1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did the Steelers get better this weekend(NFL draft)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 26, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

This is confusing from Kaboly, because he gave them a grade of B for their draft :shrug:.

2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    That is quite a statement for Kaboly to make before any of these draftees take one NFL snap.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Did they get better? Yes.

Did they get better for 2020? I'm not so sure.

I get why they drafted Claypool. The Steelers could use a big target, deep threat. After watching some tape , I personally think he is going to take some time to develop. Just like JW found out during his first year, the NFL game is different, and big plays in the passing game are harder to come by when the coverage is better. Im not saying Claypool will not be good. I actually like the pick. I just don't think he's polished enough to come in and be a big time contributor right away.

Highsmith will not see the field much besides special teams. Probably a Bud replacement for 2021.

McFarland adds a dimension to the offense that the backs we currently have do not. That being said, how many carries does everyone anticipate McFarland getting? We just signed Watt who I am assuming is going to play a considerable role in the offense. If Conner can stay healthy, he will no doubt get the mass majority of the snaps. Snell is going to continue to see carries. Besides a change of pace series or two per game I'm not sure how much McFarland plays.

Dotson may actually have the best chance of contributing early IMO. Once you get past the 4th round its a crap shoot. No telling if any of those guys will sneak up and surprise us.

I think this draft may end up being a decent one when we look back on it after a few years. I just don't think it helped us much for 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's true of every team after every draft, with a few single player exceptions.

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    A bit dramatic of him. I’m not sure how anyone could Say that either. We added what could be an outstanding wr and a desperately needed Home run threat at rb. It want a flashy draft, but it was a solid draft. You have to remember we might lose juju to free agency next year. We look far better at wr with claypool, johnson,Washington then Johnson,Washington, and x. Dobbins is tempting, but it’s far easier to replace a rb with a rookie than a wr.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nobody knows but everyone has an opinion. Lol

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    watt plays fb and special teams. He won’t be taking snaps from McFarland.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They got a big fast field stretcher that they haven’t had since Bryant and a HR threat at RB. Two things lacking from the team last year. Not sure how that doesn’t make them better :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's a B because Minkah is an all-pro. It's like a D when you look at who they actually drafted.

Everybody in our division got better. Ravens potentially had the best draft with big names falling to them. They were already arguably better than us on paper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Not quite the point I was trying to make. Watt will be getting carries and will be catching some balls out of the backfield. Not competing for the carries McFarland will get, but competing for touches from the backfield in general. Watt wasn't brought in just to block IMO. Only so many touches to go around.

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    watt is here to replace Rosie. A player that other than blocking contributed very little on offense and quite a bit on special teams. In five years you’re talking about a dozen receptions and a half a dozen carries.

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I didn't study this draft or anything. Seems the picks are good though.

I think someone that has a large catch radius and can stretch the field was a great pickup early. His upside is tremendous.

The olb and rb look like they can fill roles/depth. They got a big OL and DT that has potential with late round picks.

Think this was a decent one. Sure to be some duds along with some good players like everyone.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Without a doubt. Pittsburgh has lacked a "Thermonuclear Option" since the departure of Martavis Bryant. Chase Claypool is essentially Martavis Bryant minus the issues. In addition, he is more polished coming out than Martavis was. Chase will pay dividends early and often. Alex Highsmith is Bud Dupree insurance. Much like Javon Hargrave, look for him to surprise some people as a situational pass rusher. Kevin Dotson might not be our most athletically gifted Offensive Lineman but the case can currently be made for him to be our best Run Blocking one. Yes, David DeCastro is still on the roster; as is Maurkice. Beyond those two though, anyone else?! While I do not expect him to start early on, I do expect him to be an emergency option. As for the rest of the picks, McFarland, Brooks and Davis are all depth pieces but each has a role to play; McFarland being the biggest.

Having a change of pace back in today's league is essential as it keeps the defense guessing as to what way the Offense can attack the edges in terms of Running Styles.

Overall, I like this class. Not as much as last years but I do like it. B+ for me.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Go root for the Ravens then. Add the Seahawks as a second team while you are at it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    We got better this year starting with the Fitzpatrick trade last year. when you look at the draft, put him as our first pick and that will provide clarity for the morons that grade the draft.

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Add Ben in and we are about 3 wins better than last year lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I gotta have some depth hope for all-some the guys that were signed from XFL.
    They have to be hungry for their last attempt at keeping the dream alive.
    Even if one guy makes it, it's worth it.
    Camp should be interesting and highly competitive.

Here comes an Undefeated Pre-Season! Hahahahahahaha!

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets hope!

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No. The Steelers are not better. We could have got 1st round talent in the 2nd round with Dobbins....but we got 2nd round talent in the 2nd round. More proof Harbaugh coaches circles around Tomlin. We got PWN3D. Period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    One and done two years in a row for ravens

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    At least the Ravens made the playoffs. Steelers...7th seed forever.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Those were rebuilding years, unfortunately.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Kaboly must be mad that his mock was completely wrong. As others have pointed out they may not make a huge impact in 2020 but I hope the Steelers had a decent draft.

Ravens are making some excellent moves and are managing their roster and their resources better right now though imo. Adding Dobbins to an already loaded RB room is just taunting us, albeit the teams clearly weren’t as high on him as the draft community so we’ll see.

24. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
  25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015