a good draft if they have 2 picks in round 1!

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    A "twenty mule team" couldn't turn those jack-asses around, let alone a single Burrow:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think "that man" understands that the further you go down in the draft, the less likelihood of a bust or a waste of money which could be used elsewhere; he has always traded out of the first round if possible.

At the position he usually drafts, you could trade a 1st round pick for two 2nd's, a 4th, and a 5th. Do this for a couple years and you can build one hell of a roster.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Stone, I'm fairly certain that your sarcasm detector failed you on that one.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Nah, I knew:cool: But I'm kinda surprised that more organizations don't do the same thing.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We only have Minkah for 3 years (4 counting 2019) instead of the usual 5 for first round picks on rookie contracts.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    And year 1 he was 1st team All Pro. How many teams will get a 1st team All Pro from their 1st round pick as a rookie? How about in year 2?

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope we can afford to keep Fitzpatrick around. Watt is not going to be cheap... and we've got several other key players who will be up for new contracts.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Exactly! And 4 years of elite play doesn't begin to measure up to 5 years of potential greatness. That's why I always fold with four aces, cause someone might have five kings:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    So we're guaranteed 4 years of elite play from Fitz? Devastating injuries can happen to anyone. Reality smacked us in face last year during the Seattle game.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And we're guaranteed 5 years of "any" play from a rookie? Or don't players entering as a rookie ever get injured in their first 5 years?

25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah as a matter of fact... Mendenhall, Spence, Kendrell Bell and Casey Hampton come to mind. People forget, but Hampton missed most of the 15-1 2004 season.