1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Mason Rudoph?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    After reading a lot of interesting stuff on MR I kinda feel sorry for the guy. He suffered with a bad OC, he got his brain scrambled, some think the Steelers held him out of week 17 to preserve his mental state of mind (meaning they suspect it is weak), and now, if things go well with Ben, he will most likely not get another real chance.

I had high hopes for the guy but they quickly faded when I watched his mechanics and his fundamentals and I wonder just what the future holds for him?

I think, regardless of which camp you are in on his 2019 performance, it is not likely that he is the answer when Ben is done. So, his only real chance is with a fresh start somewhere else, but....the Steelers probably aren't going to get rid of him.

Think about this...if he had a decent OC, and if he doesn't get his brain jellied, and if he gets a small few lucky breaks, his life could be very different.

Will he be one of those guys who fades off into never-never land simply because of a couple bad breaks in his first chance on stage?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    LoLandry 2.0.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I cannot see Ben playing two full seasons over the next two years so he should get another opportunity. I’m not optimistic that he is the answer if I’m quite honest but I dont think it’s fair to judge him on 2019 either when the whole offence was hurt. A season or two sitting behind Ben and learning could make a big difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    IFFFFFFF Ben is healthy/ pretty good...How well is the offense gonna play with Fitchner, Dude is in way over his head....I still think the biggest mistake was NOT getting rid of him...Should have brought in a young innovative OC for Bens last few years... Truly shows Tomlins ineptitude

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't see Ben lasting too long either but I think it's clear in today's NFL that you need an elite QB to be competitive annually. I don't judge MR on the small body of work, I judge him on his throwing motion and the fact that he consistently throws flutter balls that Duck Hodges could get six pump action shots off at before they hit the ground, or the defensive player!

Let's hope that the Steelers looked at it this way............. Futchner was a non-factor when Ben was playing because Ben ran the offense so let's not mess with anything right now.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It wasn't all bad for mason. He did enough good things that could serve him and the team well. QB coach now. The qb coach isn't for ben. One good thing is it will be easier to sign him as a backup then as a starter. Remember his rookie year he got 3rd string reps. His 2nd year he became number two but was made number 1 a game and a half into the season so he never really got those 2nd qb reps and teachings. That is a lot of missed instruction. He essentially went from 3rd to first. Big jump in the NFL for anyone. I think he will be fine.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    On the plus side...Heard of/ seen a lot of good things from Canada

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    He will get another chance if Ben gets hurt.

Not expecting much if he does get to play. He played enough that we would have seen if he had potential to be great. He might be able to polish his game if he gets the chance, but at best he could reach only "serviceable backup" status.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Canada is a third world country!:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Corinavirus doesn't even exist there... Haven't heard a peep

11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He was never going to be a can't miss guy. Even though he was great value, there's a reason he went in the 3rd round.

He had no reps in training camp. Got laid out and carried off the field, was smashed on the head with a helmet and then was labelled a racist.

You could not have had a harder year than he had in 2019.

He will rebound. Skills are there. Let him get more reps and learn under Ben as the backup.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I worked in Montreal for a couple years and a couple of friends I made there say its bad. I just don't think their media is quite as sensationalist as ours.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I could not agree more on that statement. But as far as learning under Ben, if he hasn't learned yet how to throw a football, it aint happnin!

As far as being a racist, I hope he does this to MG on the first play.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...E2ADACCFA444CB80BF15E2A&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Mason had more ups than downs despite the perceived perception. Mason was not the full issue. There were plenty of problems; Randy Fichtner being cheif among them. His playcalling earlier in the 2019 Season did Mason little to no favors.

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The way I look at it is he is on the team and backing up Ben for a reason. IF you trust out coaching staff to position this team to be the most competitive it can be, then they should know the personnel better than anyone outside of the organization. If you think they don't know as much as what is posted here, interview with Tomlin for a job. Personally, I don't know what they are doing or why but hope like he!! it works out. I judge success by wins and making the playoffs and that is pretty much it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Agreed. And I suppose that even Futchner knows more than I do.....damn that's hard to say!

With a player in MR's position, I don't judge "him" by wins and loses, but by the fundamentals I see, the craziness around him can lead to all kinds of skewed results but his delivery and ball flight don't lie. Now maybe, if he had some "good" breaks and he won a few games he played well enough in to win, maybe.....just maybe.......I could be looking at it different and saying "wow, the guy is a winner even though his delivery sucks":smiley1: But instead, I am just saying that his delivery sucks:huh:

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Need to draft one if there is a QB there worth taking. Get rid of Hodges and Paxton and let the rookie be 3rd string. Why put all your eggs in Masons basket.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Some can think what they want but the truth is he was injured and pretty badly against the Jets. There’s only 50+ articles written about it. Again he was playing well against the Jets at the time until the injury forced him out of the game. Why would they bench him the following week after making the decision to go back to him after Hodges fell apart if he wasn’t hurt ,especially since he was playing well. Makes entirely no sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I have two answers for you:
    1. You are right
    2. Since you have lost your freaking mind when it comes to Ben, you would say anything to protect someone's chance of replacing him.....hell.....you'd probably rather play Bubby Brister (at his current age) and think we was better than Ben.;)

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    1 Agree
    2 Disagree.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    1. Agree
    2. You can't help it:hehehe:

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    1 Agree
    2 You’re in love:bowdown:......:smiley1:

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    1. Agree
    2. Agree, I am love with winning!

24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    My son and his wife have been in lock down in Toronto for weeks.

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well looks like you’ve been heartbroken lately...;)

• Winner Winner x 1