1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers weak draft weakness: CB and now RB selections ... maybe

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Apr 25, 2020.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    What do Edmonds, Samuels, Connor, Snell, and now McFarland have in common? The exact same NFL prospect rating: BACKUP/SPECIAL-TEAMER. What does McFarland not have in common with the other Steelers' RBs? Speed! In the forty he is a full second faster than Samuels who is the fastest of the rest. So maybe there is hope. He appears quicker with his cuts and acceleration. He was injured much of last season so he may have slipped under the radar to the Steelers. Let's hope so. Have to give the kid a chance.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Trey Edmunds wasn't a draft pick. He was a free agent and never intended to be more than a special teamer and backup.

Conner was not rated as a backup coming out of college.

Samuels was always thought to be more of a role player.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Benny ball!! Someone get Ben on board.

4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    A full second? McFarland IS fast but, He runs a 3.6?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Conner has a Pro Bowl to his name. How is he considered a backup after succeeding Le'Veon?! Conner made a name for himself. His issue is staying healthy.

Jury is still out on Benny Snell although I definitely saw more from Snell in his Rookie season than I thought he had. To me, Benny Snell seems to be primed to be the main back post 2020.... or when/if Conner gets hurt again.

Between Kerrith Whyte Jr, Jaylen Samuels and now Anthony McFarland, Samuels seems to be the odd man out so far. I do not think that the team drafted McFarland just to simply sit and warm the bench. The battle for the final Running Back will be interesting....... if there is a Pre Season to begin with!

Overall, the Running Back position in terms of the team scouting has not changed a bit in my eyes. People need to understand that just because a player at a position is not the player people wanted does not mean that said player is going to be bad. Give Anthony McFarland a chance.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Conner was rated to go in round 1 if he didn't get sick . His college numbers were better than Bells.

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Does he have more speed than Whyte who you forgot.

8. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Yep, I forgot about Whyte. Whyte participated at FAU's Pro Day, where he recorded a 40-yard dash time of 4.36 seconds; the time would have been the second fastest at the NFL Scouting Combine. He was drafted at 222 by the Bears with a prospect rating of 5.8, BACKUP/SPECIAL-TEAMER. Same as all the rest.

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Thanks.

10. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    McFarland is a totally different back than what we have. Simply put, he can break for the long score. Just ask OSU
    If he gets the edge and sees green, cyaaa... We haven't had that for a long long time.

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel Hog.

I hope all is fine in your World.

Yes, I too was going to mention Whyte and his speed. I have talked about that for a while now. As a Track & Field Coach, I can tell you that Whyte is fast, very fast. He ran a 10.5 for the 100 meters. That is blazing! I would maybe like to see what he could do on punt and kick returns. I just do not know enough about his hands. If he can secure the ball and get an open lane we are talking Willie Parker fast. I am a big advocate of speed. Either you have it or you do not. Everyone can get faster and max-out with training. However, once again, 10.5 seconds for the 100 meters is cooking.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 2
  12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I didn't see a need for an additional RB to add to the wheel house especially when we had a burner to begin with but let em hit the turf and may the best men win.

13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I see you caught that too. McFarland ran a 4.44 forty. If Samuels is a full second slower than that would mean that he runs a 5.44 probably around what Big Dan would run.

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Conner is great but I can guarantee he gets hurt next year

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    To be honest I think the Steelers brass thinks that too. That's why they drafted McFarland to rotate in with Benny Snell when Conner goes down.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Whyte is fast, but looking at McFarland highlight runs he seems to have a little more wiggle and quickness then Whyte. He seems to get to the outside quicker with some nice cuts and then he was gone. Whyte was fast when he got to the outside but he had some trouble getting to the outside. We shall see soon. I also thought Whyte should have played more last year due to his speed. Only concern is Tomlin has never shown he could manage running back by committee. He prefers to run the wheels off his main back, although last year he was better but I think that was due to injuries to Conners.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    every new coach gets a present

Ike Hilliard - Claypool
    Canada - coached McFarland
    Dunbar - had Frasier and Buggs the next year
    Faulkner - Snell

18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey JAD.

Your Quote via Tomlin: "run the wheels off". I have always said this regarding this concept. IT IS ONE OF THE DUMBEST THINGS I HAVE EVER HEARD.

