1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Back to back HORRIBLE drafts. Tomlins infatuation with DMV players.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This draft is all about Primus. First Claypool, now DMV.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Bush, Johnson, Snell, Layne, Buggs, "Horrible"...Think you might be jumping the gun a "tad"

3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You can tell the drafts Tomlin has his hands all over. He's from that area so he has a weak spot for these players. Same reason he brought Vick in. Last really good draft is when we didn't draft any of these players, 2017. Coincidence? I think not.

Bush is the only sure fire starter like Minkah. DJ was average. Snell was below average. Layne was a project like we said. Buggs and Gentry did nothing.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    D.J. average? Second team All Pro as a returner and led all rookies in receptions. Snell also did fine, nobody was expecting him to light up the league and I don’t think any of the running backs taken after him have done a whole lot yet either.

Steelers draft well all things considered.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Last year they had those same 3 guys, and had to rely on Johnny Holton to be their deep threat :facepalm:, so WR was a need.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The only thing I heard about MacFarland is from anonymous sources :facepalm:, if he's a problem cut him, not that big of a deal getting rid of a 4th rd pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Johnson leading rookie WRs in receptions was average, damn you're clueless :facepalm:.

8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They use to. Solid picks and rare gems here and there. Tomlin has too much say and they put way too much stock into former coaches. In the last 3 drafts now, we've drafted 6 players because their former coaches coach for us now. We haven't seen the last two but the other 4 have been very average or not on the team anymore. Best one was Jaylen Samuels.

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This is the mentality of a horrible draft. 1st round talent was getting got in the 2nd. Starters in the 3rd and we are taking a flyer on some headcase in the 4th? If you're going to waste a pick at least use it to move up in the 3rd to get a higher quality prospect.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The last three drafts have yielded Watt, Juju, Sutton, Conner, Washington, Bush & Johnson. All starters and one potential DPOY. I’d say that’s top five in terms of drafting, definitely top 10. Most teams would be very happy with that.

Edmonds and Layne are question marks still, as is everyone taken this year. I really don’t see the issue with their drafting. It is simply not possible to hit on every pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    All teams take that mid/late round pick, who is a great story, or was a huge fan as a kid, or is from the area, or is related to (or knows) someone on the team, etc. We seem to do it more than other teams. Whether it helps or hurts, I don't know. Maryland has a horrid football program but that doesn't mean there aren't a few NFL caliber players there.

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Only two players on that horrible 3-9 team drafted in 2020 and we took both of them. So I guess we will find out. 11 in last 4 years and we've taken 4 of them.

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya rookies...Year 2 is always the year and Johnson was our best receiver, with horrible QB play, OL play, and play calling... Lets revisit next year and reassess

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Especially considering that Metcalf was catching passes from Russell Wilson, and DJ was catching passes from backups.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

:shrug:

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

Still obsessed with D.K. Metcalf that much I see. Very intriguing. Now, how could he have helped Pittsburgh's Defense in 2019 is something that needs to be answered. Otherwise, this is the second straight season you have openly admitted you have no answer towards the issues that surround the team.

You CHOOSE to believe that one player solves the issues on the side of the ball that he does not even play. The Steelers will CHOOSE to correct the issues by selecting players who can make a difference on that side of the ball.

The fact of the matter is the Rooney's have an unthinkably, colossal greater degree of understanding of how building Playoff Caliber Teams work than you do. Whether or not you want to admit that is again, your CHOICE. Here is my choice; trust the process.

That process has netted Pittsburgh Six Lombardi trophies.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    If you go look at my breakdown of 2019 draft. I never said DJ wouldn't be good. I said he wasn't the WR we needed. He's not a X wr or going to be a deep threat. Unless he's the next Tyreek Hill which I'm not seeing. I was proven right by them using their 1st pick in the 2020 draft on a true deep threat. If we got a deep threat in 2019, Metcalf then we could have used this years pick on a position of need instead of a band aid for horrible decision making in 2019.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This is simply nothing more than a person who will, at all costs, push his narrative. He believes that, if he does not, he will excoriate the player whom he wanted; something that is so comical that SNL should probably put in one of their skits! :lolol: That is not the biggest issue though.

He simply refuses to acknowledge that drafting D.K. Metcalf would have done nothing for the Defense. Correction. He CHOOSES to deny that which was a fact heading into the 2019 NFL Draft.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Second!!!

Push Eric DeCosta out the front door! :coolcool:

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I actually kind of agree with this point. But when you factor in Fitzpatrick, Claypool, and Highsmith, your complaining is a little over dramatic for this draft. I agree with your overall premise that the Steelers roster is not as good as it has been.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

By the way, Pittsburgh has already played all three of those corners last season. Chase will have a more forgiving path ahead. Outside of Marlon Humphrey, Darius Slay, Quinton Dunbar and Chase's own 2020 Draft Classmate in C.J. Henderson, I am not worried in the slightest.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Fixed it for you....

I jest. Sort of.

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    ...….and who would have thrown to him?

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    While I don't share SDOT's direness, I do think he has a point. It just seems like they draft people knowing full well that they'll probably be discarded, instead of picking dedicated position players. This Swiss Army Knife players mentality hasn't been panning out imo. It would be nice if they drafted a real RB for example instead of all this hybrid infatuation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Samuels out of the wildcat.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2