1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Mason Rudoph?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Apr 22, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Are we all of the opinion that Paxton Lynch is a lost cause and won’t ever see the field? I’d there a chance he takes the backup job from Rudolph?

I don’t know much about the guy at all but he must have had first round talent at one point.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I wouldn't say that he "was" first round talent just because he was taken in the first round. Hell, the Browns can blow that argument out of the water repeatedly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Trade him, b4 other teams know what we got lol

4. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    Honestly, I agree that Fitchner is inept, but it is not the Steelers way to just up and fire him. Matt Canada was brought in. Whether folks HERE think he is the answer or not....I bet money that for Rooney and Tomlin this was a "you better wake the **** up" call for Randy. I will also bet money that Fitchner is gone one second after Ben is gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Col.SteveAustin9768

Col.SteveAustin9768 Active Member

Apr 21, 2020

6. Col.SteveAustin9768

Col.SteveAustin9768 Active Member

Apr 21, 2020
    I totally agree.He did some good things to warrant another chance.With this New QB Coach, He just might flourish under him? I like the kid. I hope the Steelers keep him around.He deserves a second chance. JMO

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    From what I've heard, he has the talent but not the smarts.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm hoping maybe we have seen enough of MR in game to see where he needs real help, and hopefully he can get that kind of coaching. I know two big "if's".

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting take here.

Here in lies the kicker; Kevin Colbert has drafted multiple Pro Bowlers, All Pros and HOF players. Cleveland has had so many GMs since 2000 that the only notable players are a one hit wonder in Peyton Hillis and Joe Thomas. Immense difference in talent evaluation overall.

That said, I trust that Mason Rudolph can rebound. More good was shown than bad with him given his circumstances. Now that the team has a real QB Coach in Matt Canada, I expect him to get better this season with the experience he has now.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Would it be Jacob Eason then?!?! He has by far the most powerful and talented cannon in the class. It is just that everything else he does needs SERIOUS WORK.

Kevin Colbert did not rule out that possibility but also did not confirm it either. Jalen Hurts if not him?!?!

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The first guy they met with was the kid from princeton. Kevin davidson. 66.8 % completions. 20 TDs - 6 int.. :cool:

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Several articles about how Canada was considered the new hot young innovator in college football and how Tomlin plans to use that experience. Sounds even more ominous than when they brought in Austin to help with defense communications and help Butler. This sounds like hey maybe look at what Randy is planning and maybe MacGyver it up to be a winning plan.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, Johnny Football wasn’t a 1st round talent? Does anyone else know?

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Eason
    Fromm
    Hurts
    Jordan Love

Love you almost have to take if he is there at 49, Fromm I would strongly consider. Eason and Hurts would consider any pick after 49.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There are so many needs, yet Hurts intrigues me. Yes shorter than you would like, but the kid has displayed leadership and winning play under 2 different systems. I think a guy named Russel Wilson did that, he has not turned out to bad.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We should have kept Landry and never wasted 2 picks on QB’s.

I hope Steelers stick with Mason solely in hopes we don’t draft yet another QB.

Just wait until Ben is gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I like Lynch to take over the #3 and push for #2. I am anxious to see what he is capable of doing this preseason, having an entire year with the playbook. I think he got rushed out of Denver before they ever allowed him to start playing his type of game.

He was praised pretty heavily during he bye week by the coaching staff; and stayed protected on the 53 man roster for the rest of the season. Paxton has all the tools to be a successful dual threat QB.

I think it will be Ben, Mason and Paxton on the active roster next year. Now if only Paxton could go back to wearing his #12 jersey!

18. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I really try to be optimistic about our guys every year but....
    One good shot with a helmet or shoulder pad on Ben's elbow and that might be end of the season for him.i don't see Mason or Duck being the quarterback we need going forward. Then again we are cash strapped for now. Hoping for the best like I do every year.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  19. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Through the ugliness, there were enough good signs last year that I still think he could turn out to be a solid starter. Things sure went sideways for him last year, most of which wasn't his fault. I'm glad we can keep working with him and don't have to make a decision now. If things don't look better in a year, meh, he was a 3rd round pick. Ya just never know.

20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I honestly do not know much about him, but what makes you think he would be a dual threat QB? His career yards per run avg in college was was 2.4..hell even Switzer does better than that lol. One take on Lynch by Bill Polian is that he is actually to tall. I do not get the argument, but he states there has never been a successful QB in the NFL over 6'6, and ideal is 6'3 to 6'5. I am not saying he is accurate, I do not care to look at historical height data, could really care less, but the point was made.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hurts isn't making it to any pick after 49, which is fine. The accuracy just isn't there on a consistent basis.

22. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    The Steelers needed to turn the reins over to Rudolph last offseason! He needs a full offseason with the team and the Steelers need to enter a new 4-year superbowl window with a young quarterback. He is good enough, he showed it last year, he was drafted for that, and now we had wasted two years of the contract.

What wasn't good last season is that this team had no plan. They did nothing. It was like, let's roll the dice and see how it goes. They were not ready for the season. They put a lot of stock into mediocre wide receivers and some of the dudes that played last season were not even NFL level skill or effort, and they did not pan out! We need better! And Ben is done. They need to stop that crap, stop fkn around, turn the reins over, and get some receivers!

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Honestly have not seen enough of him, 65% career completion, 80 TD's to 20 int's. Understood he had some really good WR's as well. Seems like he is shooting up the boards, so as you say will likely be gone and not sure we can use our only pick in the top 100 on a QB anyway. But from everything I hear the kid is a naturally good leader, others will play there hearts out for him..and he is a winner. May account for nothing, or in the right system he may be the real deal. A team with depth could use a 2nd on him and if nothing else get a slash for a couple of years...we do not have that option.

24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    uh, no he was not good enough. Likely will never be good enough, and how were 2 years wasted? His first year he definitely was not ready and Ben led the league in passing yards, last year when given the opportunity he proved he was not ready. This year he may yet grow under a QB coach, if the talent is there he will definitely get his chance, if not he will likely get his chance under the next spring league that forms.

25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    No thanks on hurts... Helluva athlete but we don't need anymore gimmickry on the roster. He ain't an NFL QB. If they want a good athlete and he's there in the 6th or 7th then fine

26. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    With the exception of Love, I can see all those guys being there at 49 or later.

Only Burrows and Tua jump off the page at you.