I am not shouting at you JAD with the Bold and Caps. It is just displaying my total and utter disgust for such a ridiculous idea. Did Tomlin think this saying up all by himself to gain notoriety? Well, if so it did.... for all of the wrong reasons. As a coach with over 40+ years of experience. yes, someone is always going to be the "Workhorse" on a team. However, to run that person into the ground is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard of. Tomlin, who obviously coaches at the professional level should know better. Way, way better! What a moron if he really buys into this self-fulfilling idea. Look where it got Willie Parker. And whether you like him or not is not the issue, he would have probably ended up getting Bell injured as well.

Yes, one player is usually going to get the majority of the snaps. However, we are talking about flesh and blood, not robots. If the team is up by double digits with say a few minutes to go you bring in a fresh back even if it is just for a few snaps. Forget that for a moment. You have several other backs suiting up. Give the feature back a break here and there and get the other guys a few carries if for nothing else to keep their morals up. Even more so, give the other team something to think about.

Football is a very physically demanding game. The RB position probably takes the most punishment of any position. People talk about AB needing a psychological evaluation. Well, then Tomlin should be in the Waiting Room right behind him. I know I am going off here but I have been very passionate about this idiotic philosophy from day one that I heard it. And not a good form of passion.

Oh yeah, as far as Whyte, again I love his speed as I have stated. However, I do not know if he has the "wiggle and quickness" to compliment it. Nonetheless, give the man a seam and let him fly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree with all Steelwinds, also as a former coach it's like preaching to the choir... :this!:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah now would be a good time to get the coaching staff in line with utilizing the whole barn so to speak. Keep folks fresh, get folks experience and such. Problem is, that might require week to week game planning/adjustments... Another weakness around here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey JAD.

Yes, I just do not get that mentality. Again, one back is going to be the featured guy. Most RBs will tell you that they need "X" amount of carries to get comfortable during the course of a game. Makes sense. However, the Coach has to use a little foresight here. Yes, if the game's outcome has yet to be determined late in the contest then sure you stick with the featured back. Even then, he is going to need a breather every now and then. Also, you put your team in the best position to win. "Running the wheels off" of a specific RB is just not smart. Down the road it will takes its toll on the RB well before the season is done. By doing so you are setting him up for an early "Season Peak" as well as possible injury. Just not sound coaching. I have seen this concept backfire many times throughout my coaching career.

Also, as Tomlin likes to talk about "Situational Football" so much then show us you know how to coach by tapping into the skill-sets of some of the other RBs throughout the game. There are distinct differences of strengths between Conner, Whyte, Samuels and Snell. I will not include Edmunds here because he offers no value whatsoever IMO. A good coach knows how to utilize all of his weapons even if it is for one or two plays from each of the non-featured backs. I will also place some of this blame on the OC as well.

In addition, the coach must take into consideration the psyche of the other players. If they suit up each game and bust their tails in practice all week the coach has to consider incorporating them into the game plan to some degree. If they stand on the sideline week in and week out after putting in the work and not even getting a single touch, well that becomes very disheartening to the player. If they earned a few snaps then give the players those touches. Again utilize all of your weapons while given the main RB a break every now and then.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ralph webb is close as well at 4.49. There could be some tough decisions at rb.:cool:

23. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Comment by:
    Steelers Depot
    /@Steelersdepot
    2020 Stock Watch – RB Kerrith Whyte – Stock Down http://dlvr.it/RVXRjr

I forgot about Whyte but this guy just plain disrespects him. He writes as if Whyte does not exist, non-entity.
    https://triblive.com/sports/john-steigerwald-viewers-steelers-offense-winners-in-nfl-draft/
    "Running back Anthony McFarland Jr., taken in the fourth round, also could make an immediate impact. Watch his highlight reel. He’s ridiculously fast, makes people miss and will get yards that James Conner couldn’t dream of getting. He should complement the inside power running of Conner and Benny Snell (fourth round last year). McFarland is something neither Snell nor Conner is: a home-run hitter. The Steelers had one run over 40 yards last season and only nine over 20 yards. McFarland is fast — his 4.4 time in the 40 ranked fourth among running backs at the NFL Combine — and will give the Steelers offense a dimension it hasn’t had." Whyte who? Well, come camp time we will all know who is the speed and on the 53.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Is it a money-back guarantee?:smiley1:

25. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The RB's we have now are fine if we can get a semblance of a passing game to keep defenses from stacking the line.